Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tuning change
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 10:05 AM
Tuning change

Is there anything I should think of before changing my tuning from FADGCF down to CFADGC on my 6-course oud? Of course other than getting the correct set of strings.. My oud was originally designed for the first tuning. Is there any damage that would result from the change?

katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 10:39 AM

safe ..very safe...I would say it may be better for the oud. The FF strings generate more tension on the neck as compared to single C string.

Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 10:43 AM

In fact I'd like to try the double CC base.. to give a more volume..

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 11:30 AM

Kata is right. there is no issue to tune lower.

however, I don't advise going for double C base strings.

first of all they most likely will rattle against each other and the extra tension will be damaging to your oud in the long run.
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 11:37 AM

The oud already had the double bass F strings for 5 years.. But I'll try the single C this time based on your advices.. Since I had a neck warping problem which I fixed lately maybe this will help..

Thank you both :)

patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 11:51 AM

Your oud may well sulk for a few days. Mine doesn't like change of any sort: place, temperature, tuning, diet,:rolleyes:
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 12:02 PM

hehehe.. well I'm used to suffer after changing strings for several days..
but yes mine too doesnt like changes especially in humidity.. it is very rapidly affected and you feel it's a totally different one..

Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-4-2009 at 12:30 PM

Anyways.. tell me which tuning would you prefer if you have a 6-course oud? Im curious about that bass C Ive never tried it :airguitar:

francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 03:19 AM

About the the bass C, I personnaly think it's really missing when you use to play first an oud setted with. I play two ouds, one tuned C GG AA DD gg cc ( I had it first ) and the second FF AA DD gg cc ff. I prefer playing with the first tuning, because of the "drone" C which gives this beautiful round bass sound....
In fact , I often play around C with one and around F with the other. The first plays lower and deeper, the second plays more "catchy".....
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-5-2009 at 03:29 AM

I've been considering this too on my floating bridge oud.

Apparently, floating bridge ouds like high tension strings and I've read posts like Souheil's saying this means that F-f' is more suited than C-c', which is lower tension.

But it seems to me that F-f' is not necessarily any higher tension than C-c' - this depends purely on the string gauges you use. I use high tension Aquilas and don't know the gauges of the C-c' set, but I don't see why it should be any lower tension. Does anyone else have thoughts on this? I think for a lot of the stuff I like to play, C-c' would be better.
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 02:08 PM

You can realize any tuning on your oud without danger if you chose the right string gauges - its purely a matter of musical purpose and some instruments might respond better to a higher or lower tunigs depending on how they are built.
Generally I would try to stay on a moderate to low tension side of stringing - if you don't have any reason to be very loud;
lower tension is (from my experience at least) richer and more flexible in sound and less dangerous for the instrument anyway. Lower tension is also often better projecting afar though one might not hear it as the player. Usually the ear tricks one into believing louder is better, which ist (IMHO) in most cases wrong.

I agree that two C basses are not neceserally a god option, they kind of weaken each other. If your C ist to week you might try a heavier single C string, like a copper wound Aquilla or Pyramid superoud.

best wishes
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-10-2009 at 07:20 PM

Thank you all :)

I am just waiting for the Daniel Mari set to be delivered.. hopefully in a maximum of two weeks.
It sounds like I will be ordering in masses!

Anyone knows their gauges and tension?

rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-12-2009 at 07:45 AM

Hi Reda, don't believe in gauges to much - nylon is not nylon, they have different additives changing the properties of the material, so strings of the same gauge won't play same when they come from different brands. Otherwise you might just buy plain nylon from the fisher shop. It depends also so much on the treatment they give to their strings (prestretching, rectifying, some temperature treatment, polishing the surface, you name it).

With the wound strings it's even worse because there is no straight forward relation between gauge, tension and pitch whatsoever - it depands on the relation of the kernel to winding, material of the kernel, material of the winding, how tight they are wound etc etc ... to many factors to be put into a simple formula. This is what makes a string maker into an artist on its own.

Daniel Mari is an excellent string maker, his strings are rather on the lower tension side of the scale, though they have so much clarity and definition you can ever wish for.

Lower tension strings need some accomodation first because they are apparently not as loud as high tension strings, but they night be more musical and project better - but you have to see for yourself, nobody should be able to talk you into something...

best wishes
Robert

Go To Top