Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nile Shop ouds
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 08:20 AM
Nile Shop ouds

hey people first off.. Iam soo glad I found this site.

ok the question is. I was wondering about getting a nile shop oud from Yahia.
I would like to know from the people who purchased one. Between the finger board and the soundboard, there looks to be a crack on all of them..? is it fragile? and my other question on them would be .. how well do they stay in tune. because thats the reason I want to get a new oud. since its imposible to keep that tourist oud I own more then 5 mins in tune.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 08:44 AM

Search this forum for " tuning " and you will find several remedies to this problem.

Also you can do a search of this forum about the " Nile shop ", there has been several posts on that as well.

Good luck,
Elie
journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 09:04 AM

Hello SamirCanada,
I'm in Toronto by the way, so if you live here too you can come over and check out my Shehata oud and my $160 US oud fitted with viola pegs. I got both through Yehia. In my opinion, based on my experience, it is better to spend a little extra on the Shehata oud as it is a really good instrument. By the time you pay for shipping, a hard case, fitting the tuning pegs etc., the cost of the cheap oud is almost as much as the Shehata. Yehia is great to deal with; very honest and reliable.

All the best,
Roy
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-4-2004 at 09:48 AM

thanks guys...

Iam in montreal my friend but if ever Iam in toronto I will tell you.

do you know if theres a oud merchant in toronto?
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 01:50 AM

:wavey:Hey Samir check out my new oud that I'm getting from Yehia over at the Nile shop. He actually came up with the idea of making it this way. I said it before and I'll say it again go through Yehia if you want something that truly says its your oud and not anyone elses.
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 02:40 AM

With a nice deep red padouk back this oud is going to be beautiful. I love the inlay on the fingerboard and pick guard. Congratulations!
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-5-2004 at 05:38 AM

Hi Samir,
There is a very good oud builder in Montreal. Unfortunately I am in the middle of packing for a move and cannot access his name in my records. He is from Iraq, and builds different types of ouds. If you are willing to dig around a bit, go to the York University web site, which I'm sure you can find through a search, and go to the Fine Arts dept., then music. Look for an e mail contact for Prof. Rob Simms. Rob teaches Middle Eastern music at York and has some of this builder's ouds. Or, you can simply call the university and reach him that way. Good luck.

Roy

Go To Top