Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: You might like it, You might not...
Rhett
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 05:23 AM
You might like it, You might not...

Hello everyone,
I just put together a short for part of a recent exhibition that opened. Anyway, the 3 min sound track for it is a combination of guitar, bowed guitar, which then transitions to a 1 min run on the Oud. Oud is my primary instrument, I've been teaching myself for over 2 years now (you'll probably hear that influence in the guitar playing).
Anyway, its basically in A minor on D, with open d minor textures. It transitions to a D minor maqam Rast hybrid.
Looking forward to comments, hope you like!
borntwiceMorning
Rhett
Rhett
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 10:53 AM
PS

Also, PS
I've never had any fellow Oud player or any player of arabic/turkish music ever even listen to anything I've played unfortunately. Any comments - positive or negative? I know that in that track I'm not exactly following the jins of Rast correctly. Just curious is all...
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 01:09 PM

Well, for what it's worth, I like it, both the film and the music. Not sure if I'd term the last section rast - where the pentatonic structure gets filled in, it sounds closer to bayati to me - pulling more towards the D. Certainly something of a Hamza ad Din influence to it. But the pics and the music go well together. Congratulations.
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-7-2009 at 01:38 PM

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS !

As for the music.. I really like it. Don't worry about not playing the maqam in its traditional form.. I always find it good to get out of traditional box - and you totally did. In fact, it's the first time I am interested while listening to a sort of pentatonic tune with microtones.. which I doubt what you can call it.. but so what.. if it expresses your ideas forget about the maqam or scale and just play it.

I liked it.. and your oud playing is very nice, clean and goes well with the video :applause:

Rhett
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-8-2009 at 06:32 AM

Ah, this is great! to Dave: good call on the Hamza influence, thats where I learned to mix that bluesish pentatonic scale with the quarter tone details! As for the Bayat, like I said I've never had any formal ear training, but i do know bayat is closer to db, and rast closer to e. I thought i was closer to e, but maybe i was just rockin out, or maybe my vibrato is a bit wild, haha! either way, i hear you, that d - a relationship in bayati comes out quite a bit
Reda, thank you as well, I appreciate the commentary. The people I play music with are only really exposed to this type of music from me, so when we play i wind up mediating a lot, and try to sneak in quarter tones and little jins cycles wherever i can. I hear you on the exploration outside of the maqams. cant wait to be proficient in both...
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 12:30 AM

Hi Rhett

I loved it, I enjoyed your film and liked the transformation in image and music and coming full circle. It would be interesting to find a way to pass from the end to the beginning and play on a bit to emphasise the cycle.

I thought your playing was very good, you have nice tone and rhythm particularly in the second section. I enjoyed the first part which reminded me of Ennio Morricone's music for Sergio Leoni (watched Once Upon a Time in the West the other night!!!).

I've been thinking myself of putting together some small films and this has inspired me, so thanks and take heart from the forum.

Leon:)
Rhett
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 05:57 AM

Thank you Leon! This positive commentary is very motivating as well - glad to have motivated you on the film front... I'm waiting for my friend to record a final part with me where the oud and the guitar will sing together - hopefully bringing the idea full circle as you said. Looking forward to your future posts, and really glad to be a part of this community of feedback!

Go To Top