Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying an Oud
Michelle Webb
Oud Lover

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 11:39 AM
Buying an Oud

OK guys....I'm sold.....
Don't laugh but after basically trying to turn my guitar into an oud....basically....I decided to buy one...cool...
There are a couple of places I'm looking at via ebay...

If you go on there you'll see what I mean....
There is this guy in Israel.....free shipping....I don't if I should trust him....then there are some that are more expensive.....$600 /700 range that are here in the states......I guess my really question is ....would you go with the what looks like a really great deal with the guy that is all the way in Israel....( I'm in the states...) or the sure bet.......if there's s something wrong you can return it easy Oud in USA...?
Let me know what you think and thanks....
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 01:14 PM

there are ouds that pop up for sale in the USA regularly, for instance-

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9020

and
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8904

Mike is a good person to contact- fair priced ouds always come and go through his door.

This is not to say the oud in Israel is not a good deal- but if you can find one closer to home it may be easier to deal with in case of any problems that may arise. it helps to have any oud insured for shipping just in case. If you are not sure about any oud or source, just ask in the forum- good luck! :)
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 4-23-2009 at 01:28 PM

Hi Michelle,

Check out these:

Some $500 buck ouds offered by Mike

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8904

or if you're looking to spend a bit more this looks very cool but it's $900:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8076#pid512...

Good Luck,

Paul
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 06:32 AM

Hey Michelle - the two sellers on Ebay from Israel that I'm aware of are the 'bubitrade' and 'land of milk and honey' - both in Israel.... I would stay away from anything other than possibly a GeF simply because they don't look like good instruments.... I haven't heard of anyone from the forum here buying an oud from them so I don't know about thier reputation...

Also, Franck had this posted a while back... http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8155#pid583...

A bit of advice, I bought a really cheap oud to start with and ended up getting a better one within a month or so... Now that cheap Turkish oud sits on a table and just looks pretty.... So it took me $300 to realize that I liked the instrument and wanted a better one right away.... If you think you might be into this for the long run, then I would spend a little more to get a good instrument.... Also, it helps if you can hear it played before purchase.

Good Luck

Chris Walters
msimon
Oud Maniac

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 03:40 PM

I bought from bubitrade, and it was a mess. He sent it with only 10 pegs, when the description had 12, and it broke after a few days. I would not buy an Oud from ebay. It is better to find an oud maker, and to know the wood.
Michael
Segura
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-24-2009 at 04:56 AM

Hi Michelle,

It is not easy to play the oud instead of the guitar. The change is more than hard and I wish you to find a (good) teatcher. And he will be able to help you to find a good instrument.
Cordially,

Alain

Stepan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-21-2010 at 03:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Christian1095  
Hey Michelle - the two sellers on Ebay from Israel that I'm aware of are the 'bubitrade' and 'land of milk and honey' - both in Israel.... I would stay away from anything other than possibly a GeF simply because they don't look like good instruments.... I haven't heard of anyone from the forum here buying an oud from them so I don't know about thier reputation...

Also, Franck had this posted a while back... http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8155#pid583...

A bit of advice, I bought a really cheap oud to start with and ended up getting a better one within a month or so... Now that cheap Turkish oud sits on a table and just looks pretty.... So it took me $300 to realize that I liked the instrument and wanted a better one right away.... If you think you might be into this for the long run, then I would spend a little more to get a good instrument.... Also, it helps if you can hear it played before purchase.

Good Luck
I bought mine from "land of milk and honey'. The neck is bent, the body has 'scratches' under the clearcoat (so it was obviously clear-coated over) and the build appearance is not the best. I addressed my thoughts to him and he gave me my money back and let me keep the oud. I would have been happy with half of the money back, mainly because for $145 (shipped) it was still a good price. Included in that price, I anticipated a few repairs and I've been working on them.

Long story short, if you dont mind a little bit of wood-working (very basic stuff like drilling a hole or two for pegs, using popsicle sticks to raise the strings) it might be worth it. I was shopping for quite a while for a starter and I'm more than happy with this. I live in California and my only other option would be to spend at least $600 for the most basic oud.

I'm new and not sure if I can pick up the oud at my age so I'm glad for this low cost entry oud.
celloting
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 12:46 AM

I would like share my unpleasant experience of buying my first oud from bubitrade, this is the Ebay business arm of arabinstruments and a guy by the name of Assaf Kassel has made a contribution on this thread.
Basically, after much reading and research, I decided to buy one of their Professional Egyptian Oud Arabic With + Sound Sample costing 410USD. Problem was that they sent me the wrong oud, one with a cut-away fingerboard precisely what I did not want. On top of that, the soft case did not fit the oud, particularly the peghead. There was also a fairly massive dent on the top end of the fingerboard.
I contacted them to point out the problem and asked for them to send the oud I paid for, they refused and offered a refund instead, but not including the return postage from UK (which would cost nearly 200USD!), which I suspect these guys already knew full well. They know their business well and like to play games with their customers.
The worst bit was that they never once acknowledged their mistake, never once apologised for sending me the wrong oud and then proceeded to accuse me of 'blackmailing' them and ruining their business! What? I mean, I paid honest money for the oud, they sent me the wrong oud, they never admitted making the mistake. See, I reckon they knew it was not the correct oud yet they sent it. You know why? Because they knew right from the outset that it would cost us (from the West) far too much to return the oud!
They like to play games with customers, so beware! They are only interested in making money and not at all interested in the oud, shame on them.
FastForward
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 07:53 AM

celloting,

Sorry to hear about your experience. It just emphasizes that one has to deal locally when buying an oud. When purchases made online, if things go right then its all good, but when there is something wrong, the buyer gets the end of it unfortunately.

I still don't see the point of someone buying an Egyptian or Syrian oud from an online store in Israel. Why do you need so many middle men. Buy local or buy direct, the risks are the same. I recognize the claim that they have sold many ouds and the buyers were all happy. But, to me, one bad dealing such as the one you indicate is more than enough to show the true way these people deal with you especially that their business is selling ouds.

Again I hope that your situation gets resolved favorably for you.

Go To Top