Printable Version  
Author: Subject: oud lesson -BASICS OF RAST & NAHAWAND
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 07:07 AM
oud lesson -BASICS OF RAST & NAHAWAND

Hi Friends...

A friend and student was just here for the weekend and I recorded for him a short simple oud lesson cover the very basics of makam development of RAST and NAHAWAND.

I just thought I would also share this here. Any constructive critisism is welcome as I always hoping to refine my ability to explain and teach this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1juvZaSk0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZE_O3ww20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LeVzcFbk0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXxrTpnSPwc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvHa5euL4tk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-FOxaFXMfI

Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 07:29 AM

Man the lessons are great!!! :applause::applause::applause:

Very informative.. concise and straight to the point.. Awesome! :D

I wish you could do similar lessons for all maqamat..
Beside the motorcycle noises :P everything is very clear :) I would just ask if you could record a complete taqsim without you speaking over and without noises.. I am sure we will enjoy!

One question: are you teaching the Turkish seyr of Rast and Nahawand?

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 07:45 AM

Thanks Reda, yeah it was really fun. It is great having a keen student because it pushes me to simplify and clarify, and in fact I myself learn much more than he does!

My playing, terminology, style and everything now is all jumbled and mixed up btw arab and turkish :rolleyes: ...but this is what i wanted.

I would say that what i presented here is more the arab way of doing things... but is so basic that it will work fine also with turk.

---you know what the really nice thing is that all the time in Cairo i really felt like i was not make good progress with catching the arab style - - i felt pretty frustrated. But just in the last weeks i have noticed that that cairo trip has totally changed my way of playing oud, and the arab tricks are starting to come out of me very comfortably and naturally... its a great feeling.

i can only say to anyone who really wants to improve their oud playing is GO TO OUDLAND for 3 months and just GO FOR IT! You will never regret!

Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 07:58 AM

Right.. I sensed some mixup between the two theories especially in naming the notes.. but definitely the Arabic style is more dominating.. Arabic phrases.. Arabic ornamentation.. all those little Arabic tricks which make a tune sound Arabic and more "manly" if I can say. Even your tuning is Arabic.. but I asked because as far as I know Arabic Nahawand doesn't progress on the "second floor" on a Bayati tetrachord on Nawa.. but rather Hijaz and Kurd on Nawa on the way up and down.. this is how I learned it.. but it's is very nice as you described and played it.

Again.. I would definitely ask for more videos if possible :rolleyes: and I am sure others will be hands up for it :)

Thank you :applause:

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 08:09 AM

Yes yes yes! I forgot to mention clearly in the NAHAWAND that the "second floor" I was mentioning is only an interesting and very very very common possible variation (mini-modulation). Of course the normal official way is how you describe it. My explanation is meant as a departure once having already totally understood the standard basic simple seyir.

Same as in RAST. developing the dominant with a HICAZ from neva is NOT necessary, but is is extremely common and also beautiful.

I think that I am playing more arabic here simply because I have an araboud in my hands. If it would be a turkish would I would automatically want to play more turkish style.

:rolleyes:

FastForward
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 10:19 AM

Man, that was a lot of fun to watch. Very informative as well.

I liked the octave development of the nahawand.

By the way, was this the oud you picked up when you went to egypt? It sounds great.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 10:43 AM

Thanks so much... I will try to find time to record some more things like this and post for discussion.

Funny thing is that I NEVER play nahawand... but when I comes to teaching a beginner, you really gotta start there.

Yes this is my Cairo oud, and it is the only oud i have left! This one is sounding really sweet now that I shaved off the polyester varnish, and gradually trimmed down the bracing inside by reaching in and cutting and sanding away again and again until I got it to that sweet-spot threshhold point.

I will eventually sell this oud, but at the moment I will keep it because even though I am now basically only playing my ragmakamtar, still, I gotta have an oud around, right!?

However I am feeling very confident about my oud building skill these days and know that if I need an oud affordably I can just make one of modify a semi-pro oud from oudland. I have serious plans to start building ouds - very very simple models - ten pieces at a time, and sell to the local or north american market. BUT, my place of residence is still up in the air, so my ongoing Gypsy status seems to be my karma for the next while. My girlfriend suffered a very upsetting divorce and is not ready yet again for marriage - but it seems that marriage would be the only way for me to get residency status in the EU. On the otherhand we are very blessed with a truly loving relationship so eventually........ I don't mind waiting when in the meantime I can conveniently travel to great musical places for 3 months every 3 months.

Why am I saying all this..... oh, yeah - the point is that I can not really set up my oud building workshop until I really know where I am going to live.

FastForward
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 10:40 PM

More videos would definitely be great.

I understand what you're saying regarding oud building and stability. I am not moving every 3months like you, but in a volatile situation waiting for my next move. This truly doesn't help when you want to build an oud. I hope things go well for you in both personally and professionally.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 02:41 AM

Thanks... yes everything has 2 sides. Being really stable tends to prompt me to just sit for years in one place and never go anywhere... but being forced to move every three months makes me expand my horizons in a way I otherwise would never do.... so I accept that everything that is happening is ultimately for my best interest, and just go with life as it goes... :rolleyes:

Koura
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 02:49 AM

Great lessons Ed- thanks! One can find information on maqamat in many places, but clearly presented info on how to develop them when playing taqasim is less common. Any chance you'll do more?
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Koura
Great lessons Ed- thanks! One can find information on maqamat in many places, but clearly presented info on how to develop them when playing taqasim is less common. Any chance you'll do more?

I am really happy to if I have spare moments, because it helps me to learn also... plus I LOVE this art form and if we do not share it, teach it, and study it, it will die.

But if someone has a specific question or makam in mind, this would help to motivate me :rolleyes:

sabbassi
Oud Junkie

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 05:29 AM

Thank you Edward, great videos
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Powell
Quote:
Originally posted by Koura

I am really happy to if I have spare moments, because it helps me to learn also... plus I LOVE this art form and if we do not share it, teach it, and study it, it will die.

But if someone has a specific question or makam in mind, this would help to motivate me :rolleyes:

Ed.. I suggest - if you have time - to record similar lessons for the basic maqamat: rast, bayati, ushaq, nahawand, kurd, hijaz, hijaz kar, ajam, saba, segah.. you name it. And maybe we can convince Mike to publish the videos in a section on his website.. and then you can open a thread dedicated for asking questions about the videos or other questions related to maqamat.

I know it sound too demanding.. but we would be really grateful if you can do it, even if it would be one lesson at a time, one video per maqam. It will definitely be a great source for learning the basics and sharing with us your experience and knowledge you acquired touring the world.

Thank you again and again and again :applause:

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2009 at 06:14 AM

...well for sure that would certainly push me to get my own "makam house" in order and brush up on all of these basics! ...many of which I have not yet 'properly' learned myself.

I can present some more stuff - NOT in any attempt to present something definitive, but rather as a starting point for discussion.

You are completely right that this art form needs to be more accessible and de-mystified!

thanks for your interest!

...yes, sort of a basic seyir for as many makams as possible would be a great resource. It doesn't really exist yet does it?

fhydan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 08:42 PM

Very nice videos.

Thanks a lot!
Nicola
Oud Maniac

Mood: Gratefull

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 11:36 PM

You are a born teacher!!!
Clear speaking and organaised mind!
Wonderfull
Thanks a lot!
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 12:49 AM

Thanks friends :)Thanks friends ...I am glad they are useful!

sabbassi
Oud Junkie

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 12:20 AM

We want more, we want more, we want more !!

Go To Top