Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My new Karatekeli oud
Kasapcnone
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-28-2009 at 02:15 PM
My new Karatekeli oud

Greetings everyone!

I am learning oud for about a year, taking lessons on regular basis for about 5 months. I used to play a rather low quality oud. After figuring out that it is not just a volatile interest, I am actually pretty much into it, and I have a knack for it; I decided to have a proper one. After playing and listening to various ouds owned by a virtuoso (who also happens to my master, Murat Bağdatlı;), I decided that the one made by a luthier named Barış Yekta Karatekeli from İzmir was truly expressing my taste and expectations, and thus ordered one. I received the oud and I can say that I got far more than my money's worth.
I am not getting into describing how it sounds, but rather invite you to be the judge.
However, the exquisite craftsmanship harnessing slickness and simplicity, along with its ergonomy awed even a fastidious guy like me.

The bowl is made of alternating staves of Juniper and Indian yew
The pickguard is of tortoise shell
The rosettes are of fiberglass (I was kind of stingy there, rosettes of horn or tortoise shell are also available)
The extended fingerboard is of ebony
The pegs have brass and mother of pearl inlays
Strings are Pyramid brand
The casket has been purchased from a seperate manufacturer. Pricy, but heavy duty.

I am posting pictures of it, and a recording of how it sounds can be found on this link. (I wish I was the player but unfortunately, Mr. Bağdatlı played that in my stead. I figure I need a decade or two to pull something even close)

http://rapidshare.de/files/46944922/taksim.mp3.html

[file]8959[/file]
Kasapcnone
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-28-2009 at 02:28 PM

The bowl
Kasapcnone
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-28-2009 at 02:34 PM

Soundboard close-up
Kasapcnone
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-28-2009 at 02:39 PM

The pegbox
Kasapcnone
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-28-2009 at 02:41 PM

Pegs
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 4-28-2009 at 04:24 PM

Hey Kasapcnone,

That's a very Beautiful OUD...and it sounds Amazing :D
Congratulations...enjoy playing it in good health ;)

Regards,
Ibrahim
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 01:48 AM

That's one perfectly crafted oud :applause:

Congratulations!! Great sound and beautiful taksim.. hope you'll reach better playing someday :) keep it on and please post some recordings of yours..

Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 03:01 AM

Very beautiful oud and really nice sound. Play it in good health :)

I have a question though.. whats this new trend with the Fiberglass Rosettes... ? why should expensive ,quality ouds like Faruk's or this Karatekeli one (it has similar if not same rosettes like Faruk's by the way) use fiberglass and not for example Wooden (if there is a problem with horn and tortoise rosettes - many have problem because of animal abuse or different laws .I can understand that) ?

Nikos
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 04:02 AM

Personally I don't agree with the using of tortoises shell.
I work and search since many years about tortoises and their numbers, considering all kinds in every part of the world, shorts faster and faster. A tortoise needs twenty years to be an adult and to reproduce.
It seems that turkish ouds are generally made with tortoise shell rosettes or ( and ) pickguards? Is it an old use? I'm not sure that I see this material on old instruments....
Sometimes, when we choose a material , even little pieces, to get a better ( or modern ) aesthetic, we don't consider what can be the disaster we run with.
The mean reason for the tortoises decline is human "activity". It is known that these animals won't live wild in a few decades....
So, wood is the best choice, of course
Remember what is the meaning of "al ud"......
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 04:07 AM

I add that a few tortoises farms exist , but they generally don't sell the shells, which are reduce in powder to feed the next generations!
But Kasapcnone's oud is a really beautiful oud, I don't want to forget to say that!
I wish he have a long musical walk with it!
Kasapcnone
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 09:29 AM

Hi people, thanks for all the nice things, and amin! I also hope to play it in good health for a veeeery long time!

Quote:
Originally posted by Multi Kulti
whats this new trend with the Fiberglass Rosettes... ?

The truth about Fiberglass rosettes: Actually Barış told me that he accidentally dropped the big rosette he cut for me from horn on the floor, snapping it in two in the process. And anxious to have my new oud ASAP, I said "Nevermind, cut a fiber one" (with a discount in my favor). As I received the oud, I decided that fiber is good enough, it is slick, and it gives a very beautiful contrast with the dark interior of the oud, accentuating the craftsmanship of the rosette.
I never wanted a shell rosette at the first place, because it is dark, and seriously, where is the sense in putting a dark ornament in front of a dark background?. On top of that, fiberglass seems to be a very less brittle material, so, I am having a rosette drawn by my wife made, and I will show you how it looks when the time comes (normally, it has so fine and sharp details that it is not possible to be cut from horn or shell). Consequently, Fiberglass is an easily craftable material very fitting to be a rosette methinks.

Quote:
Originally posted by francis
Personally I don't agree with the using of tortoises shell.

As for Francis' concern, I respect that, but as far as I know, the shells of the turtles which are already dead are used. My mızrap is of plastic, and so are the rosettes (fiber, so to speak) but hey... Turtle shell just-looks-awesome on a pickguard.
HOWEVER, I hope no living tortoise has been killed for my pickguard, I would not be comfortable with that....

So, Cheers!
Faladel
Oud Junkie

Mood: ya salam

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 09:14 AM

Hi

you can put the direction and the phone or the Web of MR.Bar ış Yekta Karatekeli from İzmir .
Thank you

Oud Player
Kasapcnone
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Faladel
Hi

you can put the direction and the phone or the Web of MR.Bar ış Yekta Karatekeli from İzmir .
Thank you

There you go...
GSM: +90 532 4335366
Office: +90 232 2778890
e-mail: barisyektakaratekeli@hotmail.com

Go To Top