Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: My new production, 3 sexy ouds !!
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 07:00 PM

Yes.....

These oud have a beuatiful bright tone. Very Iraqi school.

Ali - will you also be experimenting with the bent sound board? like on a mandolin?

Fadel - which strings are you using? is it pyramid custom set? nice sound

Regards

Sam
khalil
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 07:00 PM

khalil//
that's what i think:
the first has a Beautiful and strong sound
the second is few better.
but the third is the best.
lucky is the player who will acquire one of them.
Alioud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Extremely Happy!

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 07:17 PM

Khalil My dear.. you made my day. I am truly happy with your words. Thank you so much for your time to listen and evaluate each one of them. and the bracing system in the third oud is totally different from the other 2. It has a bracing system designed to accentuate the bases and increase the resonance to a ridiculously high level ! The whole soundboard is a real sub-woofer. I might be coming to Morocco soon.. you will definitely play a couple of my ouds.

Melbourne,

Fadel is playing the second oud, Padauk-Rosewood oud. The strings are Pyramid Lute strings and they are my standard strings which I play daily. From Trebel to Base: 625 Rectified-Nylon (F), 725 RN (C), 1007 (G), 1013(D), 1116(C), 1033(F).

Now.. an Archtop Oud... This was done before I think but I haven't seen the results. The idea of Archtop is the principle of Soundboard Graduation. I do graduate my soundboards and also my braces. So, in theory, my soundboards are somehow archtop without the arch. They start strong and relatively thick and terminate into airy thinness.
But, I might experiment with a non braced archtop small oud... hmm... sounds interesting already to me.
khalil
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-1-2009 at 08:36 PM

Ali dear friend.
listening and evaluating your ouds is the less thing i can do for you.,never mind;
welcome in morocco,i'm sure you will enjoy your stay with me and my family ;and i will be very glad to play your ouds ;it will be an honor and great pleasure for me to do.
our second language in morocco is frensh.so,please excuse my faults in english.there have been so long time i didn't use it for my writings.
your brother khalil.
khalil
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 01:41 PM

By the way,dear friend;Tabit al Basry's 7*9 theory is also designed to accentuate the bases and increase the resonance.but with the traditional system bracing; ther's no way to compare or liken yours with others.but i think you should,as possible as you can, experiment and try out his theory;in order to evaluate it and make out its value.
khalil
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 04:08 PM

Dear Ali
Ther's newness in tabet's web site.in our old subject;in wich we were confronted.
Mr Tabet claims an apology from you.
you have a great heart.and I wish you will do.
please do it as a favour to me.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 06:40 PM

Thanks Ali!

Actually I am currently in the process of having a bashir oud built for me by a local luthier here in Melbourne - it is based on the very early fadel models and it will have the 57cm string length and bent soundboard. I will definitely post the results once it is ready and hopefully show some work in progress photos along the way.

Thanks for the string info too! do you get these from Matthias Wagner?

Regards;
Sam
Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 09:47 PM

Khalil Dear.. I will post my reply in the Arabic forum you are referring to soon. Thank you for your concern and your kind words.

Melbourne I will be more than happy to listen to your oud once it is done. I am interested in soundboard graduation and would really love to hear an archtop oud.

Matthias is a very nice person and I bought around 10 sets from him in 2 seperate orders, but I am currently buying around 15 to 20 sets at a time and I get a 33% discount when I purchase directlty from Pyramid, so I am buying direct now. I also order a lot of different gauges these days and it is just easier for me to order the -unorthodox- gauges directly from Pyramid.

But if you're ordering single sets or anything less than 250 Euros, the difference is small between Matthias and Pyramid and I would personally order from Matthias in the case of small quantities. The set I was referring to is P10 in Matthias's website.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 05:27 PM

Very nice work Ali. Do us a favor and post pics of the padauk after it has darkened. I'm amazed by the low action without and buzzing. Congratulations!

charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 04:20 AM

Ali, The playing is outstanding and so are your Ouds. The Iraqi sound and style can be so powerful. Im wondering how much you would sell these ouds for?. Thankyou for the beautiful music.

Best Wishes, Charlie
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 04:48 PM

Silly me :mad: you already gave the price. Thank you, they are of a very reasonable price.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-5-2009 at 07:34 PM

Jameel... I will sure do once it oxidizes. Thank you for your comment.

Charlie Oud... I would have repeated the answer because there are lots of replies in this thread now :)

Ok...

Now, This is Mr. Saad Mahmoud Jawad the Oud teacher in the Bahrain Music Academy playing the Padauk-Rosewood oud. I hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYlWTaRAhVw&feature=channel_page

This is another clip on the Maqam Lami

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNGyOzgERHc&feature=channel

The rosewood oud is already in Syria with the magnificent player Kinan Ednawi and I am waiting for a recording too.
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 5-6-2009 at 05:47 AM

Ali
Could you get voice clips from Saad or Kinan talking about the quality of these ouds?
Looking forward seeing Kinaan playing the rosewood oud.

norumba
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 11:02 PM

these look interesting indeed -- can you make a 7 course instrument?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top