Printable Version  
Author: Subject: makam vs dastgah
mary
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-7-2009 at 09:41 AM
makam vs dastgah

Hi-
I'm not an oud player, but hoping to benefit from some knowledgeable folk here...

I'm a beginner (kamanche) to the world of Persian music, a somewhat-less-than beginner (clarinet) to the world of Turkish music, and I'm in search of some historical information about how Turkish makam is related to Persian dastgah. There are so many words, names of scales, etc that are the same (largely Persian adopted into Turkish vocabulary), but to my ears, for example, Turkish Segah doesn't resemble Persian Segah at all.

At what point did the traditions diverge? Or if they never were that strictly related, why do they share so much vocabulary?

I'm open to Arabic maqam, Azeri mugam, Central Asian versians being thrown into the mix...

Thanks in advance!

mary
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 03:20 AM

i don't know much about dastgah ... but turkish segah sounds very very different than arab segah (sikah) simply because about 80 years ago arabs and turks decided to play the segah note in different positions. The result is a very differing sound segah/sikah makam ------ perhaps something similar happened btw turk/persian segah? probably yes.

mary
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2009 at 12:40 PM

Someone sent me this link, which provides some interesting Persian/Turkish classical music relations...

http://www.showqname.com/intro.htm

Go To Top