Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud-building class
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 04:10 PM
Oud-building class

I've been getting an increasing number of inquiries about building ouds lately. I can't count the number of emails I've received over the years about the details of making these instruments.

Since there are few oud-makers in the United States, I though it would be a neat idea to see if there is enough interest to hold an oud-making workshop at some point. This is an idea I've been playing around with for some time.

The rise of woodworking schools over the past decade has been quite steady, and there are several small schools throughout the country that specialize in fine woodwork, lutherie, chairmaking and other fine wood-related crafts. The blossoming of find hand-tool manufacturers has also greatly increased in the past decade. For example, 10 years ago there were no manufacturers of western-style handsaws producing tools of the same quality of the old days (pre WWII). With the advent of power tools and machinery, most of the traditional techniques and processes were abandoned, along with the fine quality that handwork produced. But that has changed. There are now several makers producing hand saws that exceed the quality of the old makers. This is just one example. This is also true of hand planes and other fine woodworking tools. And it's still growing. And that's good for luthiers and fine woodworkers everywhere who are rediscovering the precision and flexibility that fine hand tools provide.

So it's in this atmosphere that this idea for an oud-building workshop came to mind.

I think in order to make this happen, I'll need to see how much interest there is for such an event.

Please feel free to share your thoughts about this. Format, length of the workshop, goals for the workshop, etc.

Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 07:06 PM

I think that's a fantastic idea - and would make a killer thread on the forums!

But I think more to the point Jameel - every one wants to have one of your ouds ;)
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 07:38 PM

Great thing to do Jameel
If one can know about woodwork and the basics of oud making, afterwards one can practice in his or her Atelier it would be a great workshop, at least for me.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 08:03 PM

sign me up

Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 09:25 PM

If I were in the US I would definitely sign up.
Great idea Jameel !
:applause:

Alioud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Extremely Happy!

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 09:36 PM

Because I love your fine and highly artistic woodworking abilities and I am sure I can learn a lot from you, I would fly to the US to attend your workshop Jameel...

Count me in.
GeorgeK
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 08:39 AM

I'd be there in a heart beat. As for format, length, goals of the workshop, I'd say that
since most of the people will have to travel (from abroad) to your workshop then (unfortuantely), it
should be a short course. A longer course could be given over the internet, but I prefer the hands-on
approach.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 08:44 AM

nice idea Jameel. will we come learn how to build and perhaps repair an oud, and maybe leave the workshop with an oud we have made or started upon, or would making an oud take too long for what you have planned? what is the accomodation scene there like? are you thinking just short term workshop or longer term course or maybe offer both? regards, MW
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 03:33 PM

Wow. Great responses!

Right now I have a bunch of ideas about how this could work. And it would take some serious planning. One format that has seemed to work quite well are the summer lute-building workshops hosted by David Van Edwards. (see http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/summers.htm) They all work together on one instrument and by the end of the course it's done, ready to play. They donate it to the local lute society. That way everyone gets to fit a rib or two, and have a hand in every aspect of the rest of the instrument. You don't leave with a finished instrument, but more importantly the knowledge of how to make one. It's still an intensive week, since making a complete lute/oud in a week's time is a task even for a pro, but the rewards would be worth it. More than one (me!) oud-makers doing the class might also be an idea. If you're an oud-maker and you think this is a good idea, please chime in or drop me an email.

So, still just playing with an idea at this point. Please feel free to share your own ideas.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 06:59 PM

Wow. An oud in a week.
I've only made a few, but each one takes me about 120 to 140 hours!
It seems like that it would be a lot to ask that an oud get completed in a week. After a rib or two is fitted, you have to wait at least several hours before the next one is fitted. So really, not many could get fitted in a week.
To me, it doesn't matter. It would be nice to just see a master such as yourself in action--fitting the ribs, going over the attachment of the neck to the neck joint, peg box basics, stuff like that.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 5-10-2009 at 07:57 PM

Jameel,

Thanks, I got such a great feeling when I read your post just now. I've been thinking about learning how to build ouds for a long while now, but I didn't know how to get started (I've never worked with wood before, though I am honestly healthily obsessed with it).

Please count me in. I'll happily sweep the floors for the class if it means learning about building ouds!

:applause:

Let's do this! Let us know when and how, I really want to take part.

Thanks!

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
sabbassi
Oud Junkie

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 01:31 AM
Very interesting

Hi Jameel, This is a very good idea and will be an occasion to meet each other .
You can sign me up at least for now and hope the time will be appropriate.
Thanks

Samir
Netherlands
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 06:43 AM
Great Idea

Jameel,

I'd love to come to Iowa for a class. It would be nice to be able to take a "goodie" home - maybe the endblocks of a mold or a braced and graduated top. Also learning the lay-up technique for a double-top would be fantastic. Please keep us informed.

Harry

3oudplayer
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 10:17 AM

Thank you for the U2U Jameel , But the best after Nahat is Nazih Ghadban , Where most of the Lebanese musicians buys his ouds , Although they are costly but if I can afford them i will buy them , I have a Ghadban oud and love it .
Wish you all the best.
Jack

Go To Top