Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: afghan rubab
chismes
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-14-2009 at 03:41 AM
afghan rubab

Hi everyone,

Where can I get a afghan rubab? Is there any page of this kind of instruments for sale?
I look for someone but it´s very difficult find it.

Thanks
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-20-2009 at 04:49 PM
Afghan Rubabs

Hello,

I'm from Sasurai-Gakki, we are an ethnic music instrument buying service in Japan.

I have several Afghan Rubabs available for shipping now. These were made by Master Khuram. He is one of the best makers still in existence and makes wonderful instruments.

I own and play two of his instruments. One classical size and one standard size. They have great sound and are made from very good mulberry.

I currently have several I can send photos of if you give me your email address. Here is a quick listing of what I have.

2 - Standard Size Plain/No decoration Rubabs: They are $450.00 each before shipping. These instruments were made and shipped to us in April. The mulberry is still yellowish but will darken over time. Both have three melody strings, 2 drones, 12 sympathetics and 1 high string.

1 - Smaller Folk Rubab: This instrument is 2 years old. The wood has taken on a warm orange brown tone. It was shipped to us in Japan in early May and has never been used here or before shipping. It has an unusual design mark on the fret board that is a signature mark of the maker. The sound of this Rubab is a little brighter than the standard size. The tone is wonderful. The asking price for this instrument is $425.00

1 - Full Decorated Rubab: This instrument is a special made instrument made and delivered a few weeks ago. It has 1/2 face detailed decoration and a larger design lower on the fretboard by the maker. It has neck decoration and detailed decorative circles on the body. The tuning head also has full detailed decoration.

This instrument is very special as it has a great look and wonderful sound. The asking price for this on is $700.

All instruments are shipped well packed and include a change of strings. Shipping costs from Japan depend upon your preference. We advise insured postal service or airfreight and can provide pricing for shipping upon request.

Sasurai-Gakki provides instruments to the Japanese ethnic music community. We are a not-for profit group supporting ethnic music study and performance. We import instruments directly from makers and provide Persian, Turkish, Afghan, Uzbek and Chinese instruments. If you are looking for something, chances are we can help you find it.

Cheers,

Sasurai-Gakki

michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 5-21-2009 at 05:05 AM

Hi rubabplayer.
Can you send me photos of the instruments you have for sell, prices and shipment costs to Spain?
I´m interested in afghan, uzbek and chinese instruments
micheloblues@yahoo.es
Thanks in advance
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-21-2009 at 04:43 PM
Photos

Sure. I'll send some photos tonight of some of the instruments.

Is there anything special you are looking for?

RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-21-2009 at 04:51 PM
Other Instruments

We have a few other instruments available too.

Uyghur Dotar made in Kashgar. Very nice instrument with great decoration. USD350.00

2 x Decorated Mahogany Saz from Izmir Turkey. These are very nice instruments for intermediate players. Good sound and very nice design work. USD250.00

1 x Uzbek Rubab: This is the six string type with a body similar to the Afghan Rubab but with a longer neck similar to the Persian type. It has great sound and is a pretty rare instrument to find available. USD400.00

We can also provide some of the following.

Chinese Ruan (Zhong Ruan)

Chinese Erhu

Japanese Shamisen (Nagaota or other types)

Japanese Sanshin from Okinawa

Japanese Biwa (special order only due to very limited availability and high price of these instruments)

Japanese Koto: (special order only due to the size and shipping limitations)

Afghan Dotar: Herati or two string type.

Afghan Tanbur: Standard type.

Persian Setar: Special order

Persian Tar: Special order

Persian Daf Drum

Turkish Saz: We can provide several types from various makers.
michoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 01:02 AM

Hi rubabplayer!
did you send me the photos and information? I ask you because I delete all my new mails by mistake...:shrug:
chismes
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 04:01 AM

hello rubab player, send me the photos and the costs of shipping to my email arroba,yahoo.es. ,, I´m interested in the ruan and the sanshin too. Thanks

hello michoud,
creo que alguna vez ya habiamos coincido por este foro, veo que tambien estas interesado en instrumentos dificiles de encontrar y aun más de tocar, luego te enviare un email con algunas fotos de los instrumentos que me he agenciado, un saludo.
michoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 04:38 AM

ok!
Gracias! ya te manaré las fotos de los mios, pero dame un poco de tiempo porque ando liadisimo, ya que presentamos el documental de la música en siria junto con el concierto en una semana, y no tengo las fotos en el ordenador.
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 06:28 AM

Dear Michoud and Chismes.

I sent photos a few moments ago to your email accounts. Please let me know if you have questions or want to see other photos.
And feel free to ask any questions too.

One other note. We can custom order Rubab also. So if you have a specific set up, size or detailing that you want we can provide it.
Custom instruments take about 30 days to make and prices are based on quotations from the maker when we submit your requirements.

Very best,

Sasurai-Gakki
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 08:30 AM

Hi Rubabplayer.

Could you send photos here, on this forum.....for all those who are reading this thread with interest, like I do?
It's a little bit frustrating to read :"I sent photos to your email"......the shop without the pictures.:shrug:

Regards,

Francis
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 5-24-2009 at 05:09 PM
Photos

Hi Francis,

Here are a couple photos. I will add more later today.

Plain Rubab side.

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-24-2009 at 05:10 PM
Rubab photo 2

Plain Rubab front

RainInEden
Tokyo, Japan
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-24-2009 at 05:11 PM
Rubab Photos

Rubab Decorated

RainInEden
Tokyo, Japan
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-24-2009 at 05:15 PM

More photos to follow

RainInEden
Tokyo, Japan
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-24-2009 at 05:30 PM

Thanks Tkoind for help posting the photos. I will post more photos of some of the other Rubab later today.

I also wanted to post that we can order custom made Rubab also. They take about 30 days to make and you can provide specifications.

I'll post photos of our past instruments so you can see other options soon.

francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 01:13 AM

Hi Tkoind and Rubabplayer.

Thanks for the photos!
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 11:47 PM
Link to Rubab Photos

I have set up a gallery with more photos of the four instruments I have available now. All are great instruments that I have tested. The sound is fantastic and all are made of very nice mulberry.

If you have questions, please email me.
http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p354/Tkoind/May_June%201009%20Ru...
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 06:08 AM
Special Offer Plain Rubab

We have two great plain Rubab available now. Summer is coming and we will have a few more instruments arriving soon. So I would like to clear a couple of the plain instruments soon.

So I am offering a significant discount on the Plain Rubas if purchased between today and June 15th. The original price was $450. For orders before June 15th I will let these go for $400 each.

Cronan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 02:02 PM

Hello,
I am from France, I do have some musical instruments from Central Asia for sell :
Afghan rebab
Afghan Tanbur
AFghan dutar
Dutar Uzbek
Sato Uzbek
Tanbur Uzbek
Qoshnay
Doyra
Ney...
I will be in Uzbekistan this sumer, if you have sepcial order, let me know !
My email address : cronan.sr @ wanadoo.fr
Best regards
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-4-2009 at 02:50 AM
Other Sasurai Gakki Instruments

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p354/Tkoind/

Here are photos of other instruments we offer.
I currently have one great Uyghur Dotar available for $300

You can also see the great Tanbur from Uzbekistan that we have as well. The ones in the photos are not for sale, but this level instrument is available by special order.
michoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 09:33 AM

Hi Rubabplayer
Real good instruments.
The distance between frets in rubab, dutar... are the same like western instruments (haf tone) or like persian instruments like tar or setar?
About Uyghur Dotar...is from afghanistan??Is this instrument like the one Aziz Herawi plays in his cds?
Thanks
Cronan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 10:03 AM

Hello Michoud !

I think Uygur dotar is different to Afghan dotar.
Uygur dotar is long neck 2 silk strings.
Afghan dutar is not as long as the Uygur dotar and the 2 strings are from metal more as the Iranian dotar.

Abaout the fret, in all Central Asia, and more..., the frets are not as on the Occidental systeme : call "tempered" in French is tempéré. Except the instruments made under the influance of the Russian music (I saw in Tachkent, Uzbekistan, dutar and rebab with fixted fret in tempered systeme). Rebab, dutar, sato, rawap, tanbur, satar, etc., are all in natural systeme.
For your question Michoud, the fret on the rebab are disposed in half tone, but in natural systeme. Tar, setar, Turc tanbur use to have some thing mixted between natural and tempered systeme : they play with "coma" or micro intervalle.
If you tune your rabab, oud or all instrument in natural systeme with a electronic "tuner" you will do some thing wrong because electonic tuner use to tun only in tempered systeme. Then your instrument will be tuned ready to play with a piano but all the symatic strings will never sing !
We should to tune instrument like that with ear, "à l'oreille". It taks time, but you will get exactly what you want.

All the best
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 07:15 PM

Hello Michoud,

Cronan's response is pretty on target.

There are serveral types of Rubab that are made. The ones in my photos are traditional Afghan types that are made in Afghanistan and the Peshawar region of Pakistan.

There is a similar instrument made in the Herat area that has a slightly longer neck. This Rubab has six frets with a mixe of Persian and Afghan fret spacing. And a different configuration of the strings. These are extremely hard to get but I have been pursuing a maker in Herat to see if we can get some.

About the Dotar. Cronan is right here too. The Uyghur Dotar is 2 silk strings and is very different than the Aziz Herawi instrument.

I have two Afghan Dotar in stock now and am expecting to have one or two more sometime soon. The two I have now are made by the same maker as the Rubab. These are similar to some I have seen Aziz Herawi play but also a little closer to the Afghan Tanbur than his usual model. The sound etc... is quite similar.

One is a 4 main string, 10 sympathetic string instrument. The other is a 13 sympathetic and 6 main string (closer to the Tanbur type).

For Afghan Dotar this is an instrument that has only existed about 50 years when Herati artists combined the standard Afghan Dotar of old (similar to the Uzbek instrument) and added the drone strings. This gives it the same intense reverb and singing quality that you get with a well tuned Rubab.

But the Afghan Dotar are tricky. I had asked John Bailey about tuning and scale and he said that nearly every instrument is unique. So I've asked our maker to make a video with his interpretation of scale and tuning so I can include copies of it to help buyers know how to make this instrument sound as the maker intended.

If you are interested in the Afghan Dotar or the Afghan Tanbur I have stock and can send you photos. All are nicely decorated and sound great. The only issue I have is that they ar hard to play with non-Afghan instruments in an ensemble setting as many of our clients want to do. So I am exploring with the maker a new scale to reset the frets so that they are friendlier to ensemble play. But either setting is available.

We can have one made to specific settings on request too.
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-6-2009 at 07:17 PM

The Tanbur is 15 sympathetics and 6 mains. Note that 4 of the 6 mains are drone strings on the Tanbur with a single pair played for melody.

Dotar are similar but with 1 melody string.
michoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2009 at 08:50 AM

Thanks, please send me all details (photos, details of tunning...) about afghan dotar and afghan tambur, with price and shipment costs to Spain.
Thanks a lot
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top