Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: playing strap
eastmountain
Oud Lover

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:13 PM
playing strap

Does anyone use a neck or shoulder strap for playing oud, either standing or seated? I have a large belly myself, and I find it hard to keep the oud positioned for playing. With guitar, I use a strap even when I sit, and I was wondering if such a thing is ever used for ouds...perhaps like some classical players do?
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:25 PM

There's a clip somewhere in the forum of a guy standing up playing oud at some party using a strap, but then he was using a thin bodied electric oud. have you considered a flat back oud?-
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=8923
I see no reason why you couldn't or shouldn't attach a strap to your oud if it helps you, perhaps have a luthier install an endpin like on your guitar.
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 5-20-2009 at 07:15 AM

I know John Berberian and some other Armenian American oud players have been using straps for their ouds for many years. I believe Joe Kouyoumjian uses one too. Some use it sitting or standing.
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2009 at 07:26 AM

BTW, I have seen some oud players use a piece of rubberized carpet stablizers. They are the thin rubber pieces that go under small rugs to prevent slipping. I use one myself. A friend bought one for me in a dollar store for one dollar. Just cut out a piece and lay it on you lap or between your oud and your belly it should hold your oud in place
patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 5-20-2009 at 09:43 AM

I'd like to use a strap too, even though I haven't got a belly (yet). There's a solid piece of wood at the base of the neck (the neck block?). Could one end be fastened to a pin inserted here, with the other in a conventional end pin? It could give a better balance than fastening the strap to the peg box and keep the oud in front with the neck out to the side.
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2009 at 04:53 PM

here is a link to a youtube video of John Berberian standing and with strap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnk09aj3upI

Go To Top