Printable Version  
Author: Subject: faruk oud and type of strings
zou
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-16-2009 at 04:37 AM
faruk oud and type of strings

hi friends oudists
i just receive my fantastic faruk oud (arabic bracings) with krushner strings, but i didn't like them perhaps because they are very high tension what do you think about aquila for a 58.5 oud ? and what do you think about pyramid lute strings (what gauges will you choose for this length) ?
thank you for your answers.
ziad
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 12:56 PM

hi Ziad- hey no one has replied to you yet? as you know, strings are a frequent topic in the forum. If you got the oud new from usta Faruk Turunz then I am sure he would have made sure it had good strings on it and the right tension. Pyramid and Aquila are fine, just get the right tension for your oud, ie. don't buy strings for an Arabic oud and then tune them up to Turkish tuning.
if you search 'strings' you'll find a lot of feedback, then there are some postings listed in the FAQs section of this section of the forum on strings and tunings/tension, and some very recent posts on strings and tensions as well. do a bit of dective work bud and you'll find all the answers somewhere here in da forum.reards, MW :cool:
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2009 at 06:40 PM

Hi Ziad,

My recommandation is to go for Pyramids strings. I used them before and the tension is very low compare with so many strings. I have no idea bout the gauges and numbers. People might help you in this forum with that.

As Mathew, you might not get any reply to your question before this subject is covered already in the his forum. You might go to search option and find the replys about this question.

Thanks
zou
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 01:28 AM

thank you Matthew and dubai244 i will make this research.
ziad
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 03:35 AM

Hi Zou,

Firstly, congratulations on purchasing a Faruk Türünz oud, you will never regret that decision.

Dubai244 has a Faruk Türünz oud, is a very fine player and recommends Pyramid strings.

I also have a Faruk Türünz oud 58.5 cm (Arabic model) and I would recommend Aquila nygut strings. (The standard Arabic tension, not the lights). They have two Arabic sets, CFADGC and DGADGC. These strings are designed for a 60 cm vibrating stringlength and are generally regarded as being fairly high tension.
So they are high in tension at 60 cm, but I find they are perfect (for my playing) at the shorter scale length of 58.5cm. I have tried several other (more expensive) sets, but always come back to the Aquilas.

Good luck.

Greg
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 04:08 AM

Zou,
In my opinion the safest and simplest method which will require the least amount of research on your part is as follows:

If you like Pyramid lute strings or are willing to try them out, send an email directly to the factory:
pyramid@junger.de

In which you tell them you want Pyramid Lute strings. Give them the exact tuning that you intend to use and most important, the string length from bridge to "nut". They will calculate the proper string size you need for your tuning. They will email you an invoice showing you how much each string costs and the total at the bottom.

My contact there is Sabine Holz and I've had only pleasant experiences working with her, she is great.

By the way, recently I bought some Kueschner strings to try them out after having used Pyramid lute strings for over 1 year straight. In my opinion, though the Kueschners were the same gauge as the Pyramids, the K's felt heavier to me, higher tension. Pyramid lute strings have a nice loose and slinky feel to me but without compromising power, they pack a really loud punch so I think you will be pleased.

Good luck! Let us know...

Adam
zou
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 05:41 AM

thank you my friends for your advices... you are great.. in fact nothing replace the experience..
adamgood i think the oud came with a set of kurshner strings but i find them very high tension for my playing... in this time i'm trying labella and i think they need some stability and after i will make my jugement.
thank you brothers.
ziad
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 09:56 AM

Congratulation on you oud, Zou!

I have a 58,5 floating bridge arabic oud (Nasir shamma style).
I have tried 8 different types of strings on it (including Aquiula standard. Too high tention!)
And I setteled with the daniel marie (thanks to Charlie) strings tuned to EADgcf (ff from Aquila nylgot). And I am VERY pleased with it. And I am using it to record my new CD. Lovelig sound!

I suggest you try that : )

p.s. I am planning to try Aquila light tension (form Jameel) next time I am changing the strings.
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 02:08 PM

Hi guys,

Regarding tension, I think it's great that you are all aware of it. Then please take the extra effort to make contact with your favorite string maker and order custom sizes to your own specifications for your own instrument. This is a great way to get more in touch with your instrument and you will learn something about string gauges and tension along the way. Why settle for "lite, medium, heavy" gauge when you can really go string by string to get what you want.

The folks at Pyramid or Kueschner are more than willing to help you get what feels right for you. If you feel something is too thick or heavy, ask for something leaner.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 5-18-2009 at 11:28 PM

Hi there

Congratulations on your new oud - as good an oud as your ever likely to get. My advice is to ask the master, Faruk knows his ouds like no other so check with him.

Best wishes - play in health

Leon:)

Go To Top