Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Stuff from Khalaf Oud
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-19-2009 at 07:22 AM
New Stuff from Khalaf Oud

Dear fellow Oud players,

I've added some great new items to my website you might be interested in.

First is a new Micro-Fiber cloth that is great for cleaning the oud of skin oils and dust. If you've never tried micro-fiber, brace yourself. It's incredible. The stuff grabs and removes dirt and grime like you wouldn't believe. And it won't damage your finish. It's super soft. I even use these cloths in the shop to clean my fine woodworking tools. They are awesome.

Lemon oil. Nothing special here, but it comes in small bottles which are much more convenient than the big bottles you get at the hardware store. Drip dispensing tip. Use this on the micro-fiber cloth and its almost like refinishing your oud. Also keep your fingerboard from drying out and getting too grungy.

Carnauba wax makes your oud shine like Liberace's piano. If that's not what you're after, use some lemon oil. But for maintaining a nice shine on an oud with a film finish (lacquer for example, or varnish) this stuff rocks. Carnauba dries hard, so it not only polished up nice, it also protects the existing finish on your oud. Good stuff, and it's natural too. Carnauba wax comes from trees.

Humidifier. I blogged about this last year when a customer found himself in Las Vegas for a couple days. It's the best humidifier out there for ouds. Perfect size for our soft case or any hard case, it can't leak, it's cheap, and it does its job. I'm enjoying the lovely spring weather at the moment, but make sure you get one of these before it starts getting cold again (forced air heat makes homes drier in the winter than the Sahara desert), or if you live in the southwest.

One more thing. Go Lakers! (Yeah, Mike converted me last summer). In fact, I'm typing this post with my Lakers T-shirt on. Game 1 of the Western Finals is tonight. Stress-free wins, right Mike? :D

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-19-2009 at 08:18 AM

Nice new products Jameelo...and yeah, hopefully stress free, but I doubt it. Denver is playing well right now and Chauncey Billups is a huge influence on the previously erratic Nugg players. So it's going to be exciting. Btw, I'm wearing my Lakers shirt today too.

Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-19-2009 at 01:54 PM

Greate new items Jameel! Congratulations :applause:

But about the humidifier.. do you know if it also absorbs humidity? I mean I live in Qatar where the humidity goes sky rocket in the summer.. like even your cell and watch get wet and "swell" when you go out because of the humidity. And if it doesn't, what do you think is good for such a country to protect the oud from extreme changes in temperature and humidity? And what about the AC? Should I keep it on a low temperature during the summer in the room the oud is stored in?

I appreciate your advice since I am really feeling the effect of the weather changes.. sometimes my oud feels completely different and just couldn't play it even for few seconds because of its awful sound when the humidity rises.. and sometimes I feel I have a Nahat in my hands (never tried one though :P).

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-19-2009 at 04:42 PM

It may absorb humidity, but probably not much. It's much easier to add humidity to a closed space (your case) than it is to remove it. The humidifier may remove moisture, but it will still be in the environment of the oud since the humidifier only transfers the moisture, it doesn't remove it from the case.

You could try a dehumidifier. AC is basically a dehumidifier anyway. And yes, if the humidity is extreme in your home you should try to remove it somehow, or bring it to a reasonable level. We all suffer with "wet" ouds in the summertime. It's rapid changes in humidity that are damaging to any instrument. If your oud lives in a humid environment for part of the year it's something to just live with. Keep it from extremes and changes and you should be fine.

bibo10
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2009 at 10:33 PM

gr8 products a must have for any expensive oud owner....btw kobe sux hahah...close game lol

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 07:43 AM

Kobe sux? I don't think we can be friends anymore Michael! :mad:

bibo10
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 10:14 AM

hahah i was just teasing lol...plus if scored that last 3 we would be having a different talk rite now!!

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 02:09 PM

Now we have our beauty products guys, don't need to be jealous of women anymore ;-)
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 08:29 AM

thats right Benjamin!:D

Jameel, you got any cologne for the oud playing man as well, or do you suggest a few drops of that lemon oil behind the ears?:rolleyes:

The micro-fiber cloth looks cool. do you need to clean these often, and are they safe to wash like socks?
regards, MW

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 08:51 AM

:))

Yeah, you can wash the micro-fiber. I'm not sure how grubby your socks are, so you'll have to determine the washing method. ;):D

Just wash it in the sink in some warm soapy water and hang up to dry. If you're married, I'd keep the socks out of the kitchen sink though. :))

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 5-24-2009 at 12:38 PM

thanks for the advice Jameel, I'll avoid the kitchen sink:D

Can you use carnuba wax on a french polish finish?

Go To Top