Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HI, my 1st post: Q's about Istanbul
Rob
Oud Admirer

Mood: glad to be here

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 03:28 AM
HI, my 1st post: Q's about Istanbul

hey, i'm hopefully going to Istanbul in August. I'm totally enthralled by the oud and am wanting to get one, needless to say i am a newbie, I have been playing sitar for the last 4 years but am now wanting to learn the oud. i have been reading some posts and have noticed one posting from Nadirs trip to Istanbul where he noted ...'There is no comparison in Galipede for whose ouds were the best, Mr. Sandi's towered over the market along with Faruk Turunz'...

Q 1) how much would a good oud cost from either one of these stores? ..i would like to know realistically how much as i don't want to get there and find out i can't afford one (well one that i like) even though i will be a beginner i don't want a beginners oud i feel i will progress faster with a nicer sounding and easier to play oud. plus being from NZ it will probably be a while b4 i get a chance to upgrade.

Q 2) i would prefer an oud with a warm tone and good resonance and sustain. what are the best woods to look for to get these sound qualities?

Q 3) does anyone know of a good teacher in Istanbul? and if so do you know what kind of rates are charged for lessons?

I would appreciate any feedback on these Q's as i'm very excited about this ambition.

have a nice day>
nadir
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 03:53 AM

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum. An answer to your first question would be to bring about $1000. That is a safe point. You unforunately will not be able to get Faruk Turunz's but you will definitely be able to have a choice of just about every Sandi oud.

I reccommend actually not getting the Faruk Turunz immediately as well but if you are going to get one, get it out of Galipede. Make a custom order online or something else.

To answer your second question, I personally use all walnut and all rosewood ouds. But you would probably want to have interchanging hard and soft woods. Maybe rosewood-wenge would be a good start? Lots of people on the forum can help you with wood selections. But it all comes down to what you like.

Unfortunately I am unable to answer your third question but you could possibly get in touch with Sandi himself if you visit the shop (Cankaya Music) and request a meeting or something. You could also pick up that Oud Metodu book by Mutlu Torun, it's for Turkish ouds and is written in Turkish but is straightforward. Music after all is the universal language!

Hope for the best,

Nadir
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 04:34 AM

Hi

The Sandi Oud I have is a good start for a professional type of Oud-Price is affordable and the quality is outstanding! Have a look at the said oud here http://www.mikeouds.com/scores/displayimage.php?album=search&ca...

Please email me if you need more info-Thx

Zul
Rob
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 04:39 AM

Hey Zul

i tried the link but there was no image loaded.

maybe try again

rob
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 04:49 AM

ok with me actually...i can email u some image if u want to? Let me know..salam
Rob
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 05:00 AM

yeah that would be cool

i'm at: ishta@xtra.co.nz

cheers
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 05:19 AM

Hi

Check your mail! :)

Regards
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 6-10-2004 at 10:12 AM

Hi

There are many good oud-makers in Istanbul.

Some of them :

Aslan (he makes very beautiful ouds) Tel : 2593342 (turkey-istanbul)

Engin Erogler (he is the son of Hadi Usta) tel : 5891936

Mustafa Copcyoglu (i ve never tried one from him but i heard that many prof.players play his ouds for example Necati Celik ) tel : 4143272

And of Course my favourite is Faruk Usta (Turunz).His ouds are expensive (1200,1400,2000 $ ) but first class...(tel: 4184911)

You should first check out all the makers and choose the oud that speaks to you...

Nikos

Go To Top