Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First Instruments: Survey
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 5-24-2009 at 04:34 PM
First Instruments: Survey

I've been in a debate with another member over first instruments recently. I would like to ask your help in offering your stories to this discussion.

So here are some questions for the great community here.

1. Where did you first encounter your main instrument?
2. How did you start playing?
3. How did you find your first instrument?
4. Where did you buy your first instrument?
5. Was instrument cost a factor in deciding to play or not?
6. Have you upgraded to or purchased a better instrument?
7. Do you study with a formal teacher?
8. If not, how did you learn?
9. Are you an amateur, semi-professional or professional player now?

And as a second set of questions, please consider this example.

You have played a performance in public. An audience member approaches you to ask about your instrument. He/She is new to music but intersted in learning. What advice would you give to have this person start to study?

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com
Reda Aouad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 07:00 AM

1. Where did you first encounter your main instrument?

Currently I play the oud. I used to play several brass/wind instruments for 4 years, but I will answer your questions considering the oud as my first instrument, since it has charmed me more than any other. I turned to the oud because I love oriental tunes more than any other. In September 2006 (and the few months before), I was hesitating between the oud and the violin. But I decided to go with the oud for several reasons; first I consider the only instrument which you literally hug. You may say that you hug the guitar the same way for example, but it is different. The physical relation between you and the oud is unlike any other, and maybe this is one reason why it inspires me and make me feel closer to my instrument. And second, my family name is Awwad (عوّاد) which literally means "the oud player". Even though I also wish to learn the violin at some point, but I don't regret my choice at all.

2. How did you start playing?

I was inspired by several great musicians, like Marcel Khalife, Charbel Rouhana, the Joubran brothers, Anouar Brahem, Said Sharaibi, and many many others - excuse me if I don't remember them all, but I definitely admire them all. I am less inclined to the Iraqi style.. well I almost don't like it at all. So I first put a goal that I wanted to be a professional player and be better than those who inspired me.. and even if I may never achieve it, my passion for the oud and my ambition to always evolve and get better and better will never fade away.

3. How did you find your first instrument?

I had no experience at all with ouds. And I even couldn't notice the difference between different types and sounds. So I went to a music shop and bought my first oud.

4. Where did you buy your first instrument?

As I said, I went to a music shop. I had really no budget to spend. So I chose the cheapest one, which was for about 60$-70$. Now, it is not even good for decoration, but I store it in my closet because it was the first oud I ever held and played. You can guess it's quality and sound from it's price, but I barely could afford it.

5. Was instrument cost a factor in deciding to play or not?

Cost is surely a factor which limits the choices of the instrument you want to buy. But it was never a factor in deciding to play an instrument or not. And as you can see, I bought the cheapest oud and was satisfied with it at that time. And if I couldn't even afford any oud at all, I would have tried to find any solution so as not to kill my love to learn to play the oud. Maybe you could always find anyone who has an old cheap oud who is willing to let it off for you.

6. Have you upgraded to or purchased a better instrument?

Yes I did. After my first one, I bought the one I currently have (nearly 2 years ago). It is a very good oud for a fairly good price. After noticing that my first oud wasn't even good for a beginner, I saved some money from a second part-time job I got and bought a new one. I was very pleased and satisfied with it, and I find it excellent after having matured. And right now, after I graduated and started working, I ordered a new, top-quality, professional oud from Nazih Ghadban, which I will be getting hopefully by the end of July.

7. Do you study with a formal teacher?

I studied with a Lebanese teacher, Peter Nehme, for the first few months. He is really a great teacher, and I thank him for introducing me to the oud and teaching me in a fast and efficient way. Then I went along and continued by myself. He didn't have much time left for me and the meeting place was distant from home, so I decided to continue on my own.

8. If not, how did you learn?

9. Are you an amateur, semi-professional or professional player now?

I consider myself a semi-professional player now. You can listen to a piece I recorded few days ago: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9244

Hope to hear from others as well. It is interesting to listen to each one's story.

francis
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 08:34 AM

I give you my musical story, but I can't answer question after question.

As a child , I studied the piano in a classical music school, and it was very unpleasant , because of the rigidy.
When I was fourteen, I bought a guitar ( japanese copy of a Martin model ........Name: Mountain!!!). I still play this guitar.
I take one lesson.....only one. I learned alone, hearing recordings and reading technical revues. I played an "english baroque " repertory from the sixties/seventies: John Renbourn tunes mostly.....

This research around "old music" drived me to irish music and to three instruments.
At first the cittern, as it has been "re-created " by the english luthier Stephan Sobell and played by Andy Irvine, Johnny Monyhan, Donal Lunny..... I begun on a cheap greek bouzouki and later I ask to a luthier for a specific instrument....

I play this cittern ( that i call pandora ) every day since it is "born" in 1993.

Irish music gave me the chance to discover and play uilleann pipes, which is , to my taste "the instrument" ( devil's one!!! )concertina and bodhran.
When I'm playing the cittern , I hear the pipes and I play pipes melody and ornements....

Playing the cittern, I spent time around eastern europe music, mainly bulgarian and macedonian, and I studied the bulgarian pipe: the gaida.
Bulgarian music is influenced by the ottoman occupation during last centuries, and that is the road to mediterranean and arabic music, for me....

I bought my first oud eight or ten years ago, by a french musician : Titi Robin ,but I didn't enter fast in this music ( no time enough.....you can understand if you read above!) . I never stop to listen to oud music, and last year ( may be just one year.....birthday? ) I discovered this fantastic forum and there I found the motivation and mountains of informations to seriously start to play the oud.

Last summer, i bought a second oud, through this forum........but this is not the better sisd of the story and I don't want to speak again about this "adventure"!

Here is my story, firmly resumed!

I add that I am an amateur player, but I go sometimes with professional projects.....

To someone who wants to begin, I say: listen, listen and listen....play, play and play.....and you will find the helps if you need to.

I hope that the poor quality of my english is not to hard for your eyes.......Pardon me if it is the case!

Francis
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 5-25-2009 at 04:10 PM

Thank you for your answers. It is inspiring and encouraging to hear these stories. And I hope that they inspire others too.

I'll share my story as well.

I play many instruments now and started my musical life in electronic music. But for this I will write about the instrument that seems to have opened a new and late chapter in my musical life.

I first encountered the Rubab at an event we organized. It was played by one of the few Rubab players in Japan. I was instantly captured by the natural reverb and "singing" of the resonant strings. The instrument was old, greyed by time and rough compared to the more elegant Persian and Turkish instruments I play. It felt like the wise old grandfather singing stories of his youth and passions, and I was captured by its sentimental and honest sound.

How did I start? This was the hard part. I wanted to try playing, but there was no way to obtain an instrument, no teachers, nothing available at all. So I set out to find a way.

First instrument. It took two years to find a Rubab. I met a very kind many from Peshawar who agreed to send one he had found in the city. It was honestly not a very good instrument. It was painted with a coating that flaked off and looked as if it had been broken and repaired long ago. It had an odd smell like it had been stored in a place with medical herbs. Despite all that it sounded good. And for $200 including shipping to Japan I couldn't really complain much. And it gave me a chance to try playing.

Cost was a factor because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on an instrument I wasn't sure I would stay with. I had seen offers for Rubabs in the $1000 range on line, but just could not justify the expense until I was sure of the instrument. Plus I didn't know how to judge a good instrument at that time and needed to learn more first.

About a year after getting the first Rubab I asked my friend to help me find a master maker and to help me buy a proper Rubab. He agreed and asked one of the best makers to create a professional instrument for me. To my surprise the cost was not that bad and after a month's wait, it arrived. It is now one of my treasures. When it arrived it was brand new and yellowish with the young wood. Now she is aging little by little and turning a wonderful warm orange brown. Her sound is settling too and it is almost as if she and I are growing together as I learn to play more and she settles into the balance and settings that make it more comfortable and wonderful to play.

I wish I could study with a master player. I am receiving advice and support from a wonderful master teacher. We sometimes hold lessons over video conference on the computer. I have also got an advisor here to gives me some guidance. But I learn mostly by listening and immitating the traditional recordings and solo works I have.

We use the Rubab in our band and I have been told by some who are familiar with it, that I now play well. I hope this is a start to playing better some day.

I am a semi-professional musician. RainInEden, my Silk Road music project keeps me busy with live shows and periodic recording. The Rubab is one of several instruments I play now including Setar, Saz and Santoor. I could not imagine life without these treasures or the music they enable.

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com

Go To Top