Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Oud Picks
norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 10:21 AM

resurrecting this necro thread to see if there are any new ideas...

there does seem to be a trend these days towards heavier rishas, and with the stiffer construction of floating bridge ouds, im not sure the concept of the light risha driving a light soundboard is applicable for all types of oud...

im also not sure of samirCanada's assertion that "A guitar pick canot exert any driving force from the wrist and it cannot be angled correctly to strike both strings silmutanesly." i think its possible if you work on the angle and the kind of pick you use... im still experimenting.

fernandraynaud , check out v picks ghost rim picks, which have a rougher bevel.. maybe something like that is what youre seeking? http://www.v-picks.com/product/dimension-jr-ghost-rim/

i m all about the risha for an acoustic oud, but I bring up the topic because with my doubleneck guitar oud, im looking for compromises that will work well for both. Its a semi solidbody electric, so issues of driving soundboard thickness arent quite as applicable here.

I ve been experimenting with different approaches,,, i even tried cutting a slot in the top of the guitar pick to thread the risha through, but it messed with the wrist angle for the guitar as the risha was still in the way.

i use quite a heavy pick on the guitar side, and its taken quite an adaption to use that same pick on the oud portion. Its a very interesting tone and feel... very naseer shamma -like aggressive attack... but Im not always happy with that for every musical situation, , so im still looking for a good solution ...

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top