Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: De-nacre'ing an oud
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 06:15 AM
De-nacre'ing an oud

A friend gave me this oud that had been lying around. It was covered with the plastic nacre that one sees on poor ouds from time to time. The oud had a label and looked to have been made in Syria in the 70s (based on the kind of plastic rosettes used - like the one Ali Khalifa was using in the 70s). So, what the heck, I decided to strip it down to see what was underneath. First, I used the brute force technique and put some 60 grit on the power sander. Trying to power sand plastic is a bad idea. It just melts and mushes allover the place. Next approach was to flake the chips off one-by-one with a sharp x-acto blade. Took an hour or so, but the remaining mastic then sanded off pretty easily. I was careful with the sander but some wood removal is inevitable. So I applied a saturating coat of water-thin CA to the back in the hopes that it would penetrate and cross-link to give some strength. Worked pretty well but it penetrates and darkens the wood just like water so any uneveness in application will produce some uneven darkening. After that (current state) a couple of coats of darkened french polish. Next I'll put a full rosewood fingerboard on. Will post pics and samples (if worthwhile) when she's finished up.

Harry

[file]9262[/file]

[file]9264[/file]

[file]9270[/file]

msimon
Oud Maniac

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 04:04 PM

Wow!
She looks much better without the "nacre". Why would someone cover up that beautiful inlay?
MS
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 6-28-2009 at 04:05 PM
Finished

She's finished up. The sound isn't anything special though I've got rather low tension strings on it now and the top is pretty heavily braced. Maybe some higher tension strings will help. I like the French button pegs which can be had for about $.50 each on eBay. At least she didn't end up in the dumpster...

[file]9998[/file] [file]9996[/file] [file]9994[/file]

patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 09:13 AM

Tidy, freya

Go To Top