Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tremendously Foolish Move...
PGehling
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 04:53 PM
Tremendously Foolish Move...

Hi All,
So... I happened to make a really silly error today while practicing... While leaning over my oud with rish in mouth, I slipped, and now my favourite risha is rattling around at the bottom of my oud. Any suggestions on how to get it out?

FastForward
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2009 at 09:10 AM

I am assuming there is a shamsa.

I would suggest flipping the oud on its belly and aligning the risha with the shamsa. Then use tweezers or some thing like that to grasp the risha and slowly guide through some of the holes in the shamsa.

Good luck
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 7-3-2009 at 07:07 PM

:applause:

If there was ever an award for most original posting - I would definitely vote for this one!

Somthing that could only happen to an oud player!

But to add to FastForward's advice, maybe someone standing can hold the flipped oud...while someone else climbs from underneath and does the operation with the tweezers - and it might be worthwhile having a third person filming the whole thing :))

good luck!
PGehling
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-3-2009 at 09:32 PM

I swear... it must have been absolutely one in a thousand. My rosette is just so tight, tweezers are almost impossible, i'm afraid i might have to ask a luthier to pop off one of the smaller two. Given my luck i don't think it would be prudent to try the operation myself...
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-4-2009 at 02:22 AM

There are posts on the forum on how to remove and replace the rosettes - you just need a sharp craft knife to remove and some string and glue to replace.

In the mean time, can I interest anyone in my patented magnetic risha? Just kidding.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 7-4-2009 at 03:09 AM

Removing the rosette is a good thing to do on any oud just to try out the open sound which is often louder and deeper and often a preferred tone for many so dont despair. You can always glue it back again.

Best Wishes, Charlie
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-4-2009 at 04:27 AM

You could try 'fishing' for it (carefully) using a length of thin, stiff wire - curved sharply at the end with a small piece of double sided adhesive tape wrapped on to the end. Form a loop handle at the other end of the wire so that it is easy to control.
Turn the bowl on its side so that the risha is pointing more or less perpendicular to the shamsa. Insert the wire through the shamsa at the outside edge where it is strongest and lightly dab the end of the stick on to about the middle of it. Withdraw the wire vertically, manipulating it so that the risha pokes through the shamsa sufficient to get a grip on it. While holding the risha firmly, rotate the fishing stick to separate it from the risha and pull out the errant pick.
Sounds easy!

.... or you could just leave it in there. It might make a good 'conversation piece' at oud gatherings!
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 7-4-2009 at 12:27 PM

Hi there

I dropped a plectrum into my old acoustic guitar the other day and as I was trying to get it out, out fell a reciept for a pot of tea for one from Sarah's cafe in Eldon Square, Newcastle Upon Tyne, 1990.

Why not leave it in there - some old bluesmen apparently put the rattle of a rattlesnake into their guitars to give it that little something:):)

I'd just leave it in there - taking rossettes off is ok but I wouldn't risk it on mine, I can't speak for yours - btw Charlie's oud does sound great !!!

Good luck

Leon

Go To Top