Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: bad news - for me
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 6-19-2004 at 03:07 AM
bad news - for me

i've been playing my charango almost solidly for the past few months and have rarely - and only for short periods of time - picked up my oud. yesterday, however, i had a good go, running through the repertoire and after a while i had to stop because the joints of my fingers on my left hand were throbbing.

this is bad. i wasn't aware of how much pressure is required on the strings in order to play the oud - much more than with the charango.

could it be the lack of frets that causes this?

could it be galloping old age?

could it be the dreaded arthritis?

am i doing something wrong - something basic?

arrrrggghhh!!!......

stressed - bill
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 6-19-2004 at 08:10 AM

I have been playing the oud for three weeks and one of the biggest complaints my teacher has is im pressing on the fingerboard too hard. He says i shuouldnt, but rather gently slide my finger on there. maybe u should do the same.
Sasha
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 6-19-2004 at 09:35 AM
Charango v. oud

Bill -

What you say is rather surprising - could it be that the action on you oud is waaaaay too high? Or tuned too high?

I'm wondering, because of all of the instruments I own, my oud is the second kindeest, action-wise...

I hope it is a simple solution - we'd hate to lose you all the time to the charango - it isn't a armadillo shell charango is it? I am thinking if such is the case, the armadillo may be jealous!:))

Sasha
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 6-19-2004 at 09:41 AM

Hi Bill,

Which string set do you use?

I am thinking maybe lowering the tension will help.
nadir
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-19-2004 at 10:45 AM

Actually I was pressing too hard on the fingerboard after a while, especially when you suddenly switch instruments you need a little period of time to adjust. I think it won't be a big problem. ;)

All the best. :wavey:
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 6-19-2004 at 01:39 PM
Joints Hurt?

Hey Bill,

I feel your pain buddy...

I've been having the same problem with my left hand! Its definitely not an issue with the pressure required on the strings - I'm used to playing an acoustic 12 string guitar and I gotta tell you NOTHING is worse than that. My own feeling is that its partly age (I'm 50), partly an unfamiliar hand position (your left hand approaches the neck at a different angle) but mostly that I'm loving the instrument so much that I don't put it down long enough between practice sessions and I'm practicing too long at one time.

I suspect that you overplayed yourself a bit there with your last practice session. You'll recover. My finger joints have been hurting for over two months now but it is getting better and I haven't really been giving it any rest (too stubborn).

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 6-20-2004 at 11:03 PM

how often is it that one gets several pieces of advise - all of them are accurate?

i lowered the tension, checked the action, eased-up on the pressure and bit the bullet...

my hand still hurts, though.

many thanks - bill

Go To Top