Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help, please: advice on "Egyptian Standard Oud"
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-25-2009 at 03:08 AM
Help, please: advice on "Egyptian Standard Oud"

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and the oud. I'm a composer and I play guitar, keyboards, bass, blockflute, etc. My preferred instruments are fretless bass, harpsichord and clavichord. I am looking to buy a first oud, to learn and to record with.

I think I prefer the longer neck of the Arabic and a 6 course stringing. At this time I cannot justify spending much money - if this becomes a serious thing, I can get another (... and another..). Unfortunately I do appreciate quality, and I need a good low action. Now, on the positive side, I have acquired some marvelous instruments very cheaply, so I know it is not always necessary to pay a rolls royce price. There are these ouds available, that have elicited some favorable comments (of unknown origin):

http://www.theotherworlds.com/product/OUD6/Egyptian_Standard_Oud_wi...

Several shops have them, all around the same price. They are apparently made (or imported?) by "Mid-East". I can tolerate a little roughness in finish, and I've also reworked a number of instruments. Any advice w'oud :) be MOST welcome.

Fernand
Anija
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-26-2009 at 03:59 AM

i'm sure that because you have many instruments, you know that a cheap, good-sounding instrument is a big FIND-- in my experience, often because it is being sold privately.... i wouldn't expect anything from an internet source such as this. trying a lot of instruments out in person is probably the most important factor to being able to distinguish a good instrument from the rest- (that being why i don't think you should judge on the comments tagged on the website.) i looked at the link you provided, and i don't think it's worth the $200. maybe wait a while until you do have the means to put more $$ to the purchase?? if you get a good quality instrument to begin with, you're more likely to keep playing and have a much more gratifying musical experience; and EVEN IF find you don't play it often, you can most likely sell it at a very good price...
at any rate, my vote is NO on this one :) go out and try instruments from all price ranges! good luck!
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 09:30 AM

Difficult to judge, more over I could just see the miniatures pictures.
But it seems to have a good action and good fitting pegs ( it seems ebony pegs )...then for the sound, it would be better to try of course.
I think it may be a good deal for a beginner oud, not so far of the price you would pay for it in Egypt....but don't wait for the rolls royce of the oud, pretty sure it is not!
Notice also it is a bit large, 38 cm wide may be uncomfortable to play if you play a long time.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 10:08 AM

For $200. Yeah why not. I like it and would risk the cash and hope for the best, especially if this is your budget limit and you dont have the chance to try out many ouds. This is the main problem for most of us. The oud, unlike the guitar, has not migrated well. Good luck.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 11:36 AM

Unless you have no other options, I would say no . . . I've played this type of oud and it will at best present continuous tuning difficulties.

It's difficult to find anything usable in that price range, but this is the best I could find:

http://www.nilecart.com/amateuroud3.htm

It is still not a particularly good instrument, but I am confident it will be much more usable than the one you found. (For example the "pegs" on the one you found appear to be plastic . . . not a good sign).

I would recommend saving up at least $500 to try to find something that is decent . . . Gawharet el Fan makes some pretty decent ouds in this price range:
http://www.nilecart.com/gawharaoud3.htm

If you really can't spend more than $200, you should look into Turkish ouds, you are more likely to find something playable in that price range.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
msimon
Oud Maniac

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 02:00 PM

I have seen this oud in person, and honestly it is crap. Do not waste your money on it. These are mass produced, and the one I saw did not only have a high action, but the neck was almost falling off. Super thick soundboard, and also only 10 pegs.
Good Luck,
MS
oudtab
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 02:10 PM

Bonjour Fernand,

I've written few lines about the oud quality at : http://sites.google.com/site/oudguitare/generalities/oudquality

A serious webshop (I've tried it) : http://www.mediterranean-musicshop.com

The best thing you can do is to find a music shop nearby your home and to go and try several instruments, if you don't want to make a 200$ mistake.

charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 04:04 PM

Michael, I like the look of the Egyptian ouds at the Mediteranean-music shop do you know who makes them?

Best Wishes, Charlie
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-27-2009 at 04:19 PM

Salut Fernand.

Tu sais, les ouds c'est un peu comme le 22 à Asnières......tu ne trouves pas toujours facilement......Mieux vaut essayer, effectivement, pour se faire une idée. Sur les annonces tout est toujours top professional quality.....la réalité est souvent très différente.
Tu es dans quelle région?
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-28-2009 at 04:02 AM

I'm in the San Francisco area, in California. Does anyone know a shop here that has ouds? There's Lark In The Morning, but they seem to cater to a clientele that's easily pleased with overpriced "exotic" gee-gaws.

I would like to point out that the praised mediterranean music shop sells the precise same Egyptian Standard Oud as EGYPT52ep for 290 Euros, there are 12 pegs visible, not 10, and they say they are ebony, so this could not be the same disastrous oud that Msimon touched.

The Chinese have mastered inexpensive production of very decent instruments, even viola da gamba, they will get into oud at some point in their conquest of the planet. Maybe I'm spoiled, but i've had some great FINDs recently. Frankly, a lot of goods have vastly improved in quality and dropped in price over the last 2 years, as "3rd world" production modernizes and the economy falters. For now, I'll see what UPS brings Friday, it was an odd instrument, not an "Egyptian Standard", a total e-bay shot in the dark, but I can return it. I'll post my adventure, it might be very very VERY funny. :)

It looks like the basic Sukars might be the a good bet if I can find one cheaply enough. Are the Gawharet El Fan ouds considered better or worse?
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-28-2009 at 04:27 AM

I tried first range of Sukar ouds, they are a good choice, the sound is nice and they are comfortable to play.
The soundboard is anyway the same between a first and a high range oud, so you'll always get the sound.
If you can increase your budget I would recommend you such a choice.
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 7-28-2009 at 04:28 AM

Sukars are better than Gawharet El Fan.
Danielo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-28-2009 at 05:51 AM

Hi,

if you are in France (as your name suggests ;) )

this is an excellent deal (180 euros for a Sukar)
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-28-2009 at 08:23 PM

Merci, Danielo, c'est tres gentil, et en effet une occaz , j'vais en faire part a un copain, mais HELAS j'en suis loin, en Californie.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-28-2009 at 08:58 PM

Oudtab, your site and the guitar-oud document are FANTASTIC for guitar players. Thanks.
oudtab
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-29-2009 at 04:18 AM

Merci Fernand,

About the webshop http://www.mediterranean-musicshop.com, they work with the egyptian luthier Tharwat Saber (I've one of his oud). They work also with Walid Hamido, Samir Azar, Ibrahim Sukar Maurice Shehata or Nazih Ghadban. You can also do some specific orders about the oud. The shop is located in Ajaccio, South Corsica (in mediterranean sea).

A last advice to Fernand : before buying a instrument like a oud think about its specifications :

- bowl : what wood? What size (deep or not too deep, for the comfort player)
- top : what wood (cedar or spuce)? Varnished or not?
- scale : 58.5 , 60, 62cm?
- strings action : low or high?
- the bridge : floating or glued? With a bone or not?
- the nut : bone or ebony? nutwidth : 30, 35cm, 40cm? (very important for the fingers)
- What tuning?
- 10, 11, 12, 13 strings?
...etc

Don't hesitate to contact a oud maker (http://sites.google.com/site/oudguitare/liens2).

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-30-2009 at 06:33 AM

This is the kind of SuKar I tried in the add Danielo pointed you.
They sound pretty nice and the bowl is not too wide. I don't think you can get a better price outside Syria.
Good luck in your research.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 7-30-2009 at 11:06 AM

Hi fernandraynaud,

Since you're in the bay area you could check out :

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9349, if it's within your price range it's worth a look. Richard's ouds are very well made. Just a thought.

Cheers...PaulO

Go To Top