Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Risha Technique for Beginners....
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 11:12 AM
Risha Technique for Beginners....

This is actually reposted from another topic... but it really made some lights go off for me....

SamirCanada posted this:

"When you pick on a oud the trajectory of the risha is like an oval with the risha pointing somewhat up and the risha striking the strings in forward motion towards the face. This is also impossible to properly do with a guitar pick and this is the key to produce the true oud's tone."

For the longest time, I've thought of playing the oud as being VERY similar to playing guitar with a pick... So I've always thought of my risha striking the strings going up and down.... However, once I've started to think about this in terms of playing in an oval, I FEEL like I'm playing more smoothly and with better tone...

Chris Walters
saddas
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-16-2009 at 03:03 AM

Could you describe more how this oval motion can be done?
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-16-2009 at 06:29 AM

I made this video a long time ago for some friends to show them how to hold the risha properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55X-gYk_Fek

please excuse me the quality is not great and the tuning of my oud is not properly. however it should give you an idea.

the risha is pointing up towards the neck joint and its almost parallel to the face. when it comes down to strike the strings it does so by following almost like an oval trajectory. this risha is avoiding the strings above and going into the strings being struck towards the face and then coming back out before it touches the face of the oud.
saddas
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-17-2009 at 06:07 AM

Thanks for the explanation.

Go To Top