Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's the best varnish for a top?
faridoud
Oud Admirer

Mood: studious

light.gif posted on 8-16-2009 at 08:08 AM
What's the best varnish for a top?

It's a question for oud maker as I know they are many in the forum. I'm wondering what is the best quality of varnish to protect the top and to not affect the sound. It's to varnish my top in red cedar. My Luthier is specialized in violons and we need some advices to varnish my oud.

thanx

Farid
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 8-16-2009 at 09:46 AM

Any varnish will affect the sound. There's a reason your oud has no finish, that is what gives it the characteristic oud sound. You can protect the surface with a coating of egg white - strain the egg to remove the yolk and lumpy stuff, spread it on thinly, then wipe off the excess. Let it dry and wash you hands before playing to keep the face clean. Wear a long sleeved shirt or drape a cloth under your arm to prevent staining the top.

hama
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-16-2009 at 11:34 AM

I purchased an OUD from Faruk Turunz and he applied french polish to the sound board , the sound is amazing

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9243#pid615...
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 8-16-2009 at 12:42 PM

I am not an expert in ouds specifically, but in other instruments we see a similar issue. Of course untreated wood has a certain sound, but aesthetics play a role, and it will get dirty. It's sort of intuitive, that materials with an elastic character will impart some of that to the soundboard, and ruin it. Oiling a soundboard will dull the sound very significantly, many a harpsichord has been damaged this way. Varithane is bad, anything thick and goopy is deadly. You want something brittle, and thin. Alcohol-based shellac is used OK on violins, harpsichords, etc, and I would feel comfortable using it on an oud. Egg white sounds good. Always use the least amount to do the job. If you like a shine, french polishing is used on many first rate instruments, and I can't see why it would not work on an oud. It's not a varnish, it's a way of thinly applying alcohol-shellac that you can look up on the 'net.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2009 at 04:56 PM

Egg white is one solution. A transparent thin wax finish is another. I have used a very dilute shellac finish just to seal the surface. It works but is non traditional. Oil varnish is not an option.
Segura
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-17-2009 at 12:41 PM

No varnish. You cannot treat a oud as a violin or a guitar.
Segura

Go To Top