Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: String buzz, goes away with preassure on soundboard?
spirit
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 12:24 PM
String buzz, goes away with preassure on soundboard?

All the string buzz when hit hard on a medium quality Turkish oud recently. It is tuned "Arabic" d gg aa dd gg cc. But the strings weren't causing buzzing a few weeks ago, when it was also in Arabic tuning (it pretty much always is)- same strings, probably either La Bella or Nylgut that had been fine for several months of occassional playing.
So does the ceasation of the buzzing when there is preassure on the soundboard indicate a loose brace, or could it be something even more major? (Checked the rosette and it seems OK).

Thanks
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 07:55 AM

The fact all the strings buzz and being resolve by the pressure on the soundboard may indicate a loose brace.
Try to check by a light percussion all allong the soundboard with your finger to see if it is symetrical from both side of the face.
spirit
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-21-2009 at 10:44 AM

Thank you so much for your response. Lightly rapping on the oud face at different areas didn't reveal any rattling or buzzing. BUT, on closer inspection it seems that one of the 12 places the rosette is fastened to the underneath of the oud face at the soundhole is loose.

How does one re fasten this?
(I don't know how to hold the rosette flush to the underneath of the oud face while it dries- presuming that glue is the means used to attach the rosette).

Or is there any reason other than ornamentation to keep the rosette?
(In which case, how does one remove it)

Thanks again.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-21-2009 at 04:52 PM

I would prefer you to get the advice of others members before any work on your oud, many questions I cannot solve, moreover my english is limited and I didn't understood clearly your message.

Indeed rosette is only here for ornementation.
Luthiers use a glue wich " dissolve " when heaten, I mean with a heat source you may take away the rosette.

But I don't now about the technique to put heat on a soundboard,in order to protect the gluing of braces, and how to replace the rosette...If you take it away it will fall inside the bowl, and I don't know the way to take it out.
I'm not even sure if it is hide glue on the cheap ouds you may find on the market.

Maybe there is a technique to correct the gluing of a rosette without taking the whole piece away, so let's wait for other's opinion to help you about.
Regards

Go To Top