Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to place turkish tanbur-yayli tanbur frets??
PeppeOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 12:50 PM
How to place turkish tanbur-yayli tanbur frets??

Hi! I got a beautiful yayli tanbur from a shop here in italy, but unfortunately someone moved all the frets in a wrong way.
Do someone have a scheme or a clear picture to help me putting in the right place again??
Thanks

Peppe
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 03:59 PM

Hi Peppe, I actually have a chart for classic tanbur from a method book but my scanner isn't working. Once I get it to work, I can send it to you or post it here.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 10:06 PM

Can you please post it here for reference? Thanks!
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 01:52 AM

Hi Peppe,
I have a great yayli tanbur made by Dr Cengiz Sarikus, I can take measurments (from the nut I guess ?) but I also feel that some of the frets have moved (and they are anyways made to be movable according to the main maqam you play) and I am not sure now where they should be "by default".

You can always try to "tune" them a bit by ear, for me it takes like forever.
Arto
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 04:10 AM

I like the tanbur very much and have three different method books, but not the instrument! But... I think that in every of these books there is a numerical table that shows the place of each fret by a millimeter and adjusted to possible scale lenghts from 102 cm to 108 cm. And... my scanner isn´t working, either... I don´t know if there is an internet source available for this information.

A scan posted here would be great, but if it is not possible, you can send me your address Peppe and I´ll send a paper copy.

I´ve understood that masters like Necdet Yasar make slight adjustments to the frets according to the piece or makam played, but for common mortals there is a "default placement".
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 05:54 AM

Hi Arto,
I've been trying for a year now to play yayli, I couldn't find any teacher in Lebanon and the second problem is that the sound is so loud that I cannot really practice at home without bothering a lot of neighbors.
Can you please post the references for the method books and your appreciation of each, I'd be grateful.
PeppeOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 08:28 AM

my email address is giuseppe.frana[at]gmail.com for any resource you can send :)
thanks for your precious help..

@ALAMI:

Could you make a photo of the fretboard of your instrument??
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-21-2009 at 08:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ALAMI  
Hi Arto,
I've been trying for a year now to play yayli, I couldn't find any teacher in Lebanon and the second problem is that the sound is so loud that I cannot really practice at home without bothering a lot of neighbors.
Can you please post the references for the method books and your appreciation of each, I'd be grateful.

The book I have is called Tanbur Metodu by Sadun Aksut. You can purchase it at http://www.tulumba.com/
I don't think there is a specific yayli tanbur method book.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 01:12 AM

Thank you Peyman for the link.
Until now I've only used Yputube, and still cannot understand why the pinky is never used by yayli players even in Hijaz, I try to do like them but it is not working.

Attached are hi res images of the neck: face,back and closeup with a ruler. Hope it helps peppe. (they are packed in a zip file due to their resolution)
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 07:58 AM

Hi Alami,

I have tanbur cumbus and I'm not sure where, exactly, the bridge is supposed to be located on the membrane. Could you indicate which fret corresponds to the perfect fourth on the neck?

Thanks in advance.

Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 10:48 AM

Today is your lucky day, and mine too, since I got my scanner to work. I uploaded the chart as a rar file. It's a big chart. Tel boyu is string length and the frequencies of the frets are given. Perde is fret.

[file]10746[/file]
PeppeOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2009 at 05:23 AM

:xtreme:

Thanks everyone, you rock!!
Arto
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 09:43 AM

Hi Alami, and other friends,

I have three tanbur books bought because of my interest in the instrument, though I don´t own one yet. The books are in Turkish which I don´t read, but contain sheet and pictures.

Tanbur Metodu by Sadun Aksut (1989): a thin booklet of 28 pages, a few bad B&W photos, instructions to read standard music notation, some sheet music picking exercises and music examples. Not very useful, and surely out of print.

Tanbur Metodu by Sadun Aksut (1994). Basically an enlarged and better version of the above. 152 pages: more photos, more diagrams and more sheet music. This is the books mentioned previously by Peyman.

Tanbur Metodu by Emin Akan (2007). A big book, 216 pages tutor part plus 64 pages of Emin Akan´s own compositions. If I have understood right this is an enlarged reprint of earlier book (1970?). Lots of exercises, different kinds of picking, lots of compositions, good colour photos, information of makams etc etc. Includes a VCD that was somewhat disappointing and very basic, but the book itself is pretty good IMHO. But not nearly as good as Mutlu Toruns Ud Metodu, that is really a gem for even non-Turkish-speaking learner like myself.

The books above are for mizrapli tanbur and do not contain any stuff especially for yayli tanbur.

I have bought books 2 and 3 from Golden Horn Records, but they don´t seem to list Emin Akan´s book now, for some reason. Aksun´s book is a bit above 20 USD, Akan´s book cost 50 USD when I bought it last year.

best wishes,
Arto
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 05:41 PM

Good review Arto. If you can't afford a wooden tanbur, try to get a cumbus tanbur for practice. Those are cheaper and pretty much available on ebay.
Also, you guys should search for "dilruba ensemble" on youtube. It's a small group of Oud, Bendir, Kanun and Yayli Tanbur. I really liked their work.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 02:16 AM

Many thanks Arto and Peyman for the infos.

A silly question, is there a way to reduce the volume of a yayli tanbur without harming the instrument ?
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 03:22 AM

Alami, if the skin is synthetic you could try dampening the skin with a bit of cotton wadding and gaffa tape like they do on snare drums and toms ? You could do it on the underneath if looks are a concern.

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 05:58 AM

The skin is natural, sheep, goat, I don't know (Dr Cengiz knows, of course) and the yayli has also a sound post inside, like violin, it is a wooden cylinder going from under the bridge to the bowl.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 06:47 AM

There is a method used in Persian and Azeri kamanchehs to decrease the volume. A piece of cloth called "surdin" is tucked right where the strings rise to reach the bridge. Depending how deep you tuck it (or forcefully, I guess),
your sound will be affected. I haven't used this on my YT. But seems like a simple enough solution.
Arto
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2009 at 01:34 AM

Hi Alami,

I was searching the net for a way to mute my plectrum banjo - it´s not quite my dear wife´s favourite instrument, and I´d like to play it sometimes without hiding to the most remote corner of my apartment and feeling antisocial... :D (She likes the oud, thank God!)

I found this wonderful site with LOADS of useful information. If these easy fixes work for violin, I´d think they would work for yayli tanbur, too:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Banjo/BanjoMutes/banjomute...

:) Arto
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2009 at 01:05 PM

My simple solution works just as well! :D

Go To Top