Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: makams tahir and muhayyer
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-28-2009 at 06:45 AM
makams tahir and muhayyer

i am trying to understand the difference between these two makams.

as far as i know, both are descending makams that share the same husseini scale, and make a rest on husseini note (as opposed to makam neva which rests on the note neva). so what is it that makes tahir and muhayyer two different makams?

PeppeOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-29-2009 at 05:36 AM

Basically Tahir has a more similar seyir to Neva instead of Husseyni, but descending as you said.

Muhayyer : Huseyni = Tahir : Neva

So is not correct to make a rest on husseyni (mi) while playing Tahir, you've to play "around" neva note like rast from neva.
"theoretically" the two makams have a different composition:

Muhayyer is, like Husseyni composed by an Huseyni pentachord from dugah and an Ussak tetrachord from husseyni.

Tahir is, like Neva, composed by an Ussak tetrachord from Dugah and a Rast pentachord from Neva.

As you will know, each tetrachord/pentachord brings with him certain melodic movements so by the composition of Tahir makam you will easily understand how Huseyni is a less important note than Neva in his seyir.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 8-29-2009 at 03:42 PM

where the confusion comes is that an ussak tetrachord + rast pentachord are the same NOTES as huseini pentachord + ussak tetrachord. The point being that "huseini PENTACHORD" could also probably be called and ussak pentrachord --- in terms strictly just of the notes (not the dominants)

Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-29-2009 at 05:09 PM

ok i know the pentachords, i probably misheard or something about tahir being husseini + ussak not ussak + rast. thanks

Go To Top