Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sukar Oud Model 1 - Thoughts?
jkndrkn
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 07:25 AM
Sukar Oud Model 1 - Thoughts?

Hi, a helpful individual has recommended a Sukar Oud Model 1 as a good starter Oud. Has anyone else here personally played one? Any thoughts on its sound, setup, and maintainability?

By chance, has anyone purchased one of the Model 1's from this eBay listing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RARE-PRO-BROWN-WALNUT-ZAN-WOODS-SUKAR-OUD-M...

A previous thread indicated that Palmyrami is an iffy place to buy from, but perhaps this listing is actually honest and solid?

Thanks for your help,

-John David

Alan-TX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 09:17 AM

I have a Sukar model 1. I think there is more than one “Model 1” though as mine has the fingerboard that extends to the soundhole. I bought it from Palmyrami and it arrived about a week later with no issues.

This is my Sukar Oud
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RARE-PRO-BROWN-WALNUT-ZAN-WOODS-SUKAR-OUD-M...

I have had it for around a year and have had no issues with it at all. The only change I made was I had a bone nut put on it for easier fine tuning. I noticed that some of the pegs are not cut right when I took them out to put peg dope on them. One looked like someone's whittling project and another one was not round. I do not know what wood they are made out if but they are not Ebony. But the oud does stay in tune just fine. It has been a great starter oud. Since it’s a Sukar it has resale value if I ever want to sell it.

500.00 is too much for this oud IMO. 300.00ish is a great price while 400.00 is probably fair. (Just my opinion) There is one right now for auction that is at ~260.00 with 1 day to go. Just put sukar in as your search string on Ebay and you will find it.

David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 11:46 PM

Hi John,

I've got a model 1 since 2001 : The sound improves with time. It's really deep. I bought it 380 € at a store in France. I had to change the pegs, the factory ones are disgusting and don't keep the tune. Also the wood is in maple and it's really soft, a railway starts to appear under each couple of strings after a while. I had to make it sand by a luthier. Now the C note curls a bit because of the little cavity on the touch. I can't sand it anymore, and the next step is a brand new touch. Instead I opted for a model 8, the touch seems to be in walnut tree and that is stronger in time. By the way, I played during eight years on the model 1 and it's still valuable. Last year I've been to Al Kindy concert and what a surprise when I saw Muhammad Qadri Dalal with a model 1 with the factory strings (kind of barbed wire)...
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 12:34 AM

This is how the model 1 sounds after eight years (with Kürschner strings) :

http://www.4shared.com/file/130582668/dba9f24f/Taksim_Nakriz.html

You can hear what I talked about the C at 02:56 :shrug:
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 03:39 AM

The Model 1 is a great-sounding oud at a very good price. It sounds better the more I play it, that's a well-known thing, but it sounds very good to start with. A lot of Sukars on stage. The Model 1 can use a little work on some fronts to "polish it" (or you could have it done by buying a more expensive model).

My Model 1 pegs seem like rough olivewood, and olivewood is good. With a little sanding and recoloring (plus the customary soap and chalk), my pegs look nice and hold just fine.

Wood wears. Even ebony loses out against metal. My humble opinion (FWIW) is that ANY fretless fingerboard should likely be gently stripped of any cosmetic finish and treated with something tougher to resist string wear. Jaco used epoxy on his bass. I like Tung oil. I wouldn't wait until it needs sanding.

The Model 1 soundboard is (classically) unfinished. French polishing with alcohol-based shellac gives it lovely color, shine and protection without ruining the tone.

I don't mind doing such minor chores, it's my way of getting to know an instrument AND save money. I expect my Model 1 to serve for many many years.

littleseb
Oud Junkie

Mood: high

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 04:12 AM

I like my Model 1 Sukar. It's a good instrument for new oudists. The tone is nice and deep and got better over time. Only problem I had was the bridge coming off, but I managed to fix it myself.
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 06:34 AM

Also part of the model one club here... Mine has a very rich sound... I haven't had any problems with the pegs... Had some minor dishing in front of the bridge...

I think I paid $400 for mine - and it was certainly worth it.

In my opinion, it's the best "production" oud available in the US.

Chris Walters
jkndrkn
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 11:51 AM

Great. Looks like this might be a good direction to take. I've made an offer on the instrument :]

jkndrkn
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-18-2009 at 01:27 PM

Hello again.

So, I purchased the Model 1 Sukar Oud. I placed a lowball offer on the Oud, and was surprised when Palmyrami accepted my low $350 offer. I was told to expect a sale at around $400.

The sale went fine, though through my communication with Palmyrami it was clear that they either did not have a good command of English or were simply lacking in good customer service skills.

The item arrived packed incredibly, almost excessively well. The package could probably have survived a fall from a moving car. Perhaps the excessive packaging is needed during international shipping and to deter robbery?

The Oud itself is blemishless and looks great. I'm currently experiencing some issues regarding tuning that I will be posting about in a different thread, but I am very happy with my purchase and overall pleased with the quality of the instrument. One minor quibble: the pegs are workable but not pretty and often not cut to the appropriate length for their positions. Also, the interior of the pegbox is not finished very well, but I assume this is a cost-cutting measure that helps bring the price of these instruments down.

The hard case that was included in the sale is usable but is clearly of lowest quality. The flimsy lock would not open with the included key and I had to force it open. I will probably not replace the case unless it starts to fall apart, though.

Once I get the Oud in tune and can play a decent-sounding scale on it, I'll let you know more about the instrument :]

David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-18-2009 at 03:16 PM

Still the same problem with the pegs... Yes it needs some work to make them fit very well, and this has a price !

Enjoy your oud :airguitar:

Go To Top