Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New to Oud - Have ??
RD
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 04:22 PM
New to Oud - Have ??

Just saying Hi to all of you . My name is Russ and I have been checking out this forum for about a month and learning a lot. I have been playing guitar for about 6 years and charango for 1 yr - and just started on the oud last week (My parents were in Egypt and I got them to pick me up an Arabic Oud (ebony back) and a Rababa(spike fiddle)). So far I love the oud and I have been busy learning the ajnas. This is my first experience with a fretless instrument and I like it a lot - a different style of playing. Anyways, I have a couple of questions for people more experienced than myself. My oud is tuned CFadg but I know you can tune the C to D and the F to G. Do you guys change the tuning to suit different maqams or mostly stick to one tuning (my preference). Also I have read a lot about the Nylgut strings and have been thinking of trying a set and adding 2 courses (9 course to 11 course). Is there a very noticeable difference in sound quality with these strings and how long do you think they would last? Any input would be greatly appreciated:D
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-28-2004 at 10:29 AM

Hi RD

welcome to the forum
i tune my egyption oud from low to high CEAdgc
since i've got lessons in the conservatory of
casablanca/ marocco before i was tuning DGAdgc also
but with the moroccon tuning i can play more notes
in the bassstrings
and you are right on some maqams it can be
more easy to tune the bassstrings one D and G
to have a long drone sound while playing higher
notes as well
i use pyramid super-oud strings for the silver ones and on the nylons i use pyramid strings for turkish oud becouse super-oud nylons are to heavy

and i'm stringing my ouds by another way than
the other guys here to ( i'll post a picture later)
i learned this from great moroccain players

take care
mourad
RD
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-28-2004 at 07:11 PM

Hi Mourad

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input on the tuning. Also, I'm interested in the way you string your oud - what would the potential benefits to this be?

regards,
Russ

Go To Top