Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hard Cases for Egyptian Ouds
Michelle Webb
Oud Lover

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 05:31 PM
Hard Cases for Egyptian Ouds

Hi Guys,
It's time to travel with my Oud and I have to have a flight case for it.
Anyone have any suggestions for one in the $200 range ??

Thanks.....

jkndrkn
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 06:13 AM

Hey Michelle. I don't have any advice on cases since I am a novice Oudist. However, I have run across your music on MySpace before and I have to say I am excited to see the Oud in a modern improvisational context. Do you still play extended-range fretless basses?

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 07:20 AM

Hi! how are you travelling? if by plane then Jameels 'soft' cases are really good, like a top line strong guitar gig bag. I've taken an oud on board an airplane in one of his cases with no problem. The thing is that if you intend to fly with your oud, you want to first try and arrange to take it on board with you; many airlines will allow this if it will fit into the overhead, and Jameels will fit just fine and protect your oud. some airlines have other regulations and so on, so check with your airline. This topic of air travel with an oud has been discussed, try a search on air travel and you may get some useful posts. A hard case might be too bulky to take onboard, and if you were going to put it into the hold then you'd want a really tough flight case.
Some good hard cases are found outside the USA, but then there is the cost of shipping...example:
http://www.dimitrisouds.com/
(go to instrument cases link)
Maybe a lute case would fit your oud? I think Mavrothis knows a guy in NY who makes hard cases, try contacting him. I would avoid the Sukkar 'form fitting' hard case you see on ebay, many players have had problems with this case. good luck -regards MW
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 08:29 AM

If you want it to go in the cabin, then I think Jameel's case is the way to go...

If you want it to survive being tossed, kicked, micowaved... and all the other abuses --- I'd look into getting a trunk and then custom padding it to take the beating the airline baggage people will give it....

I don't think Pelican actualy makes a case that would fit an oud... but here's what I'm thinking
http://www.casesbypelican.com/index.htm

Chris Walters
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 09:49 AM

Hi Michelle,

I agree 100% about the carry on with a soft case, and Jameel's is superb. If you want to check the oud -- then consider something like Richard Hankey's case: http://www.droud.com/forsale.htm -- it's made to fit Arabic sized ouds, and is built like a tank. No cheap funky latches, or goofy interior stuff here -- very well made. Yes, it's 100 bucks over your budget -- but a good hard case will last for eons.

Regards...Paul
Nicola
Oud Maniac

Mood: Gratefull

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 11:09 PM

Jameel's case is perfect to travel! I did...and was great! Carry-on luggage of course ! It fit perfectly!
Michelle Webb
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 08:14 AM
Hard Cases

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I do believe that I'm going to have to check my instrument.
So soft cases will not due. Also, I will have my guitar with me as well and they both can't come on board with me....so any more hard case suggestions would be great !

Thanks
saddas
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 04:18 AM

Some pieces of advice I had read regarding traveling with a hard case are the following:

1) It is recommended to remove all loose objects from within the case that could come into contact with the Oud.

2) The string tension should be somewhat released.

3) If possible, wrap the area around the pegs with bubble wrap. Most damage from travel occurs in the area where the body joins the neck.

4) Make sure the Oud does not move alot within the case. You can fill any extra space with newpapers, towels, shirts, etc.

5) Pack the case into an external cardboard box and fill the box with some material to create a dampening effect for when the case is dropped by the airline staff (e.g., foam).
jkndrkn
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 05:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by saddas  
Some pieces of advice I had read regarding traveling with a hard case are the following:

1) It is recommended to remove all loose objects from within the case that could come into contact with the Oud.

2) The string tension should be somewhat released.

3) If possible, wrap the area around the pegs with bubble wrap. Most damage from travel occurs in the area where the body joins the neck.

4) Make sure the Oud does not move alot within the case. You can fill any extra space with newpapers, towels, shirts, etc.

5) Pack the case into an external cardboard box and fill the box with some material to create a dampening effect for when the case is dropped by the airline staff (e.g., foam).

This is exactly how my Sukar Model 1 arrived in the mail. It really did look like it could survive being dropped!

Michelle Webb
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-9-2009 at 03:53 PM
Thanks guys !!

:bounce:
I went ahead and ordered the soft case from http://www.khalafoud.com/cases.htm

Thanks for all the suggestions.....I guess I've gotta just insist that the Oud be a carry on item.....

Thanks again. :D
shayrgob
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jkndrkn  
Hey Michelle. I don't have any advice on cases since I am a novice Oudist. However, I have run across your music on MySpace before and I have to say I am excited to see the Oud in a modern improvisational context. Do you still play extended-range fretless basses?

I agree...her music is pretty cool!
Michelle Webb
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-15-2009 at 06:32 AM

no actually I don't.

All I'm playing these days are Guitar and Oud. I'm very happy with the Oud and I believe it was what I truly wanted all along, but for me...lol....I had to go down a very winding wild road to get there......

I am however in the middle of having a new electric 8 string guitar made for me (fretted)....once that is done....I will only play that guitar and the Oud. Right now I'm playing a Parker.

I'm very happy where I am at this time.

Go To Top