Printable Version  
Author: Subject: In need for a practice routine
Al Yahudi
Oud Addict

Mood: Sahbak

info.gif posted on 10-5-2009 at 06:05 AM
In need for a practice routine

Ahalan,

Can one of you advanced-professional players post their early days practice routines? Some practice plan that supports speed in reading music and getting more fast with the left hand ?
I find myself experimenting with different materials and then I find am all over the place with little progress.

As of myself, I have taken some classes and I feel very comfortable with the instrument. I also have a very famous oud playing family in my blood but they all past away and since I cant afford taking classes these days I would like to continue studying until I can afford a teacher again.

That would be really appreciated.
oudtab
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 08:52 AM

Bonjour,

Have you tried the Jamil Bashir Oud Method? There is many exercices :

http://www.arabicouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6257#pid3...

Al Yahudi
Oud Addict

Mood: Sahbak

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 09:11 AM
Bonjour

I actually have that, I downloaded it a long while ago.

and my wife can read Arabic so maybe she can help me with the text.

Thanks a lot for that!!!

will promise to let you know how it goes

salamat
permanentnovice
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 12:41 PM

I've downloaded both Bashir books, but I can't read Arabic very well. I went straight to the exercises and I am having a little bit of trouble with the notation. It seems like (and you'll have to excuse my western nomenclature but that's all I know) sometimes when a B flat is written, it wants me to play it with the wrong finger that makes it almost as high as a C, and so on so forth.

I'm wondering if there's a different place to begin, some place that might help me ease into the terms and notation of Arabic instruments. While I'm an experienced musician, it's all on western notation and instruments like guitar, piano, and clarinet.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 06:29 PM

If your oud is tuned the same as indicated in the book and so long as the thumb or wrist is not locked I can't picture what would cause one finger to make a different pitch than another. Can you say which exercise that is? With reference to something specific I'd have a better idea what "the wrong finger" means. Often the wrong finger becomes the right finger in specific situations, usually because of what came before or what will come after, or, if you are like me, because you sliced the normally right finger with a bread knife or caught it in a car door. I mean I've played gigs for hours using unconventional fingering because of one or more fingers being bandaged, swollen, or otherwise incapacitated and while it did mean I had to play simpler, it didn't put me out of tune. It should be the same for anyone.

Quote: Originally posted by permanentnovice  

sometimes when a B flat is written, it wants me to play it with the wrong finger that makes it almost as high as a C, and so on so forth.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 07:33 PM

Can you give an example of what you mean? Page number or something? That way we can see what you're talking about and hopefully clarify. The book does have quite a few errors in it, but I'm not sure what would cause the situation you describe.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top