Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yes, the day has come - oud manufactured in CHINA ;-)))
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 03:26 PM
Yes, the day has come - oud manufactured in CHINA ;-)))

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/215199466/oud.html
shayrgob
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 04:32 PM

that's a lute.

what's sad is that its quality is probably better than the oud my dad got me from Syria
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 06:18 PM

Amazing!

They appear to have three models, inlcuding an electric oud.

http://xsjyq.en.alibaba.com/search/product?IndexArea=product_en&...

Regards,

Greg
shayrgob
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 08:23 PM

watch out for china distributors!! There are a LOT of scams out there. I got conned a little while back from a China distributor who supposedly sold PS3's for a wicked good price. I sent $ for 1 unit just to test the waters and I never heard back from them after sending the $. watch out!
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 01:54 AM

I don't think that's a lute. There are no tied frets on the neck. It's rather looks like an oud with inlaid markers on the neck, like on my Egyptian oud.

[file]11759[/file]

If they really are making ouds, they will be making very good ones in a while. The acoustic one looks like a photo of an oud they PLAN to make, if you follow me. I had serious doubts about Chinese guitars and basses, and then I found an importer who had found two good workshops, and I must say these makers learn quickly, and well. Many of them are small shops that turn out very well-finished goods on demand. Buying direct is indeed hard, as you have no way to explain yourself in case of problems. Though intentions may be good, communications are very difficult.

I have 4 Chinese basses I got from RondoMusic in NJ. When I received the first $139 instrument, my mouth dropped open, the quality and finish were so good! I ended up getting one bass for each specific need, customized them, etc. The two Chinese fretless basses below cost under $150 each, and they are absolute gems (one has inlaid markers on the neck, like the oud above). You could never buy stock instruments like these before for less than $700, and after I modified them, they fully met my needs that otherwise would have cost me thousands.

[file]11763[/file]
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 01:04 PM

OK, I got a reply from the Chinese company that advertised that acoustic and electric oud. I asked for detailed photos and pricing. As I suspected, they have nothing in hand, but will be happy to make anything, from tibia flutes to tubas, from shofars to sofas. Of course the photos are images they have seen and imagine might interest someone. If you look carefully at this photo, you can make out what seems like some right-justified Arabic writing on the label inside the oud, in other words, this is a photo of an MidEastern, not a Chinese, oud.

http://xsjyq.en.alibaba.com/viewimg/photo/217853903/OUD.jpg.html

I also know from experience that this is what you have to read behind this reply:

Regarding the OUD,we just make several samples. Can you send us your pictures for our reference,we will work out the price and production orders. By the way,will you attend Canton Fair on Oct.15th?

Don't hold your breath for Chinese ouds to show up at Guitar Center quite yet.

billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 03:43 PM

think "silk route" ... think tambur ... think uyghur ...

http://www.interactchina.com/servlet/StoreFront

... click on "musical instruments - 03 Uyghur."

chinese ouds aren't wildly outside the realm of possibility - they have the craftsmanship and the cultural cred'.

i own two chinese made, american designed (gibson), "F" style mandolins - both of which are gorgeous. here's my "loar":

[file]11954[/file]

Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 10-22-2009 at 05:21 AM

Actually, once I ordered from ebay (China) an "artistic" hand made 100% painting - thay showed the picture, exact copy of one of the masters - and I got funny (Yes, hand - painted) SOMETHING that the art class in the comunity center would paint better...But ouds....;-)))))
Viola that I got from ebay (China) was very good anyway....

Go To Top