Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Palmyrami
Cooper
Oud Maniac

Mood: 0

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 07:33 AM
Palmyrami

So, has anyone ordered from Palmyrami lately (http://myworld.ebay.com/palmyrami )? Has their service gotten any better since two years ago?

He is claiming to be a "Cretifed Sukkar agent USA," but despite the fact that I am really wanting a Sukar oud, I am still kind of wary from the last time I had to deal with them.

Thanks!
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 08:58 AM

Look up my long posts about them. I've had good service in spite of their total inability to describe ouds in their listings, and am very happy with the Sukar they sold me a few weeks ago. jkndrkn ordered a Sukar from them a month ago, and got a good deal and said he was happy too. Ask him directly.

The Model 1 is a no frills oud with an excellent design. They vary in a bit in finish and details like fingerboard length from unit to unit. I picked one with a full length fingerboard and a single tone walnut bowl.

If you are after a first class instrument, and a perfectionist, you might want to do a little tidy up work like French polishing the soundboard, fine sanding (or upgrading) the pegs and scrubbing off the thin shellac/varnish on the fingerboard (that wears off quickly anyway) with a long term protection against string gouging like Cyanoacrylate, epoxy or Tung oil. That's what I did and the oud is absolutely great. The action can be adjusted with a butterfly nut that tightens to slightly pull back the neck angle, and after adjustment, my action is a bit under 3mm at the neck/body junction. It has a specific timbre that can be described as strong and bright, with a lot of resonant nodes all over the spectrum.

Here's what it sounded like (in a mix) with its factory strings and before any improvements :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6DAUYlPZtM

I'm very happy with what is sounds and looks like now (very short clip and photos below):

[file]12029[/file]

I definitely recommend these Model 1 Sukars, as they were recommended to me, incredible deal for the money. Their more expensive models are apparently very similar but using some costlier materials. Palmyrami sells mostly furniture, and they don't know much about ouds, but they are the "cretified" reps for Sukar and deliver instruments with the "certificates" attached inside. As of this year anyway they have had their instruments packed very well (in Syria), they have delivered quickly, and they have been honorable and responsive on problems.

[file]12030[/file] [file]12038[/file]
Cooper
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-27-2009 at 06:45 AM

Thank you so much fernandraynaud! I appreciate the info, video and music file!!! :D

I have played a model 1 and yes, it is still very nice. I decided to order the model 14 and will post pictures of it when I get it this week. Maybe a music file if I feel confident ;)

Thank you again!
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2009 at 12:34 PM

Very curious about the Model 14, exactly how it differs. On my Model 1, coating the fingerboard, which is made of an ordinary wood and not e.g. ebony, has made a huge difference in the sustain and timbre. The Tung Oil layer has held up very well so far. It would have to be a very high quality ebony indeed, to not require a protective layer. I see so many ouds for sale with "Greasy Grand Canyon in Rast" fingerboards. What is the Model 14 fingerboard made of, and is it varnished or not?

Is the soundboard finished or raw wood?

What are the pegs made of, and how well-fitted are they?

Look forward to detailed close-up photos and a sound sample.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 05:12 AM

Hi Fernand!

Model 14 (11 and 12 are almost the same. The only defferance is the number of peaces on the bowl, and the inlay) have eboney pegs (looks like they are not made by Sukar, but bought i europ), eboney extanded fingerboard (but his newest ouds do not have the eboney fingerboard anymore, he is using walnot wood :-(
The fingerboard is varnished. But loses its varnishe after just one day of playing!!
Sound board is not finished!

I have 7 Sukar ouds. 3 of them are model 1. The rest are
custom made (variations on models 11 and 12).

And I agree with, the model 1 is almost as good. You just need to work on the pegs (or change them!).

I even think that the model 1 has the charmes/looks of a authantic arabic oud. While 11, 12 and 14 look more modern.
So it is a personal taste.

Hope that helped.
p.s. sorry for not providing pictures. I am not a technology man :-)

Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 06:23 AM

Hi Luttgutt :wavey:

You have 7 Sukar`s ??!!

I`m really jeallous!! I´d be lucky to have one!!

So... if you ever think about selling one:D ......CONTACT ME!!!

Cheers

Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 08:01 AM

Up until about a month ago I had a model 1 -- traded it for a nice F-Style mandolin.... But I kept my older and fancier Sukar oud (200-something) Nicer pegs, more fancy, inlaid fingerboard....

I would heartily recommend the ouds. They are flat out awesome.... Replace the strings though... I'm a big fan of the Aquilla light tension Nygut strings taht Khalafoud sells... and others are fans of Pyramids... Regardless, the strings that come with the oud flat out suck... so be sure to replace them....

For Palmyrami, I can't remember hearing of any issues since I bought two ouds from them about a year ago...

Look forward to hearing and seeing your new oud....

Chris Walters
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-29-2009 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marcus  
Hi Luttgutt :wavey:

You have 7 Sukar`s ??!!

I`m really jeallous!! I´d be lucky to have one!!

So... if you ever think about selling one:D ......CONTACT ME!!!

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus!
Did not mean to make you jealous. Just trying to point out that I know a litle about Sukar ouds.
And I have to admit that in spite of the fact that I have many ouds (much more then 7 :-) I still get jealous when I see new beautiful ouds made by many of the good makers we have these days.

Actually, I am selling all my arabic size ouds because of a problem I have with my shoulder. I am only playing turkish size now. But I am not trying to sell them on Mike Oud because of to facts:
1- I would brake my heart if one of my ouds gets broken on the way (I am selling them in Norway, no shipping).
2- It would be really sad if something goes wrong and the buyer from this Forum because angree or sad or unsatisfied. I don't think I am willing to take that risk.

I hope you understand :-)

Christian, I have tried many type of strings on all my ouds. And every individual oud loves a different string type.
So some of my Sukar oud became best with Daniel Mari, one with Aquila light, one with Pyramid, and one actually with a combination of different types!!
So I think it is too much generalizing to say that this or that is best for Sukar ouds, or Matta ouds etc..

p.s. I love this Forum :-)
Cooper
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-29-2009 at 06:49 PM

My model 14 arrived today and I love it! It seems to have some minor blemishes, but nothing that really bothers me (discoloring on the peg box, one of the pegs is a lighter brown than the rest and the neck having a little bit of a seem looking thing). The case is scuffed up, but it was free.

Now, the thing was packed tight and packed well (AWESOME)! It took 10 minutes just to get it out of all the wrapping ;)

It feels really good and despite the fact it needs new strings (why did I not think about that before?), it sounds good to me. As far as I can tell, the neck is straight. The pegs are easy to turn and don't slip.

I plan on having my friend check it out this Saturday since he knows more about ouds than I do. I also plan on stringing and tuning it to F since I don't really care about having the low C string.

I ordered the instrument on Sunday evening and it got here today, so that was fast. And he sold it to me for $600, so I think I am pretty damn happy right now :D

I will try to up load a few picks....
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 10-30-2009 at 02:37 AM

Hi Luttgutt :wavey:,

yes, I understand..sniff...:(

Another question: Where did you bought your Sukars.
The only thing I find is Palmyrami and they sell only in the US.

Cheers

Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-30-2009 at 06:06 AM

Cooper, best of health, play it with health and soul and all that and I HATE YOU I am so jealous :D

All kidding aside, your Sukar will sound so much better with good strings you won't believe it. Bill Ostrie can get you strings very fast and if you order the 0.019" "mumtaz" or "course 0" strings with a Turkish or Arabic Daniel Mari set, you will be able to string it either to a high ff or a cc. The Mari strings cost $7.99 and the "course 0" pair is $0.99 extra as I recall. Great deal on great strings. They sound fantastic on my Sukar, especially the wound ones.

Personally, I would never tune it to ff, because you lose one of the fat-sounding wound courses, nylons just cannot sound as rich. Also the Sukar has a relatively bright timbre already.

I guess I should add that there is no difference to speak of between the Mari Turkish and Arabic sets, I have both, and the Turkish just has a slightly lighter second nylon course. I'm not sure why Mari makes two such similar sets.

I hope to have my Model 1 for many years. I shellac'ed my soundboard to keep it nice and clean, it also tightens up the sound a little, though it's obviously optional. But DO keep an eye on your fingerboard. When you (soon) see the varnish start to wear off under the notes you play most, like C, the varnish will probably buzz where it's wearing, and you will probably want to get it all off, which you can do with a little alcohol and steel wool (careful not to get alcohol on the bowl). You will then have to decide whether to coat the fingerboard to prevent the wood from getting gouged by the strings like the varnish did. There's a variety of walnut that's almost as hard as ebony, and I would skip coating only if that fingerboard walnut is like that.

DO enjoy your beauty in good health! It's really elegant. I'm glad to hear Palmyrami came through for you, as they ARE the CRETIFIED Sukar reps.

Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-30-2009 at 07:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marcus  

Hi Luttgutt :wavey:,

yes, I understand..sniff...:(

Another question: Where did you bought your Sukars.
The only thing I find is Palmyrami and they sell only in the US.

Cheers

Marcus

Marcus, 4 of my sukars are custom made (I travel all the way to get them :-) Sukar does not send!
The 3 model 1 I have, I got while I 'm there :-) Since I am there anyway, and I get to choose the one I want!

I have only one more arabic size to sell. If I end up in Germany, and still have it, I'll bring it with me :-)

Cooper, congratulations! Good oud and wanderful price!
Play it a lot the first few monthes, and it will get much better.
And yes, it is wise to change the strings. I also advise Daniel Mari. But if you are not a begynner, I'll try the Aquila light too!
Enjoy;)

Cooper
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-30-2009 at 10:51 AM

Thanks for the advice you guys. I am hoping my fiddle player (well, he plays a lot of other instruments too, like the oud), might have an extra set of LaBella oud strings he can sell me. So, it looks like I will keep it at the regular Arabic tuning (I call it "C" tuning).

Compared to my old Turk, anything is better, so this was a real nice acquisition. I mostly play the Arabic tablah and also hammered dulcimer, but it is really hard to play a lot of Near East and Mediterranean music on the dulcimer (perfect for Irish music, though).

I have been wanting a Sukar for a while and just decided to go for it and I am glad I did. I really like how the case does not flop to the side when opening it (bonus). :buttrock:

Go To Top