Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Had my first lesson!!!! My thoughts and some questions!!
shayrgob
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-27-2009 at 11:31 PM
Had my first lesson!!!! My thoughts and some questions!!

Ok everyone. I FINALLY had my first lesson with Ronnie Malley @ the Old Town School of Folk Music. He's an awesome guy and knows his stuff. He told my that my oud is decent (yeah make fun of me some more).

Anyway, I've been playing for a little bit and it seems more natural for me to play the oud than the guitar, which is weird b/c I've been playing the guitar for almost 3 months now! I just feel more at home with the oud.

Also, my teacher told me to strum the string all the way by the pick guard, but the problem is that the pick guard is all the way at one extreme end of the oud. If I were to pick there, my wrist would be bent 90 degrees. Any suggestions?

Also, where can I get a peg from? One of mine is broken.

Thanks for reading...
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 12:27 AM

In ...er... one of the medieval treatises, can't remember which one, by er...Al whatsisname, it says to play the strings at 1/10th of the length of the string, .. if that helps? Personally I think it depends on what tone you're after or whether you like the sound at that distance... And I think your palm meant to be parallel with the oud face?

I'm sure someone better informed (or with a better memory?) :D
will enlighten us both.

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 12:52 AM

Well, after 3 months, I'm happy that you are re-adjusting so well, and liking the oud.

Look at a lot of Youtube clips to see how people hold the reesha. Of course you play at different spots depending on the tone you want, but still you're in the 1st 3rd of the string from the bridge, I can't imagine where else you would want to pick. Your wrist can't help but be bent if your arm is coming in under the midline, as many teachers recommend. If your teacher "knows his stuff", you do need to ask him (and not us) and make sure you're in tune with what he's teaching you.

Buying single pegs is not easy at all. If you're using 11 strings out of 12 pegs, it's not an issue, is it? Just carefully glue the broken peg with gel superglue and keep it in the pegbox for when you need a spare. Even if you need to use it now, it will probably work. I've been using a superglue glued peg for months, I'm truly not even sure which one it is anymore.

If you really are as unhappy with ALL your pegs as you previously indicated you were, you can buy 12 nice new rosewood viola pegs for about $17 with shipping from http://www.dov-music.com/, and have a violin repair shop ream the pegbox for that taper pegs and install them. They're constantly reaming and bushing and bushing and reaming violins, seeing as ebony pegs wear the khrapp out of peg holes, so they have lots of practice. It might be worth it, maybe $100 or so if you can find a local shop that's not too greedy. But then again when they see you're not installing ebony pegs, and thus are not going to be back for many bushing-reaming cycles, they may charge you a bit more :D
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 01:20 AM

Check out Mav's website, it could help. He does a good job of explaining and there are photo's to see good position

http://www.oudcafe.com/right_hand_basics.htm

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 05:47 AM

Ah, but if you're going to be able to support the oud, so you can (even) play standing up, the arm has to come in lower, below the midline, no?
shayrgob
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Well, after 3 months, I'm happy that you are re-adjusting so well, and liking the oud.

Look at a lot of Youtube clips to see how people hold the reesha. Of course you play at different spots depending on the tone you want, but still you're in the 1st 3rd of the string from the bridge, I can't imagine where else you would want to pick. Your wrist can't help but be bent if your arm is coming in under the midline, as many teachers recommend. If your teacher "knows his stuff", you do need to ask him (and not us) and make sure you're in tune with what he's teaching you.

Buying single pegs is not easy at all. If you're using 11 strings out of 12 pegs, it's not an issue, is it? Just carefully glue the broken peg with gel superglue and keep it in the pegbox for when you need a spare. Even if you need to use it now, it will probably work. I've been using a superglue glued peg for months, I'm truly not even sure which one it is anymore.

If you really are as unhappy with ALL your pegs as you previously indicated you were, you can buy 12 nice new rosewood viola pegs for about $17 with shipping from http://www.dov-music.com/, and have a violin repair shop ream the pegbox for that taper pegs and install them. They're constantly reaming and bushing and bushing and reaming violins, seeing as ebony pegs wear the khrapp out of peg holes, so they have lots of practice. It might be worth it, maybe $100 or so if you can find a local shop that's not too greedy. But then again when they see you're not installing ebony pegs, and thus are not going to be back for many bushing-reaming cycles, they may charge you a bit more :D

Thank you so much for all your input. I actually sourced an ebony peg from a local music store for $5!!! It's a violin peg thats diameter is a bit too big but I'm thinking that I can sand it down to fit. Is there any reason why I shouldn't try doing that?

Also, about the picking...my hand naturally falls at the sound hole. If I try bringing it back any further my wrist bends, which is uncomfortable and could lead to wrist problems. Hope this clarifies what I meant.
shayrgob
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 12:18 PM

oh and if I had the chance to see my oud teacher every day to ask him questions I would def. take that opportunity but as it is I have to drive 1.5 hours for lessons. lol

And I can't find the old peg that broke so that's why I haven't tried salvaging it.

peace

Go To Top