Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tremolo - Proper Technique?
shayrgob
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 09:42 PM
Tremolo - Proper Technique?

I just spent 15 minutes searching the site for any information on the tremolo and I honestly couldn't find anything pertaining to how it should be done.

I'm practicing it but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I've read something about bouncing the risha but I'm not sure.

If you guys could tell me how it should be done that would be great. thanks
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 11-1-2009 at 01:19 AM

You have some advices on this thread :

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9782
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 11-1-2009 at 09:41 AM

Hi all & Shyrgob!
:wavey:

Usually, the people ask how to do this or that, in this case tremolo and they hope that there is a prescription how to be good in this... Quickly. Right now. ;-). Well, I wish there is prescription (I really wish it for myself), BUT!!! THERE IS NOT. Even when you found out HOW to do tremolo, (vibrato, gliss, hammering, etc...) it will not sound good at once. Your hand & mind need "to develop musculs". Like, well, it is just the example, when you go to gym, you do not become beautiful after a few sessions. You need A LOOOOT of times. When you find out HOW, there is a long way to go and a lot of practicing. ;-)))
Usualy, we do find out how to do let's say tremolo, but it does not work... Then we keep looking for ANOTHER WAY of doing tremolo(the first way must be wrong...) or ANOTHER TEACHER.
But really, the secret is to PRACTICE a lot. I wasted a lot of time trying to "figure" things instead of DOING IT, SLOWLY BUT SHURELY.
Even is somebody of us is "NOT TALENTED" he can achive his goal. I have seen a few "not talented" people who become REALY GOOD MUSICIANS with hard work and the difference between talented and not tallented was erased in those particular cases. Even Bach said that if ANYONE will put such a lot of work in music, this persone would achive the same results as Bach himself.
So when you find out what to do at this nice link that David B. posted, work hard.
;-)))))

Good luck!
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 11-1-2009 at 09:53 AM

I couldn't say it in a better way... I like your quote about Bach !

I'm going to practice once more :airguitar: ;)
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 02:31 AM

I don't know if this is the "correct" way to play the tremolo, but I thought I'd show what works for me. By slowing the video down and enhancing the contrast, we can see the way the reesha connects with the strings without "catching". It's still the tip that "plucks", which is why the shorter the flat leading edge, the louder the reesha. Normal up and down strokes work much the same way. If we had a reessha material like eagle feather, the scraping portion of the sound would likely be much richer :D

Slow motion video of tremolo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36fv7RorHI

jkndrkn
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 01:12 PM

Hey Marina,

Watching your video on proper plucking technique and studying the angle at which you plucked the string has been the most helpful for me in terms of developing the ability to play a tremolo.

shayrgob: What's worked for me is the following:

1) When you pluck a string, pluck downward through the string and let the risha rest on the next lowest string.

2) When you pluck a string, don't pluck parallel to the face of the Oud. Pluck in a direction slightly toward the face of Oud.

3) When you follow steps 1 and 2, you'll find that when plucking upward, your Risha will actually be at an angle to the strings which allows the strings to sort of "slide" off of the risha without catching and causing the tremolo to sound uneven.

I've gone from playing a really uneven and uncontrollable loud tremolo to a very controllable tremolo that I can play at various dynamic levels. I'm still working on speed, consistent beginning and ending of the tremolo, and switching from tremolo to plucking normally confidently.

Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 12:43 PM

;-)
hi there jkndrkn

yes, the risha rests at the lower string usualy. but!!! in tremolo, you need to stay close to strings, so sometime, if the risha does not touch the lower string it is ok too.
shayrgob
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 07:13 PM

awesome guys!!!

fernandraynaud: thanks for the slow mo...that was very interesting to watch. I've been working on the tremelo and it's getting better!

Marina: after practicing it for a couple weeks I suppose I agree that there really was no substitute for just doing it. haha

Go To Top