Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Which Risha's work's best for u? Soft or Medium? POST some Risha Pictures that u Use!
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

info.gif posted on 11-1-2009 at 03:44 PM
Which Risha's work's best for u? Soft or Medium? POST some Risha Pictures that u Use!

Which is better and works 4 u? and commonly used by many?

coz in light tension for me is easier and well balance and soft tremolo but if I increased the tension I do get the scratchy sound.
the medium for me is a little hard more to balance, and keeping the timing same but very soft as well.. but it has a lot of more control in terms of volume especially crescendo's I can get vey loud in these but in the light Risha seems to be a little limited due to the lightness of it.

which should I used? Light or medium?:shrug:

Anybody has suggestion which Best Material to used?

Always, :applause:

Shalom,

Philip:airguitar:

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 01:28 AM

I find that the shape of the reesha is very important, and it's a good job for sandpaper.

How are the experienced players' reeshas shaped?

I've tried sanding down to a lot of different thicknesses and shapes, and I find I prefer part of the edge to be straight and to be held nearly parallel to the strings. Although the tip of the plectrum needs to snap through to get the best tone for me, the leading edge (where it first meets the string) has to be thick and tough enough to slide over the strings and not catch, or a tremolo becomes very difficult. If you imagine a reesha of cardboard you see what the problem is, it's a different way of plucking. I don't think any factory-made reesha can do the job, because the thickness needs to become gradually thinner at the edges and the tip.

In the image below, it's mostly 0.030" black Delrin. Reeshas 3 and 4 are a softer thicker material. Number 3 I find barely OK to play very quietly, 4 is pretty useless. Shapes like 6, 7 and 9 work best for me.

Reesha 6 shows two different sides that can be alternated: the bottom longer face plays quieter. The other end of 6 (not shown) has even shorter straight faces, more like 7, and these play really loud!

I put up a video referenced from the Tremolo thread.

[file]12159[/file]
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 03:15 AM
Shukran fernandraynaud!

Thanks for the enlightenment!

Your Very Kind. Will Try sanding some Rishas

Maybe I will Order some Material from Jameel.

He Sells some material that you can sand by yourself kind of thing.

Thanks Again!

Cheers Mate!

Philip

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 11-4-2009 at 10:46 PM

Saw this, making a horn risha/mizrap, great Turkish oud soundtrack too!

I tried one of these last week, way different to the usual synthetic variety, great tone but the stiffness would take a bit of getting used to, or maybe the one I tried needed a bit of t.l.c.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZJauJmzA3g

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 03:26 PM
Thanks Sazi!!!

Shukran Sazi!!!:applause:

Great deal! nice Risha.......

Does the horn sound better? coz I'm thinking it will be impossible to get used to a very hard Risha.........

Shalom Sazi!!

Sazi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 03:41 PM

I only tried it for a short time, it belonged to a friend, but I think the sound is definitely better than other material I've used, more natural sound, - horn is like fingernail, (which also means that it will wear out like a fingernail). I too thought it might be hard to get used to but I think if you use high tension and want good tone, dynamics and projection, then it may be worth trying to get used to it.
I guess you could buy a few (from?) and sand a couple a bit thinner to start with and work your way up.

FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

exclamation.gif posted on 11-7-2009 at 02:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sazi  
I only tried it for a short time, it belonged to a friend, but I think the sound is definitely better than other material I've used, more natural sound, - horn is like fingernail, (which also means that it will wear out like a fingernail).

Good Day Sazi!!:wavey:

Does It wear out easily compare to Plastic or Tortoise? or a Better Longer Life.

BTW I'm Waiting for some new Rishas Blanks From MatthewW he send me some rishas!

Awesome!!! Thanks MatthewW:bowdown:

Shukran,

Sazi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 02:46 AM

"Does It wear out easily compare to Plastic or Tortoise? or a Better Longer Life."(?)

I only tried it once, I've never had one but the owner said - "horn is like fingernail, which also means that it will wear out like a fingernail."

....and I dont think I'm gonna try wearing out a fingernail to compare with :D

FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 03:32 AM

....and I dont think I'm gonna try wearing out a fingernail to compare with :D

Inshallah they will make Rishas Made out of fingernails!LOL:D

Thanks Man!:applause:

Cheers!

Have a Healthy Long life Sazi!

-Philip:airguitar:
Sazi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 03:38 AM

You too mate!, happy ouding:cool:

Sazi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2009 at 11:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by FLIPAX  

Inshallah they will make Rishas Made out of fingernails!LOL:D

-Philip:airguitar:

Funny you should say that, for ages now I've been trying to grow one little fingernail to stick on the end of a risha just to see if it sounds as good as I reckon it would... but everytime it gets almost long enough (but not quite) it breaks!!:mad:

FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

exclamation.gif posted on 11-10-2009 at 01:46 PM

but everytime it gets almost long enough (but not quite) it breaks!!:mad:

HAHAHAHA!

There are Some Glue for fingernails that classical players use, It helps the fingernails to become stronger and less of breakage!

Maybe we can use some glue!:D

Risha + Fingers = Awesome Combination

You can achieve Nice Hybrid picking for chords and change of timbre when you used Fingers instead of risha...........

Happy Ouding Man:applause:

Shalom,

P:S:
Anybody can Share Which Rishas are u using? Soft or Medium? How Critical Do u Choose your Rishas?
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-10-2009 at 05:18 PM

Whom should we ask but the man they call Rich-in-Reeshas? I just got 60 (yes, sixty) reeshas in 4 different materials on e-bay for $2 plus $4 shipping. There is a classic black Delrin, and a yellowish hard plastic, and a thinner white snappy plastic, and a lot of thin ones poured of a gelatinous white substance.

So I started shaping them so no two are the same! I will be done some time next year. Yahoo! but I quickly discovered that the soft gelatinous white stuff bends too much, unless you hold it very tight like a snake behind the head it's never where you want it to be, and if you can quickly hit a bass string then a high high string with it, you are doing better than me. The hard yellowish is pretty narrow, and has no flexibility, so it's like picking with a pencil. The narrow thin Turkish clicky white also bends too easily, so that you have to hold it tight and short, and you can't clear say 1 cm of whippy snappy happy reesha. So far nothing's as good as a 0.5" by 6.5" by 0.030" black Delrin sanded down to the right shape and thickness. With sandpaper you can make 0.030" Delrin be either very stiff, or very thin and flexible, because Delrin is so tough you can make a paper thin edge and it will still last a very long time. The right shapes (for me) include 6 and 7 in my previous photo above. Maybe 6 at one end and 5 at the other, or 7 at one end and 9 at the other, but 6 and 7 together are good. The more click you want, the thinner the tip should be. The louder you want, the shorter the straight "leading edge" should be.

That is the end of today's report from the reesha front, Rich-in-Reeshas reporting.

Hoping for more pictures from other members!

[file]12264[/file]
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 11-10-2009 at 10:49 PM

Delrin sounds cool, I've never tried it...I mostly collect cut off cable ties and shape them using broken glass and sandpaper...I have some mizrite blanks from Jameel..made a pick out of one -- very flexible, and good sounding. I've always used fairly stiff picks -- I'll get some delrin and have a pick making party, and let you know how I like it. The best picks I've ever made are somewhere in the universe...the best ones always seem to escape somehow :( Thanks for all the pics, very informative.

Regards...PaulO
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

light.gif posted on 11-11-2009 at 07:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paulO  

The best picks I've ever made are somewhere in the universe...the best ones always seem to escape somehow :(

Hi! PaulO!

Hope You catch The Good One's!:D

So Stiff Rishas are better for paulO?

BTW Are PICKS or Risha? coz picks are for Guitar.. also ok for Oud But not My Thing though....

Can u Post Some Pics the one's You've Made?

Thanks mate

ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 08:03 AM

My favorite material has always been zip ties. In particular, the thinner and more flexible end gives a great soft clicky sort of sound.
Sazi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 03:18 PM

I was told Naseer Shamma often uses them too!

ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 03:40 PM

My uncle who introduced me to the oud first started using them maybe 10 years ago. I thought he was crazy But ever since I started really listening to Farid it's been the only readily available material that gets me close enough to his attack.
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by FLIPAX  

coz picks are for Guitar...

They are called plectrum ;)

Quote:
... also ok for Oud But not My Thing though....

But for me, because I mutated from guitarist to oud player :airguitar:

But there's only one, I use for both instruments ... THIS ... btw ... I hate standard guitar plectrums.

I showed it to Sabbassi, when I bought my oud. He was very sceptic to use a plectrum on an oud and I said: "This one is different, try grade 1 of the three. It's the softest." He did and said: "Great ... cut of number 2 and 3 and glue it to a stick to get a perfect risha." :D

There are two reasons, I use this plectrum: First, I have long arms, so with a risha and holding the oud normally, I would pick the strings above the sound hole, which sounds awfully soft. The other reason is, that I'm much faster with this plectrum and can achieve a risha like sound, but also variations ... hard click, soft click, etc..

Greetings from Germany

Chris
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 10:29 PM

It's always the same with the guitar players, they want to start out all wrong, for this or that reason. If you are picking too near the soundhole there are reasons other than the plectrum being "wrong"! And these reasons will likely affect how you handle the oud. Isn't it better to start out the classical way?

We should have a polite but firm standard statement for all the nubies who explain why they play better with an ice cream spoon, or a rectal thermometer, and that statement is: Fine, but try it the way it's been done for millenia, THEN we'll talk.

Seriously, don't you think that a couple thousand+ years of smart people playing such a lute would have tried all sorts of plectra, and shown SOME intelligence in selecting the long flexible reesha? Now if you don't care about the oud's characteristic timbre, maybe it doesn't matter.

I've tried a lot of ways. I use my fingers sometimes, but it's for a specific non-oud-like effect, and I keep the reesha in my hand to get back to business, because I LOVE the way the oud sounds, and I KNOW I'm just learning.

Sazi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2009 at 10:48 PM

Aymara - what drew you to the oud in the first place?

I suppose everyone's got a right to use whatever they want (even a rectal thermometer!:D) but later you will find that you probably can't do some of the things you hear on oud that you like, because you need a risha for the technique. I also originally played guitar and initially felt just the way you do, in fact I just couldn't handle a risha at all, but believe me, it's necessary if you want to do all those lucious tricky sounding "good oud" bits, and it would be a lot easier to get used to it sooner rather than later.

Have fun anyway!

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 12:02 AM

Maybe this isn't true, but maybe it is: "it's not supposed to be easy. If it's too easy, you're doing it wrong." :D

Most likely you were drawn to the oud to learn new things, not the ones you already knew. :cool:

BTW, NearEast Manufacturing has Cow Bone Resshas back in stock. Over a dollar a piece, but think of how many cows they have to grind up to make a reesha!

They supply everybody else, so look for Bone Reeshas at your favorite deep discount webshop.
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 01:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
It's always the same with the guitar players, they want to start out all wrong, for this or that reason.

I knew, that this comment will come ;)

Aymara - what drew you to the oud in the first place?

Because I look so cool, when I dress like a sheik, when playing oud :D

Ok, gotta get serious again ... it's mainly because of it's specific sound and the fretless fingerboard.

Quote:
I suppose everyone's got a right to use whatever they want (even a rectal thermometer!:D) ...

Because I always was an autodidact, I created the following learning plan:

1. getting used to the fretless fingerboard and only play MY kind of music ... I make good progress here

2. improving on holding the oud correctly ... so far I prefer the technique with the crossed legs, the Trio Joubran uses

3. try different rishas and improve that technique ... though I expect, that I will use both in the future, risha and plectrum, depending of what I want to play

4. maybe try learning arabic music to give MY music a new "flavour" here and there

I bet, that many advanced oud players and trainers would declare my step-by-step learning strategy as a wrong approach, because it endangers me of gettings used to wrong techniques, but on the other hand this strategy has a major advantage, I develop first success much faster as when learning the traditionell way ... so my approach is much more fun.
And I think the risk of accustom myself to wrong techniques isn't too big, if the above mentioned phases aren't too long.

Quote:
Have fun anyway!

Thanks, I have a lot so far, especially because I hear my progress.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Sazi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 02:09 AM

Well, whatever works for you has got to be the best way to go;) nice to hear you're happy with your progress, I'm always my own worst critic!:(

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 02:45 AM

..., I'm always my own worst critic!:(

Sometimes it's the same with myself, but I'm also a realist. And in this case (oud learning) I expected it to last much longer, especially to get used to the fretless fingerboard.

I even thought of making temporary fret markings, but after a few hours I noticed, that this will not be necessary.

So I'm very happy, that already most of my notes are gripped correctly on the fingerboard. I would have never expected to learn this sooo fast (a few days).

But for shure I'm still very far from perfect.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top