Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to make the pegs turn smooth?
Yaron Naor
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-1-2009 at 10:22 PM
How to make the pegs turn smooth?

The pegs on an old Oud of a friend goes tik tik tik How can I make them go smooth?
Thank you all
Yaron.

Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 11-1-2009 at 10:57 PM

Here you go Yaron. http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2292

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 03:59 AM

Wow! I don't know if you plan to go THAT far as that tutorial. What you describe could be Tik Tik Tik of the pegs, or the nut. Do you mean the pegs squeak, or there are jumps when the wound strings "click" on the nut's grooves?

The pegs, if they are fitted well to their holes, can be treated with a little hard soap, this has to be a very very dry old piece of plain plain soap. On the "rings" were the peg and pegbox mate. This will make the pegs turn very smoothly. Too smoothly. They will not hold. So you balance that with a little chalk. Chalk will make it stop and hold. Too much hold. So it's a tricky balance you have to find, to where you can easily start it turning, and when you stop, it stays. It takes very little of both. I have not tried peg dope, and I have not tried beeswax, but a lot of very good old instrument luthiers only use soap and chalk.

One headache I find with oud pegs is that the taper is much "faster" than on modern violin/viola pegs, and this makes them work out very easily. So you have to keep pushing in as you tune.

Good luck. Maybe if you explain better what the tik tik tik is ...

Yaron Naor
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 06:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Wow! I don't know if you plan to go THAT far as that tutorial. What you describe could be Tik Tik Tik of the pegs, or the nut. Do you mean the pegs squeak, or there are jumps when the wound strings "click" on the nut's grooves?

The pegs, if they are fitted well to their holes, can be treated with a little hard soap, this has to be a very very dry old piece of plain plain soap. On the "rings" were the peg and pegbox mate. This will make the pegs turn very smoothly. Too smoothly. They will not hold. So you balance that with a little chalk. Chalk will make it stop and hold. Too much hold. So it's a tricky balance you have to find, to where you can easily start it turning, and when you stop, it stays. It takes very little of both. I have not tried peg dope, and I have not tried beeswax, but a lot of very good old instrument luthiers only use soap and chalk.

One headache I find with oud pegs is that the taper is much "faster" than on modern violin/viola pegs, and this makes them work out very easily. So you have to keep pushing in as you tune.

Good luck. Maybe if you explain better what the tik tik tik is ...

Thanks you both for your replies!
The "Tik" sound comes from the "Rings" that holds the pegs.
In one hand it is hard to turn them acuratly in the other hand they are release after one day??:(

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 04:58 PM

Are the strings "settled"? If they are new, they stretch, so you need to help them by stretching, but up and down parallel to the soundboard (so you don't stress the bridge). After a few days they stop stretching. The wound strings settle first.

Then I would try to rub a little bit of hard soap and chalk at the worn "rings", very very little of each, first on one peg to try. You can practice on the 12th peg. Work the mix into the wood by turning. You want it to resist turning, then break loose and turn freely, and when you stop, it should resist again. That's the ideal mix of chalk and soap. If you put too much of either, no drama, clean off and start over.

When you tune you have to take a bit of a "running start" and estimate where you will stop. All the time, you are pushing the peg in.

Very important: look at how the wound strings are wrapped against the pegbox wall. This pulls the pegs inward. You can reposition the winding with your fingernail.

[file]12173[/file]
omazuz
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 07:54 PM
Yaron- can u make Oud stand ?

Yaron hi
Can u make oud stand like this in the pic ?
I tryed to find yr email
Ofer
Yaron Naor
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2009 at 11:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by omazuz  
Yaron hi
Can u make oud stand like this in the pic ?
I tryed to find yr email
Ofer

Yes Ofer, I can, just send me a mail or call me
Ibisyn@gmail.com

Go To Top