Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New album The Prophet - Music inspired by Kahlil Gibran by JT
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

exclamation.gif posted on 11-14-2009 at 05:16 PM
New album The Prophet - Music inspired by Kahlil Gibran by JT

Joeseph is releasing a new album of solo oud soon. Here's a a brief description from the press release:

"Kahlil Gibran’s much loved book, The Prophet is the inspiration behind Joseph’s 6th album. This literary classic, philosphically addresses topics such as Love, Pain, Work, Reason and Passion, Children and Friendship through poetry, and Joseph has composed music relating to each topic.
“The book was such an inspiring source and I was so taken by Gibran’s comforting views on life. The compositions seemed to flow naturally to me after reading Gibran’s amazing book.” Asked about his book in 1923, Gibran replied ‘It wrote me’. “I feel exactly the same way about these compositions, ‘they wrote me’ and I’ve learnt so about myself as a musician and human.”

It also comes in a very special package too, with a 32 page full colour hard cover book featuring Gibran’s poems accompanying the CD. This album is a remarkable body of work which showcases a young Australian composer of musical maturity way beyond his years. It places Joseph squarely in the ranks of the world’s greatest Oud players and is destined to become a classic in its own right."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the privilege to hear a test mix of this music while Joseph was staying with me recently. This is an absolutely amazing collection of original compositions that runs the gamut from traditional arabic sounding pieces to very modern sound poems that push the boundaries of what is possible on the oud. I think it will have a major impact on solo oud and will surely establish Joseph as one of the ouds major performers and innovators. While there is plenty of Joe's signature rapid fire virtuosity, the set is balanced by introspective meditations that linger on the sound of single notes and explores an aural space showing a new direction for Joseph's compositions.

We should have some news soon about a release date – in the meantime, here's a video (recorded while he was visiting a Kan Zaman rehearsal) with JT playing a taqasim that flows into a piece (Love) from the new album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URz9OrXpuVw

uploaded earlier Joe plays "Self Knowledge" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD76Dk3BaLo

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 09:50 PM
Album Cover

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 11:33 PM

Thanks for the info LeeVaris, to me it sounds like a perfect gift for my girlfriend who loves Gibran's book :D
FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bayyati Shuri.....

[*] posted on 11-22-2009 at 11:17 PM

OMG!

Thats Awesome!

I'm a JT fan!:xtreme:

I have His Past albums. Ordered it directly from birdland.:D

When it will be release?

cheers

Philip:airguitar:

Every time I Hear The Oud, I fall into a Deep Long Trance of Perpetual Bliss!

"Naseem Al Rooh"
jass
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-25-2009 at 03:23 AM

You are right Philip, I found it here: http://www.birdland.com.au/catalogue/category634/p57351

All his other titles seem to be available there too!

:airguitar:
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 10:00 AM

Just got mine in the mail a few days ago. Not much more to ad other than JT has done it again! AWESOME, AWESOME CD! The booklet that is the CD jacket is amazing. I highly recommend listening to it with a nice glass of your favorite drink! Way to go JT!

On a side note: JT has been unable to logon to the boards as of late. He and I are miffed as to why. At this point, expect him to open up a new account, and then maybe we can merge all of his previous postings to the new account (I hope). So please don't feel as if he has been ignoring you guys, because he hasn't.

Finally, here's JT's full press release as well as some other pertinent info on the CD.

------------------------------------

THE PROPHET: MUSIC INSPIRED BY THE POETRY OF KAHLIL GIBRAN CD with 32 page colour book AVAILABLE NOW FOR CHRISTMAS!

WWW.BIRDLAND.COM.AU

JOSEPH TAWADROS
Prolific Composer and Oud Master at 26

THE PROPHET
MUSIC INSPIRED BY THE POETRY OF KAHLIL GIBRAN

Joseph Tawadros never ceases to amaze and at 26, this young Australian is heading to great heights. With a Freedman Fellowship under his belt, two young Australian of the year nominations, two limelight awards, four ARIA nominations and six albums to his name. He continues to appear at festivals and concert halls throughout the world, dazzling audiences with his brilliant technique, his passionate musicianship and his joyous style of performance.

In his latest release, Joseph goes totally solo in a special recording, transporting us into another world with the magical sounds of the Oud (fretless Egyptian lute). “It is my most important recording to date”, Joseph says. “I’ve been looking for the right time to record a solo album and I believe this recording has come at exactly the right time. It is a vulnerable and transparent body of work which hides none of my emotions and feelings as a musician and person. It really scares me, but excites me at the same time; something which is all apart of the beauty of music making and growth.”

Kahlil Gibran’s much loved book, The Prophet is the inspiration behind Joseph’s 6th album. This literary classic, philosphically addresses topics such as Love, Pain, Work, Reason and Passion, Children and Friendship through poetry, and Joseph has composed music relating to each topic.

“The book was such an inspiring source and I was so taken by Gibran’s comforting views on life. The compositions seemed to flow naturally to me after reading Gibran’s amazing book.” Asked about his book in 1923, Gibran replied ‘It wrote me’. “I feel exactly the same way about these compositions, ‘they wrote me’ and I’ve learnt so about myself as a musician and human.”

It also comes in a very special package too, with a 32 page full colour hard cover book featuring Gibran’s poems accompanying the CD. This album is a remarkable body of work which showcases a young Australian composer of musical maturity way beyond his years. It places Joseph squarely in the ranks of the world’s greatest Oud players and is destined to become a classic in its own right.

Born in Cairo in 1983, Joseph came to Australia at 2 years of age. By the age of 12 he was a seasoned concert performer, playing alongside his teacher Mohamed Youssef. He was encouraged to explore the musical parameters of the instrument and the traditional Egyptian Taqasim, a performing style based on modal improvisation. Tawadros has since developed a truly unique and distinctive personal style, and his compositional freshness and virtuosity are both evident on THE PROPHET.

Joseph has performed with many celebrated artists such as Richard Tognetti and the Australian Chamber Orchestra, The Song Company, Ivry Gitlis, Camerata Salzburg, Slava Grigoryan, Zakir Hussain, Sultan Khan, Mamadou Diabate, Riley Lee, Katie Noonan, Lior and Neil Finn to name a few.

“One of the most impressive musicians to emerge in Australia…with a dazzling technique dispensing hair raising tempos...his writing displays a real depth of emotion…revelling in a zest for life and celebration” - The Australian

“Tawadros is a master of his instrument, an excellent composer and an inspired improviser, worthy of being a headline act at any world music festival” - Advertiser

“The brilliance of our own Joseph Tawadros has ensured most music lovers are aware of the magic to be generated on that fretless lute, the oud…Intense and evocative with passages of hurtling virtuosity”- Sydney Morning Herald

ATTENTION:
CD LAUNCH - Thursday 8pm, 21st January, 2010 - St. Stephen's Church, 189 Church St, Newtown

Solo Oud: Joseph Tawadros

Poetry Reading: Professor Ahmad Shboul

Tickets: $25 Adult/$20 Concession

Bookings: joe@josephtawadros.com

http://www.birdland.com.au/catalogue/category634/p57351

RADIO BROADCASTS:

Radio Doco: Oud and his Tarab
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/intothemusic/stories/2009/2694394.htm

Joseph Tawadros Quartet live concert (Angel):
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/musicdeli/stories/2009/2730749.htm

http://www.emix.com.au

FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 04:50 PM

wowowow

Thanks Mike:buttrock:

Prophet cd......Order's on its way........:D

Cheers

Philip

BTW Mike, is the cd all solo oud pieces like his storyteller cd?

"Naseem Al Rooh"
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-9-2009 at 05:33 PM

Yes. All solo oud. Excellent!

FLIPAX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-10-2009 at 06:15 AM

Thanks Mike:applause: for the lovely write up Reviews and Links!

Kindest Regards

Philip:buttrock:

"Naseem Al Rooh"
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2009 at 12:12 AM

Just want to second what Mike said about this fantastic CD - can't recommend it highly enough. I guess the best bits for me are the pieces "Self Knowledge", "Pain" and "Work", although it's difficult to choose. The 7-string JT Turunz oud gives a great range too, which is particularly useful for a solo oud recording.

All the best

David

bibo10
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2010 at 01:33 PM

All,
To order this album from the USA, check this http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10376

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT

Go To Top