Mike's Oud Forums

Simon Shaheen

Brian Prunka - 12-30-2006 at 07:32 PM

I thought this article by Simon Shaheen might be of interest:

http://www.ameu.org/printer.asp?iid=269&aid=580

Also, Simon is going to be performing in the middle east in january, if anyone's able to make it. I don't know the details of the performances, but the concerts are between jan 20-29 in Haifa, Ramallah, Bahrain, and Amman. Hopefully if you live in or near one of those places you'll be able to find out details as the concerts approach.

Marina - 12-30-2006 at 11:59 PM

Hi there,
Simon Shaheen will have a concert at 22.1.2007, 20:00 o'clock, in Haifa Auditorium. (120 nis tickets - phone mr. Albert Balan 052 8717471 )

:bounce:

stringmanca - 1-2-2007 at 01:37 PM

Great article - thanks, Brian!

We're looking forward to the concert in Berkeley on February 16th.

Dr. Oud - 1-2-2007 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stringmanca
Great article - thanks, Brian!

We're looking forward to the concert in Berkeley on February 16th.

can you provide some detils, please? Location? contacts?

palestine48 - 1-2-2007 at 08:15 PM

Ya can you please provide some details on the berkely concert, I want to make sure I see it.

John Erlich - 1-2-2007 at 10:25 PM

Hi SF Bay Area Oud Forum Members and Guests,

Here is a link to the Berkeley performance. It's a Qantara performance, not "traditonal" Arabic music.
http://events.berkeley.edu/?event_ID=292&tab=all_events&dat...

I heard Simon perform in Berkeley back in (approx.) 1999 he played solo, with a local Palestinian percussionist (Tony Lammam) and an Israeli-Jewish cellist. It was a benefit for a community center in Arab Lod/Lydda.

I wish Simon performed and recorded more music like he played that night...

All the best,
John

Brian Prunka - 1-3-2007 at 06:52 AM

Simon's been mixing in more traditional music with the Qantara performances lately; he's also got some new compositions.

mavrothis - 1-3-2007 at 11:14 AM

This is a really beautiful article, thanks for sharing Brian.

By the way guys, Brian is too humble to mention that he will be performing with Simon Shaheen and Qantara in the upcoming tour in the Middle East.

Congratulations Brian!

Take care,

mavrothis

oudplayer - 1-3-2007 at 11:39 AM

hey brian

woooooohoooooo:D thast awesome brian why didnt u tell us where is the tour goin. this is nuthin to hide bro u deserve it
thx sammy

stringmanca - 1-3-2007 at 01:57 PM

Thanks, John! You beat me to it!

Nathan

excentrik - 1-3-2007 at 05:05 PM

beautiful article.

tarik

Brian Prunka - 1-5-2007 at 07:07 AM

Thanks Sammy and Mav. I'm excited about traveling there, since I've never been before. And of course it's always amazing to play with Simon (I learn a lot about oud every time).

I have the dates for the performances now:

jan 20 & 22 concerts in Haifa
Jan 23 Workshop in Haifa
Jan 25 concert in Ramallah
Jan 27 concert in Bahrain
Jan 29 concert in Amman, Jordan

The 22nd may be in Nazareth instead, though--i'm not sure.

zalzal - 1-11-2007 at 08:34 AM

The original release with oldies photos is here

http://www.ameu.org/uploads/vol39_issue5_2006.pdf

Beas.One - 1-11-2007 at 08:54 AM

Good job zalzal!

Marina - 1-25-2007 at 01:57 AM

The concert of Shimon Shaheen in Haifa Auditorium vas very good and it lasted more than 3 hours! The place was sold out - 1000 people were there.
I also went to workshop in Haifa and mr. Shaheen showed us some risha exercises and one of the ways to end takasim in Rast .I was very satisfied and I thing that who ever has an oportunity to learn with him should do it. :applause:

samzayed - 1-25-2007 at 10:01 PM

If you liked that Marina, you should come to his retreat in August. It was a bit intense for me at times, but I can't wait to go back. I hope I can this summer

Marina - 1-26-2007 at 05:10 AM

In USA....It's kinda far away.
:shrug:

Simon Shaheen

oudmad - 1-28-2007 at 07:23 PM

Hi Bryan: I recall in one of the forums prior to your going to a Shaheen concert, I had posed the question as to whether Shaheen planned to pay tribute to that great icon of Arabic music, Riyadh Sumbati. Did you remember to raise this with Shaheen? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Prunka
I thought this article by Simon Shaheen might be of interest:

http://www.ameu.org/printer.asp?iid=269&aid=580

Also, Simon is going to be performing in the middle east in january, if anyone's able to make it. I don't know the details of the performances, but the concerts are between jan 20-29 in Haifa, Ramallah, Bahrain, and Amman. Hopefully if you live in or near one of those places you'll be able to find out details as the concerts approach.