Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Microtones in Turkish music?
em.20
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 09:59 AM
Microtones in Turkish music?

Hello,

I am the child of Turkish migrants living in Germany. I listen to a lot of Turkish music, whether pop, folk or classical Turkish music.

My ears got used to European music or let's say pop music. But I've noticed one thing, especially in classical Turkish music. That music sounds quite familiar to my ears concerning the tonal system allthough of course Turkish music has a very different character and style compared to European music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU0Uvy9g8Kk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-sd3GCvyk&feature=related

For example if I listen to Yurdal Tokcan I cannot make up any microtones. Whereas if I listen to Arabic oud taksim I can clearly hear the microtones, because it sounds a quite strange to my ears.

Can someone explain why?
Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 10:48 AM

Hi,

it may be because Turkish microtones are 'milder' than their Arabic counterparts.

For instance, the segah degree, which is an essential feature of many important makams (Rast,....) is, in Turkish music, only slightly below B natural, usually by one comma (=1/9th of a tone).

In contrast, the Arabic analogue (sikah) is, depending on context, between 2 and 3 commas below E natural.

To my European ears also, microtones are less prominent in Turkish than in Arabic music.

Dan
em.20
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 03:40 AM

Yes, that could be the explaining. What is exactly the segah degree? Is it a tone interval just like a Minor third or an octave?

So that means in the "worst case" Turkish makam differs only 1/9th of a tone from a European tone scale?
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 04:09 AM

I think there is something else at work also and that is the flow and timing and fluidity of 'Turkish' music so the context of the microtones is somewhat more fluid. There is also phrasing and 'ornament' which often puts the microtonal spectrum into a very different soundscape - think of the carpma in all its expression, and the sliding and the whispered notes.

... I have to choose my words carefully here as they are meant to be descriptive rather than judgemental - I love all the styles and I am just trying to make an observation.

Actually I have found that the opposite is true and that to a lot of European ears that I know, Turkish music is quite difficult to listen to in comparison to some Arabic music partly because there is not quite the same recognisable equivalent for them in European music in Turkish style as there is with say Flamenco and North Africa (Rebetika for example seems to be generally less familiar here in the UK).

:)

Leon

Go To Top