Mike's Oud Forums

Custom made Rishas for sale

bulerias1981 - 10-24-2010 at 05:42 PM

Hello all,

I am selling some custom made cow horn rishas. I have one tortoise shell which you can see 6th from the left on the top row. The rows from the left on top are named accordingly..
Jumbo, Standard medium, Tapered, Slim small,
(Bottom left)
Standard small, Medium.

Different rishas work well with different ouds. For example, on the far right at the top "Slim small" rishas are amazing on ouds tuned low or have darker tones. People with large hands tend to enjoy the Jumbo sized rishas, and they work very well with rishas having very bright or powerful tone, such as floating Iraqi ouds.

You can choose a specific risha you see here, or I can make a custom one for you, with custom dimensions (lengths, widths and/or thicknesses)

*Thickness* Measurements vary from risha to risha. But I can tell you that a good average thickness is .70mm. Some can be .55mm, some .60mm, .65mm. And I have even had a request to make one at .93mm, which is very thick.

Please note each risha has its own price based on the quality of the risha itself. These are of cow horn, and I discard blanks in which crack easily.

If you want other services performed on the rishas, such as silk smooth polishing, or even a coat of polyurethane, I can also do this at an extra charge. Please PM me for details. Thank you!

I've made rishas in the past for many individuals, including my teacher in Lebanon, Charbel Rouhana, and Najib Shaheen in NY. With the diversity of rishas I keep on hand, I'm sure we can find the right one(s) for you.

If you are in NY you may visit me at my home or in NYC if you'd like to try them out, or I can ship them to you via mail for free (if you live in US. Outside of US pays for shipping) I accept payments via paypal.

David.B - 10-25-2010 at 08:14 AM

I already saw these risha-s somewhere ;)

I'm intersting by the one in turtle shell!

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
These are of cow horn, and I discard blanks in which crack easily.

Yes this is really important to me because I'm always riped off via the Internet... But would you like to incorporate a centimeter in the photo?

Best regards,

David Brocard

bulerias1981 - 10-25-2010 at 08:41 AM

I didn't take a photo yet with a ruler, but this is rough idea about the size (the penny as a reference)

A lot of these risha I have sold already, so only use this as a reference.

Franck - 10-25-2010 at 10:48 AM

how much for the tortoise risha incliding shipping to Montréal, Québec (Canada)?

freya - 10-25-2010 at 01:06 PM

Gentlemen,

Buying anything made of "tortoise shell" can be quite complicated. You will find multiple references to this with a quick online search. For example: http://pickcollecting.presspublisher.us/issue/summer-2010/article/t...

bibo10 - 10-25-2010 at 01:47 PM

where do u live in the city?

bulerias1981 - 10-25-2010 at 03:41 PM

I don't live in the city. I live one hour north of NYC, in Beacon, NY. However every wednesday I come down for New York Arabic Orchestra rehersal from 6:30-9:30 on the upper west side.

bibo10 - 10-27-2010 at 07:38 PM

o wow awesome. please send me your phone number in a u2u. i work in staten island, mabye i can come by next wed or the wed after
p.s can i attend the rehersal???

SamirCanada - 10-28-2010 at 03:44 AM

Hey there,
I would love to have one of your medium sized risha.

I am in Ottawa Canada. Can you drop me a mail with the paypal info and the prices.

Thanks Samir.

chaldo - 10-28-2010 at 08:34 PM

I just got mines, they are amazing. And they are just perfect, just like I asked. I cant stop playinnnnnn.

thanks for posting it here on the forums.

chaldo

levonakis - 10-30-2010 at 07:19 PM

Hi,

I live in Toronto, Canada and am interested to purchase a variety of sizes and thicknesses.
Can you drop me a line with prices?
Thanks

jack - 10-31-2010 at 05:19 PM

Likewise, I'm interested in your rishas.
Please U2U me with prices and what is available.

Multi Kulti - 10-31-2010 at 06:14 PM

I got mine too ! Im impressed first of all how quick i received the rishas and of course with the quality of them..im very satisfied :) highly recommended..

Thanks John one more time

Nikos Rondelis

hand made risha

davidc - 11-2-2010 at 10:59 AM

Hi I'm in the UK and it seems almost impossible to get decent risha here. How much are yours and can you send to the UK? You can email me on davidchatterley@btinternet.com thanks david

Mehran - 11-2-2010 at 11:11 AM

I ask the same question as Davidc! My email is m_nasralla@ntlworld.com

bulerias1981 - 11-2-2010 at 09:15 PM

This is my latest stock. A few of them might be accounted for. If you are interested in a particular one, please tell me the number counting from the left. Email me at bulerias81@gmail.com and refrain from U2U, my box gets full fast and its hard to get things done.
Prices vary based on the quality of the material itself. They range from $8, $10, $12, to $15 or $17 for the best with polishing.
Customizing available.
Thank you very much!

Jonathan - 11-9-2010 at 07:50 PM

Just got them! Absolutely fantastic!!!!

bulerias1981 - 11-10-2010 at 09:57 PM

Thanks to all who have purchased my rishas and made nice feedback here on the forum.
My work continues, I received a bunch of blanks and have recently completed them. Here they are..

Please reply to me at bulerias81@gmail.com if interested. Thanks.

SamirCanada - 11-11-2010 at 05:31 AM

I just got mine yesterday.

they are fabulous! I cant believe I have been playing with anything else my whole life.

David.B - 11-12-2010 at 04:00 AM

John, here it is my feeling about your risha-s, I use a Sukar oud (mod.8) with Daniel Mari strings.

1-> The best one, perfect overall sizes, perfect flexibility, perfect timbre, just one unusual thing for me: The friction on wound strings which is really noisy, but it can be seen as a plus like the noise made by fingers on wound strings...

2-> This one is a bit small and too flexible for me, it hits the pickguard and I'm not so found of that.

3-> Thanks for the bonus! Maybe I don't know how to handle it because it's really difficult to keep it in my hand while I'm playing.

74263_1609961059772_1558601928_1429312_4420071_n.jpg - 28kB

David.B - 11-12-2010 at 04:02 AM

John, thanks for this new one! The shape on the right is really interesting to mitigate attacks, it gives a more uniform playing.
PS. you've found a way to memorize risha-s recipients ;)

For readers of Mike's oud -> John has mixed up the Risha-s and sent me a free equivalent model shortly after, really pro:bowdown:
75393_1627238931708_1558601928_1461009_7342981_n.jpg - 11kB

David.B - 11-12-2010 at 04:10 AM

I can see many different shapes on the latest, this is really interesting to try them and I encourage people to do so.

bulerias1981 - 11-23-2010 at 06:24 PM

Saz and buzuq style picks also available!

spartan - 11-24-2010 at 01:37 AM

I ordered 4 rishas for my oud recently. Rishas arrived from USA to Greece within 6 days only!

Good quality

the only problem is that since I live on another continent I cannot choose and play rishas before I buy them

But If you tell your specific preferences and your style of playing John can choose wisely !

reminore - 11-25-2010 at 05:54 AM

i also purchased two rishas last month- a very pliable thin one for playing the tambura (similar to saz) and one for the ud - nice feel - i hope to be able to stop by and select others personally...thx again!

Mehran - 12-2-2010 at 01:12 PM

Fantastic rishas. I ordered two which arrived within a week to the UK.

Excellent quality and performance.

Sazi - 12-15-2010 at 06:50 PM

At the rate I wear out the horn rishas I really need to learn how to make them myself, could anyone please help out with how to make a horn risha from scratch? Ronny was going to post a how to article but that was last year sometime and it hasn't happened yet. Any help appreciated, there's no way I can afford ready made horn rishas.

Also I read somewhere that Buffalo horn is preferable to cow, maybe it lasts longer or something, does anyone know about this?

bulerias1981 - 12-22-2010 at 11:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sazi  
At the rate I wear out the horn rishas I really need to learn how to make them myself, could anyone please help out with how to make a horn risha from scratch? Ronny was going to post a how to article but that was last year sometime and it hasn't happened yet. Any help appreciated, there's no way I can afford ready made horn rishas.

Also I read somewhere that Buffalo horn is preferable to cow, maybe it lasts longer or something, does anyone know about this?

Sazi,

I use a small block plane to remove bulky material from the sides and to also make the rishi straight if its too curved. Then I use steel cabinet scrapers to do the thicknessing of the rishas.
Then I have a method to polish the rishis using the finest steel wool. I also bevel the edges of the rishi to make it comfortable on the hand. When thats all done, I soak my rishis in Lebanese first cold press extra virgin olive oil for at least 3 days!!

Sazi - 12-22-2010 at 11:39 PM

Thanks, should I soak them in oil occasionally, or just give them a wipe now and again?

Do you have any thoughts on the difference between cow and buffalo (if you've tried both, that is)

rishas

morereverb - 12-23-2010 at 04:50 PM

ditto what has been said about these rishas, i ordered several,
they came immediately and are excellent. highly recommended.

bulerias1981 - 12-24-2010 at 12:13 AM

Its always good to soak them in olive oil. Dont get crazy about it. But it doesnt hurt. I haven't tried buffalo horn yet. But I hear its good. I have tried gazelle horn in Lebanon. It belonged to Mustafa Said.

Sazi - 12-24-2010 at 04:25 AM

Wow, that gazelle horn risha must have been nice to use?, I haven't tried it but I've heard that its very good.

bulerias1981 - 12-26-2010 at 08:18 PM

Yes, the gazelle was very nice indeed.

Any more rishas?

giannak - 1-11-2011 at 06:11 AM

Hello bulerias81 and happy new year! Are there any more rishas so I can place an order? Thanks in advance,

--
John.

bulerias1981 - 1-14-2011 at 08:29 AM

yes, there are more rishis. Just e-mail me. bulerias81@gmail.com Thanks!

Great rishas

Abusaid - 1-19-2011 at 11:43 AM

I have ordered some rishas and they are really good, great performance.
The best rishas in the market! (in my opinion)
:airguitar:
Abusaid

Marcus - 1-31-2011 at 01:57 AM

Hello all:wavey:

I got my 2 rishas last friday, so the whole weekend was playing,playing,playing.........and wonder- with open mouth -how big the difference in sound and playability can be just by using another risha.

Amazing sound from very smooth to very hard picking!! Excellent!!

Thanx John for your superb work!!:applause::bowdown::bowdown:

Terry Sleeper - 2-1-2011 at 03:14 PM

Hello from the UK.

New oud owner.

Having used only a cheap plastic risha (length - 13.5 cm. / 5.5 in.), I need to try some decent rishas. Probably same size, certainly not bigger. Not a clue baout thickness! The curved ones (with indentation for the first finger) look particularly interesting.

For use on an oud with a floating-bridge.

Please e-mail te.sleeper@tiscali.co.uk with prices / shipping to UK. Can pay by PayPal if OK.

bulerias1981 - 3-14-2011 at 09:40 AM

New batch of rishis in, I'll be busy in the next few days refining these. Anyone interested, e-mail me at bulerias81@gmail.com

bulerias1981 - 5-16-2011 at 01:11 PM

Hi all. All new stock in. Spent most of the day yesterday making this large bunch. Order them soon cause they go fast. I have a nice amount of stubby ones on the bottom right. Usually I dont use these for concerts myself, but I keep one in my wallet for when I lose mine or when I dont have my oud, and a few times it came in handy. I also have a few really long ones 150mm + as some people prefer this. And I have everything in between. Dont forget I also make saz/baglama/buzuq picks as well.

**Penny, cheap rosette and luthier tools sold seperately**

MatthewW - 5-20-2011 at 03:06 AM

Got my risha today, was just the size and shape I asked for. :)
thanks John!

bibo10 - 5-21-2011 at 08:42 AM

dude the rosette in the back looks very nice

MatthewW - 6-12-2011 at 01:23 AM

I was enjoying using the horn risha I recently received from John (see post above), the tone and feel they have is very different from plastic rishas, and though there are some nice plastic ones available, I think it's useful to have both at hand.
So I went to play my oud not far from my home, and decided to walk there. I put the horn risha that was my new favorite in my back pocket, something I never do; I usually put the risha in the pocket of my Jameel gig-bag case. Well upon arriving at my destination I went into my back pocket and lo and behold the risha was not there, it must have somehow fallen out! I nearly cried. :(
I went ahead and ordered another horn risha from John, which I just received, and it's very nice.
If you're looking for a well made horn risha, made to your specs, then John's the man.:) regards, MW

bulerias1981 - 7-6-2011 at 09:57 AM

MatthewW and I were discussing rishi tip profiles. People have different preferences. Please see diagram. Note: I can provide players with any profile they'd like.

Here is a link to the discussion, please join in and share some feedback you may have about your experience.
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=12081

bulerias1981 - 8-28-2011 at 04:05 PM

Hi all. After returning from the Arabic Music Retreat and selling nearly 70 rishis, I finally got around to make some more yesterday. Devoted nearly the entire day. Here is some new stock. Please e-mail me at bulerias81@gmail.com if you want to place an order. Thanks!

fernandraynaud - 8-28-2011 at 06:05 PM

Not to detract from the beauties here, for the budget-tied, the horn blanks from MidEast Manufacturing that a lot of US on-line shops sell at about $10 for 6 are maybe a little thin at 0.030", but very usable. They are soaked in oil and just need to be shaped. Now here comes something like the antithesis of the most elegant risha, my favorite:

RishaHornDelrin1.jpg - 48kB

Backed with a delrin blank, it's fat in the hand. I'll have to make a prettier one with shrink-tubing instead of the pathetic electrical tape, but this one plays very nicely.

Thicker pieces of horn for knife handles are called "horn scales" on e-bay. There are tons of different varieties.

bulerias1981 - 8-28-2011 at 06:38 PM

I prefer cutting the horn myself. Its cheaper for me, and I can choose which part of the horn to use and what not to use. A lot of the horn cannot be used as the material is prone to breaking in certain places. So I discard those pieces. I also soak my rishis in oil once its been shaped and thicknessed.

People don't usually have the tools necessary to turn out a good rishi. I try to provide the highest quality rishis for people. Most folks wouldn't want to have a delrin piece taped to their rishi (I personally wouldn't) I'm not insulting your rishi, I know we get attached to our rishi :)
But there is nothing like a very finely made rishi with the right balance and characteristics to enhance the tone and their own playing potential.

fernandraynaud - 8-28-2011 at 07:16 PM

No question, Bulerias, and the prices you charge are very fair. I was just answering the question as to where blanks could be found inexpensively.

My oddball risha for some reason works very well for me, there's something about the extra thickness in the hand.

How thick are your thickest ones?

bulerias1981 - 8-28-2011 at 07:26 PM

One thing I learned is that everyone has their own preference. Blanks can indeed be found inexpensively. It just takes at minimum, a decent file (emery board) to do the rough shaping. Also take care and wear a dust mask, you don't want to inhale horn particles into your system.

My thickest rishis can be whatever the customer wants. I haven't done anything thicker than 1.2mm. The people that use these tend to hold the rishi very very short.

fernandraynaud - 8-29-2011 at 12:16 PM

As you say, we get attached to our rishi. Here's a (slightly) prettier version of the same concept. The horn (about 0.032", 0.8 mm) is sandwiched between two delrin blanks. I'm just looking for a way to have a slightly thicker grip, but retain a flexible risha. If the horn was that thick, it would be quite rigid. But probably we can all agree, there's nothing like horn. My lovely taped wonder has delrin at one end (for quiet practice) and horn at the other for real playing. Maybe horn in a thin leather "sandwich" would work.

RishaHornDelrin2.jpg - 122kB

These (on e-bay) look thicker, I wonder how flexible they are:

RishiAr.JPG - 14kB

dkhoury35 - 8-30-2011 at 06:49 PM

dont know still waiting for mine i ordered one from bubbitrade or as we know them arabinstruments ill tell you all when it arrives. :shrug:
If it arrives

bulerias1981 - 8-30-2011 at 07:43 PM

Arabinstruments contacted me a few months ago asking me the price of my rishis. Then a couple months later, they're selling medium grade rishis from Egypt (not refined) for the same exact price that I told them I sell mine for.

dkhoury35 - 8-30-2011 at 08:26 PM

Thats not very nice i would love to have one of urs i hear only good of them

bulerias1981 - 8-31-2011 at 09:32 AM

Thanks dkhoury, I just sent an e-mail to you. My U2U is full.

fernandraynaud - 8-31-2011 at 11:30 AM

Dkhoury, I'm curious now if what you get matches their lovely photo.

dkhoury35 - 8-31-2011 at 11:06 PM

if i ever get it

dkhoury35 - 9-5-2011 at 05:44 AM

still waiting for my risha from them !!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I should have bought it from bulerias1981

fernandraynaud - 9-5-2011 at 09:34 AM

Dkhoury, when did you order your risha from Arab instruments? It's relevant to know how it goes.

I for one don't see what is unethical about asking a competitor about pricing. It's not a trade secret, it's public information. They have done nothing unusual or wrong.

But it's not unethical for members of this forum to discuss trade practices, either. It doesn't hurt to repeat this now and then for new members: Carefully check exact return shipping costs before you buy something with return privileges from anyone. Hint: the country and the dimensions matter.

So, let's follow the risha saga. How long has it been?

dkhoury35 - 9-5-2011 at 11:57 PM

hi i received the risha today and whata waste of money they are way too thick they are about 2mm in thickness.

fernandraynaud - 9-6-2011 at 04:58 PM

Oh, but I think that's great, I wouldn't mind one like that. You can file it down at the tip and still have a good grip on the body. Hopefully it will be flexible enough. It's all a matter of how you like it. I tend to have to build mine up, which is more hassle than having too much to begin with and filing it down. How long is it? How is it finished, how flexible, how wide, etc? Can you post a close-up photo?

dkhoury35 - 9-6-2011 at 09:27 PM

not flexible at all and the look is great and it is 1 cm wide 12 cm long but if im paying $20 dollars for a risha including shipping i dont want to have to sand and file it so im able to use it

bulerias1981 - 9-7-2011 at 09:19 AM

Well, maybe I didn't really explain what happened in detail. But they pretended to be interested in buying my rishis. Then I find out, they were just looking to understand what to sell the rishis for. If I said $5, sure enough their website would say $5. But the difference is, I am a luthier, I have special tools and skills. I cut the rishis from horn myself, and refine them. I make rishis various shapes and sizes according to my customers request. If they want a thinner one, that option is available. I even ask for measurements. So my price is based on the custom nature of my product. Theirs is based off of my price, but is not custom. Their product is likely made in Egypt and sent to them already made. dkhoury received a rishi he wasn't happy with. I ask all my customers what kind of rishi they like. Because there isn't a rishi that works for every oud and every player. If they have no preference, I ask them what kind of oud they have, and send them something that works for them. If they dont like it, they can send it back, and trade for another, or get their money back. But that hasn't happened yet.

dkhoury, I'm sure there is actually nothing wrong with your rishi. It can be thinned out. And some people really like thicker rishis. Simon Shaheen for example uses thick rishis like that. And hes one of the best players in my opinion. I personally use 1.6mm thick risha, on a traditional style Arabic ouds.. with Labella basses and D'Addario plain nylons. It seems to be a good combination.

rishi

doroq - 9-8-2011 at 08:20 AM

I recently received 2 rishi, and am very happy indeed. The transaction was smooth and expeditious, and the workmanship is of high quality> highly recommended!

mercm525i - 9-13-2011 at 09:52 AM

Just received my rishi yesterday, very satisfied and perfect length and thickness. Transaction was smooth and quick shipping.

schwarzwald - 9-19-2011 at 07:14 AM

I just got my rishi a few days ago. I'm used to playing with a really thick plastic one so switching a to a thinner horn rishi makes a huge difference. I like the tone that the horn rishi creates. The prices are extraordinarily good and delivery is fast.

alejofar - 9-23-2011 at 01:37 PM

Just got my risha this week. Very high quality, well shaped and smooth cow horn risha. For those of you that have never tried cow horn rishi, they are definitely worth the cost and are far superior to plastic in my opinion. However, they must be shaped properly and the quality of cow horn will vary greatly if you just order them from any other place. The risha I ordered from Bulerias1981 is very high quality and worth the money. Thanks!

charlie oud - 10-20-2011 at 10:45 AM

Have now in my posession a number of rishi from John (bulerias1981), ALL are excellent. I tend to prefer the thinner style, very flexible, and John has done well to provide me with these based on my descriptions and requests. Now when I use plastic or other materials as risha I find there is something missing from my sound sincce I started using thes handmade horn rishi. It's like they bring out a clarity which other materials do not. I can see why they are popular and well liked and like many others, I strongly recommend them. Excellent service, very quick, courteous and clearly aims to please. Thanks John.

bulerias1981 - 10-31-2011 at 04:08 PM

Hi all. New batch made today.

While other sites are charging $20 for "superior quality" cow horn rishas, (I won't mention any names here)
I still charge $15 for my best, and less for smaller rishas. I also customize the shape of customer's rishas for that price. My customers also enjoy the cheapest shipping rate at $1 dollar for U.S., and $2 to most international shipments.

With 100% positive feedback as you can see from this thread from beginner to established members, you can trust to get a risha that works for you.

All my rishas are handmade and cut from horn and refined myself. Its a messy, smelly process, with some specialty tools involved making the job easier. My service works great for those who haven't any interest in making them themselves.

E-mail me at bulerias81@gmail.com to place an order via paypal.

Brian Prunka - 10-31-2011 at 04:33 PM

Buy John's rishas! I rarely use anything else since I got mine from him. Very good work, I'll be getting more when these eventually wear out.

hamed - 10-31-2011 at 05:37 PM

Hey Brian,
it's my understanding from previous posts that you have studied with Simon Shaheen, does he use horn rishas?
Thanks

bulerias1981 - 10-31-2011 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  

dkhoury, I'm sure there is actually nothing wrong with your rishi. It can be thinned out. And some people really like thicker rishis. Simon Shaheen for example uses thick rishis like that. And hes one of the best players in my opinion. I personally use 1.6mm thick risha, on a traditional style Arabic ouds.. with Labella basses and D'Addario plain nylons. It seems to be a good combination.

Simon uses a thick rishi, 1.mm or more. Keeps a very tight right hand, very little movement most of the time.

David.B - 11-1-2011 at 02:02 AM

Great! I'm OK for a couple of the longest ones, I'm going to buy a caliper tomorrow and contact you by e-mail :wavey:

Jody Stecher - 11-5-2011 at 07:32 PM

John ( "Bulerias" ) sent me two made to my requested specs last week and they're just what I wanted. Both sound and feel are excellent. And you can't beat the shipping cost. Next I have to try the longer ones.

David.B - 11-12-2011 at 06:48 AM

The surface is perfectly smooth and flawless.

145.96 mm length. Long enough for a good grip and to compensate for wear.

The width is irregular, thinner on the white part. I guess it's a manufacturing defect, but it is hand made with natural material ...
I think the width is a compromise between the way you hold the risha (very prone, or not) and the space you need between the risha and the string below. To me, 10.34 mm is width enough for a gook grip, and short enough to take advantage of the string below.

Square edge side. I play until knife like edge, then I file it until square edge.

Bullet shaped tip.To me, it gives different attacks and more nuances.

0.71 mm thick, this is the part I like (black part). Nervous way of playing, but not too much, just enough flexibility. Lot of response, with little effort.

0.66 mm thick. Smooth way of playing. This gives a kind of nonchalance, difficult to control when the pace is accelerating. The risha noisily hits the pickguard.

These are my feelings, with my way of playing. It might be different than yours, with the same risha. But this can give an idea of ​​the correlation between sensations and dimensions.

Thanks John, good job!

11/19/11 Edit -> About the irregular width: I'm not sure, but I think the white tip of the Risha was shaped like a bottleneck in order to make it more flexible.

DSCN0050.jpg - 93kB DSCN0053.jpg - 93kB DSCN0055.jpg - 100kB

DSCN0054.jpg - 101kB

BaniYazid - 12-2-2011 at 09:29 AM

Hi Bulerias,

What do have in stock ? want tow of your rishas. I've made 4 rishas for myself, with the same horn block, but still not satisfied by the result. So I want to find out your secrets (chuuuut :cool: )
minimum length : 130 mm
minimum width : 12 mm
For the thickness it's hard to decide, I guess that each horn block (do you work with blocks or an entire horn, not compressed ?) have its density.... I consider my playing (if i can say that) as smooth, I rarely hurt the soundboard with my risha. I'll decide when I'll send you the order form by mail, just tell if you have material in the length and width I desire.
Thanks

BaniYazid - 12-15-2011 at 12:54 PM

Thank you John, got it, good work.

bulerias1981 - 12-16-2011 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BaniYazid  
Thank you John, got it, good work.

Good, glad you like it. Thank you.

mavrothis - 1-21-2012 at 08:36 PM

Hi,

I just received two rishis that John made for me. They are very nicely done, arrived very fast and shaped to my specifications.

As it turns out, my picking style is really more in tune with the heavier, plastic picks I make for myself, but I will still use these horn picks for a brighter tone. Especially on an older instrument for a more traditional sound.

Thanks again!

Mavrothi

luan - 1-25-2012 at 09:23 PM

I would like to buy 2 o 3 rishas, maybe 2 of 0.70 and one 0.60. Would you pm me the price please? I'm in argentina.
Thanks a lot man for doing nice rishas!

bulerias1981 - 2-2-2012 at 09:39 AM

Sure Luan. Please e-mail me bulerias81@gmail.com

Christian1095 - 9-24-2013 at 01:49 PM

Just got one of John's rishas today... I'm really impressed.... I could tell an IMMEDIATE difference in my playing... At first glance, it seems fairly expensive to pay $20 for a risha... but the more I thought about it, I have thousands invested in my Ouds... so why go cheap on the risha? Also, for only $20, it was worth a try to see if I could tell a difference.... I've ordered some blanks in the past off of ebay.. and this is soooo much better... For the price, I think it's worth it. Enough so that I just ordered another.

Also, I don't know how to describe it, but the attack seems better with this than any plastic risha I've tried (pyramid and the weird rubber ones) Less slappy if that makes sense... sorry I'm not really sure how to describe it.... and it sounds louder... The wife said she could tell a difference too an that it sounded "nicer"

PaulS - 2-20-2014 at 07:54 PM

I am just a beginner but even I can tell how wonderful these rishas of John are! They really give a strong sound and they feel very natural.