Mike's Oud Forums

2nd of 2 new instruments - Electric hollow body oud

mavrothis - 11-13-2010 at 06:31 AM

And this is a new experimental electric oud from my friend Andrew Bradshaw, who makes really gorgeous acoustic and electric guitars.

I was telling him how an acoustic oud often can't handle higher volume situations without feeding back, while a solid body electric often doesn't sound or react enough like an acoustic instrument.

He suggested we try a hollow body acoustic with no soundhole and see how it turns out. Even without the soundhole, the oud has very decent volume, especially for practicing alone, and plugged in sounds just like an amplified acoustic oud, but with more feedback tolerance. Right now I have simple K&K pickups installed, but down the road I may experiment with higher end pickups.

I know many of you won't like the guitar headstock on this oud, but it is truly a work of art, and for future electrics can be replaced with the traditional pegbox and peghed pegs.

2 back plate.jpeg - 232kB 4 top with sound hole.jpeg - 105kB 5 bracing.jpg - 111kB 6 body and face glued.jpg - 317kB 7 headstock.jpg - 116kB 14 Back with finish.jpeg - 131kB 15 Front with finish.jpeg - 143kB

Sazi - 11-13-2010 at 06:14 PM

Looks like a good idea, which K&K pick-up model are you using? Pre-amp?

Can we hear it?

mavrothis - 11-14-2010 at 06:02 AM

Right now all I have is the K&K twin spot internal. The best sounding preamp I have is a presonus model, which combines tube and solid state sound.

The pickup I want, but is out of my price range right now is this one:http://tranceaudio.com/

I can't afford it right now, but a friend of mine has it in his guitar and it really is a great pickup.

I've plugged in the electric oud directly into an amp, and it sounds nice. It basically acts like an acoustic oud, but doesn't feedback as easily.

What I never liked about the solid body electrics is not just the sound of the pickups, but also that the notes did not decay fast enough, like on an acoustic. They run into each other, which is fine if you are not really going for a typical oud sound (I might even try for a steel string electric some day with humbucker pickups or something), but for simple amplified oud sound, it didn't work for me.

I highly recommend my friend Andrew's work. His treatment of the woods is just gorgeous, and I need to upload more pictures for you to see the detail better - the headstock in the photo above is still unfinished.

Also, if you notice the bridge has a saddle, but not huge like on a classical. It works very well, and is great for better control of the action.

mavrothis - 11-14-2010 at 06:13 AM

Some more pics from construction and also completed. I really love this oud!

1-first-pieces.gif - 324kB 3-gluing-sides.gif - 327kB 8-coming-along!.gif - 259kB 9-oud-butt-end.gif - 239kB 10-front-assembled.gif - 276kB 11-back-assembled.gif - 264kB 13-Closeup-of-finish.gif - 348kB IMG_4255.gif - 295kB IMG_4256.gif - 273kB IMG_4257.gif - 326kB

spyros mesogeia - 11-15-2010 at 08:20 AM

congratulations mavroudi,
great purchase bro.
I wish you to be Kaloriziko and kalopaixto file mou

adamgood - 11-15-2010 at 02:12 PM

Dude super cool, super practical, I can't wait to try it :)

Curious how the tuning machines work. more pix and vids?

I'm still in Istanbul, my last night here. Today I got to play an ud from Mustafa...some new experiment with a different placement of the brace near the bridge. It was L-O-U-D er than usual, he's on to something.

Adam

paulO - 11-16-2010 at 08:31 AM

Very trippy lookin axe Mav. How's the weight distribution, is it comfy to hold ? Beautifully made, obivously -- looking forward to a sound sample, since I'm always looking for an electric oud that actually sounds like an oud. Enjoy.

Regards..Paul

mavrothis - 11-16-2010 at 07:56 PM

Hey thanks guys, I'll try and get a sound sample up for you soon. I was plugging it into my little crate amp last night and it is just sounding great - very acoustic, very nice, but I could have the amp turned all the way up with the oud in front of it without feedback. Probably if I had the preamp hooked up that wouldn't be the case, but I thought it was pretty cool.

The tuning machines work great, I got top of the line Schertler machines. Man, it tunes so easily! Really smooth.

That new Mustafa oud design sounds interesting. Is the top really thin?

The electric oud body is practically weightless - the weight is really all in the headstock. Still, it is all in all probably a little less than 3 lbs - it's light! My friend Andrew did just a gorgeous job, I'm really impressed, and it was really nice being a part of the building process, and helping get it set up the day I took it home.

Whether I'm standing or sitting, I use the guitar strap so the weight distribution is perfect, and still wouldn't be that bad without it. I just need the strap either way b/c this body is much thinner than a regular oud, so the strap takes away any awkwardness I have with my posture.

Like I said previously, if for any reason you don't go for the guitar style head stock, you can go for a traditional pegbox - I recommend pegheds if you do that.

I'll try and get some sound up for you before too long. Here are a few more pics from the night I picked it up 'from the shop.'

Thanks guys!

mav playing bradshaw electric oud.jpg - 48kB

in-the-hands-of-the-maker.gif - 194kB

Ararat66 - 11-17-2010 at 01:00 AM

Hi Mav

Do you work for/as a sculptor or have you just sold all your furniture to acquire more instruments :) GAS can be a serious affliction.

That's a great looking oud I'd be interested in hearing it's plugged-in sound - how 'oudy' is it plugged in? if that makes sense.

Cheers

Leon

mavrothis - 11-18-2010 at 06:06 PM

Here's a vid - not a great performance, but you can hear how nice the oud sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG7Kgshok3Y

adamgood - 11-19-2010 at 12:08 AM

Mav is that acoustic?? It has some sound! Very very nice wow I'm impressed.

If you used a combination of plugged in plus your current microphone system you should be able to get a really nice amplified sound ja??

really really wanna try :) next year...

adam

mavrothis - 11-19-2010 at 02:33 AM

Hey Adam,

This oud does have pretty good acoustic volume unplugged - in this vid I'm plugged into an amp, just not turned up very much.

Definitely though, if I combine the internal pickup and my DPA mic, it will be great - it's also a great sound just with the pickup.

Very excited about this instrument.

Ararat66 - 11-19-2010 at 05:32 AM

Hi Mav

That sounds very good, more 'oudy' than I expected. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds when, as you say it is amplified further. I think the oud has such a distinct acoustic that this semi-acoustic approach may well be the answer to retaining some of the subtleties that can be lost in other 'electric' ouds I've heard.

I know you are only noodling but lovely playing regardless ... it is never complete noodling, the instrument and music will always take over in the end :)

Leon

spyros mesogeia - 11-19-2010 at 05:39 AM

:applause::airguitar:

Microber - 12-21-2010 at 02:09 PM

Incredible sound.
It's really the best electric oud I ever heard !
:applause:

Sazi - 12-21-2010 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Microber  
Incredible sound.
It's really the best electric oud I ever heard !
:applause:

Definitely! Good compromise, far more 'oudy' than any other electric I've heard.

Congratulations Mav.

Andrew, I think you've got a winner there.:bowdown:

norumba - 4-8-2011 at 03:39 PM

very cool! i might have to talk to him about getting one!

MatthewW - 4-16-2011 at 12:37 PM

Hi Mav-
do you have an email address or website contact for Andrew Bradshaw? thanks, MW

mavrothis - 4-16-2011 at 04:12 PM

Hi Matthew,

Andrew Bradshaw's email address is: abradshawa@hotmail.com

I'm sure he'll be happy to talk with you and see what you are in the market for.

Take care,

Mavrothi