Mike's Oud Forums

OUD building project (cocobolo / macassar)

sabbassi - 10-12-2011 at 09:25 AM

For this project I would like to share with you guys more details from the start how to build an Arabic oud, following the general rules. by saying general rules, also meaning: rules are made to be broken, so there will be also some non standard things or unkown ways of doing things.
I will also discuss wood, tools, sound as much as I can with pictures if possible.
Making some writing mistakes is natural as english is not my mother language.

Ps: at the same time of the cocobolo build I will build a Macasar ebony oud.

Any way let start right away and cut some ribs, !

sabbassi - 10-12-2011 at 09:38 AM

I will use Cocobolo for this one (for the first time builder, go for mahogany or beech, although some beech kind of wood is not very stable)

I'm using a bosch table saw with a very thin carbide kerf blade (1,7mm) to save some wood/mone(this are expensive but save more money at the end and last longer), especialy if it is cocobolo, macassar or any exotic expensive wood.

When I buy a big piece of wood like cocobolo, I cut the whole lumber in pieces and let it dry for couple of mounts, after tha, I plan the pieces before starting sawing the ribs out. this pieces are about 3,5cm wide (width of the rib) and 70cm long.
depending of the lumber, some pieces can give from 8 to 15 ribs.

In this pictures, this particular piece of cocobolo gave me 9 nice ribs.
before cuting the ribs to final thikness, I usualy do some trial with regular wood before using the expensive one.

the final thikness is 2,8 mm.

table saw.jpg - 85kB

for safety reason, always use dust mask, eye and ear protection.
I always, always use push sticks and (also side stick) , my fingers are more worth than any oud on this planet :)
table saw 2.jpg - 119kB

final Ribs

sabbassi - 10-12-2011 at 09:53 AM

the final ribs are equal in thikness and almost ready for use.
70cm it too long, I will shorten them by 2,5 cm. the usual lenght for a standard oud (not big and not small) is about 67,5 cm depending on the shape and the curve of the oud of course.
we will go more in details to that later.

rib1.jpg - 86kB rib2.jpg - 85kB

neck and tail blocks

sabbassi - 10-12-2011 at 10:09 AM

before bending the ribs, I would first build the ground where the ribs will be built on. neck and tail blocks

for the neck, first grade mahogany is a must. it is a very stable wood.
the tail block is made from spruce, about 6mm thick

neck1.jpg - 79kB neck2.jpg - 63kB neck3.jpg - 67kB neck4.jpg - 77kB

the tools used also illustraed in the pictures. Hand saw, stanly Planerfile, stanley planner for the final adjustement

the final neck should be symetric, bit round and smooth. some testing with an already made rib show that the ribs fall perfect to the shape of the neck.
the measurement are 5cm at the neck joint. 4,5cm thikness of the block. 14 cm high and wide.

final neck.jpg - 85kB

tail block

sabbassi - 10-12-2011 at 10:21 AM

here are 2 type of tail blocks shapes. depending of the shapre we are looking fore.

the one I use for this oud is made from spruce (old piano soundboard).

general pic.jpg - 124kB

SamirCanada - 10-12-2011 at 12:00 PM

!! I cant wait for this thread :)

so juicy

BaniYazid - 10-12-2011 at 12:15 PM

Thank you for this detailled thread

em.20 - 10-13-2011 at 01:41 AM

Hi,

how did you exactly form the neck block. On the second picture you're holding a saw in 45 degree and cutting it straight?

dkhoury35 - 10-13-2011 at 03:14 AM

you are the master !!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

sabbassi - 10-13-2011 at 03:48 AM

Thank you guys,

em.20, if you see the last pictures , there are 3 blocks. first design the shape of the neck block respecting the measurement given above. some oud have the neck more rounde than the one I make. I mean the join. the one u see is bit flater to fit the hand shape when playing. 5 cmm will be at the join, but when you add the two last ribs, you will end up with about 5,8 cm.
from any oud, you can follow the curve shape at the end of the oud and design the curve where the ribs will sit on.
the saw on the picture is not 45degree, I just show how you can remove the excess.

tail block

sabbassi - 10-13-2011 at 05:52 AM

I took a piece of spruce and traced the tail shape.
the measurements can be seen in the pictures
after some , plannig, tweaking and curving, the tail block is also little round and the end of the ribs will fall in to this round perfectly.
at the end the tail and neck blocks are mounted on a solide piece of paduk.

the distance from the end of the tail block to the beginning of the neck is exactly 49cm. when the bow is removed later it will move little backward to around 50cm

also, the flat part of the neck and the flat part of the tail are perfectly alligned, (can be tweaked later on if the soundboard is not flat at the first try)

tail 1.jpg - 164kB tail 2.jpg - 88kB mounted.jpg - 102kB

oud shape

sabbassi - 10-13-2011 at 06:00 AM

I have bended two ribs already to test and see how the final share will be approximatly.
Bending the ribs exactly the same can be a challange but with practice (trial and error) it should be easy.
I always use a half pattern to check the curve line of the oud.

shape.jpg - 107kB shape 2.jpg - 102kB

I will get back to this later with more detail,

ribs layout

sabbassi - 10-14-2011 at 08:26 AM

After the 19 ribs have been all shorted to 67,5cm (except the last 2 ribs at both ends), the layout can can be done. eventually bookmatching some ribs and playing with the layout.

A line is drawn on top of all the 17 ribs at the same level, and ribs get left and right marks and numbers.
After this all the ribs get the arrow layout with a pencil and then remove the excess with the bend saw.
(ribs 18 and 19 do not need to be cut yet as they will close both ends of the bowl)

I try to cut as close as I can to the lines to minimize the planing work after bending the ribs.

The arrow design can be copied from many oud around or by computer design program and tweaked the the shape you like to build.

ribs.jpg - 97kB

ribs 3.jpg - 77kB ribs 4.jpg - 81kB ribs shape.jpg - 78kB

purfrings

sabbassi - 10-14-2011 at 08:31 AM

I have also bended 4 maple ribs to the same shape as the oud and cut about 40 purfling for in between the ribs (1mm thick) for both ouds using a small table saw with a very thin blade.

purflings.jpg - 104kB

Ribs cut to shape

sabbassi - 10-18-2011 at 09:54 AM

the ribs are cut very close to the lines of the shape, so less work is done when planning.

Sometimes it is not necesary to wet the wood, depending on the type of wood and the structure of the grain.

to avoid any risk of broken ribs or tear outs I have wetted the macassar and the cocobolo.

half oud 2.jpg - 117kB

bending

sabbassi - 10-18-2011 at 09:57 AM

the half oud shape on the table help me to get as close as possible when bending. it is very time consuming and finger burning :) part of te build
Any way a very important rule here is that the rib should fall square on the table, no twists at the back or the front and folow the shape with 0 pressure. if all the ribs have almost exact the same shape, the build is made easier later.

half oud.jpg - 106kB

half oud 4.jpg - 103kB

testing the curve

sabbassi - 10-18-2011 at 10:03 AM

After planning the ribs with a Stanley hand planner, the rib should be perfectly flat and square, the ribs should land on the neck with ease just keeping the shape of the oud in place.

If we pull or push the ribs just a bit, it will loose it squareness and flatness and we may have to plan it again to fit the new shape (push or pull)

half oud 3.jpg - 92kB

first 3 ribs

sabbassi - 10-18-2011 at 10:09 AM

When i start building the bowl, I can choose to start by glueingthe first rib, let it dry and than 2 ribs(left right) etc, or I join the 3 first ribs together at one time with a thiny rope and purfling in between.

the ribs are then mounted on the free mould and the bowl build is now started.

ribs 3,4 and 5,6 etc are joined by masking tape. this tape has enouph pull power to squeeze the glue between the ribs, than we know we have a tight join.

By the way, I'm building another oud (indian rosewood) at the same time)

until next time take care guys

half oud 5.jpg - 106kB half oud 6.jpg - 105kB

Microber - 10-18-2011 at 11:15 AM

:applause: :bounce: :applause:

SO FUN TO FOLLOW YOUR WORK SAMIR !!!

meanwhile

sabbassi - 10-24-2011 at 11:39 PM

Thank you Robert.

Back on track

meanwhile I took another old piano soundboard and used the dewalt thikness planner and plan it to 3,2mm.
using a shootingboard the two pieces are trimmed square until there is no light in between the joint than I used the jig to join the two pieces. the jig is very simple but very effective.

I used some moisture to clean the glue squeezed. the moisture also helps the join to get even more consistent.

using a handplaner(rasor sharp), scraper (scraper sharpening tool) and a sanding block, all is brought down to 2.0mm clean finish.

the scraper can get very hot and burn the fingers , ooch. but when it is has sharp edges, it is a joy to work with.

soundboard planing.jpg - 283kB soundboard sanding.jpg - 91kB soundboard jig.jpg - 143kB

Bowls are finished

sabbassi - 10-24-2011 at 11:48 PM

The bowls are finished and after have been removed from the mould, the shape of the bowl can be tweaked couple of mm to achieve the right size.
the size of the maccassar bowl in the picture is about 36cm wide, 50cm long.

bowl finished 2.jpg - 147kB bowl finished.jpg - 175kB

ondalud - 10-25-2011 at 02:25 AM

Hello Samir,
I see that your production is always booming.
Very good.
My / your "cocobolo" oud continues to be a surprise.
It 'very èiaciuto to other friends of the group.
I'm telling you right now, that when you get one with nature (aesthetics and sound)
different from mine, I'm going to buy another.

Good job, good time and good music

sabbassi - 10-25-2011 at 04:54 AM

Hi There, nice to hear from you. (what is èiaciuto ?) hhh
well I will first finish Indian rosewood oud for a friend beforr I go on holidays fo 10 days.
When I come back I will then finish this project doing the maccassar and the cocobolo oud all together.
On the cocobolo, I will use the old piano soundboard and old piano braces and see what's going to happen :)

thank you my friend

Aymara - 10-25-2011 at 09:44 AM

Hi Samir!

Quote: Originally posted by sabbassi  
On the cocobolo, I will use the old piano soundboard and old piano braces and see what's going to happen :)

Old piano? Tell us more.

sabbassi - 10-25-2011 at 12:10 PM

Hi Chris,

Sorry that I didn't mention it on this post, but I have already posted a story how I have got 4 old piano sound board from the local piano dealer
here is the link : http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=12162&p...

piano.jpg - 476kB

3 bowls

sabbassi - 10-25-2011 at 12:24 PM

The bowls are finished but before i removed the tape, I use strong paper strips and hot glue to join the ribs inside.
I have already metioned this in another post

3 bowls.jpg - 152kB

Aymara - 10-25-2011 at 12:25 PM

Seems to be a lot of work to build oud soundboards out of these piano boards. But I bet, it's worth it.

sabbassi - 10-25-2011 at 12:32 PM

Yes Chris. it is lot of hard work, many people don't believe I work in the IT when they seem my hands :)
the whole piano soundboard only gives one proper soundboard for the oud, but the braces are very important also. so I have braces for 6 or 7 ouds :).

japanese saws

sabbassi - 10-25-2011 at 12:35 PM

These saw are a must to have. as for any luthier or woodworking lover, they make such clean and easy cuts.

so I use them for the braces, neck opening etc..

I also have made a little jig for the neck opening. as I have mentioned in other posts. the neck front side opening is 1 mm lower than the back side. in this case the neck when mounted will lean forward for the strings actions adjustement. we will get more in detail later on this.
so the neck front side opening is 16mm low , the back side is 15

japanese saw.jpg - 145kB japanese saw 2.jpg - 104kB neck opening.jpg - 127kB

Aymara - 10-25-2011 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sabbassi  
the whole piano soundboard only gives one proper soundboard for the oud, ...

I would have expected more than one ... astonishing.

ondalud - 10-25-2011 at 10:48 PM

I'm sorry Samir,
is a transcription error by the translator.
I just wanted to say that the lute is
liked to other group members.
Good holidays time.
and good job.

indian rosewood

sabbassi - 10-31-2011 at 03:19 AM

I had to finish the Indian rosewood oud before I go on vaccation for a friend. I will get back to the build process as soon as I come back.

Hand made rosette is from Lemon wood.

here is a picture of the finished oud. destination is Spain.

I will update this project in 3 weeks from now Inchalah

DSC_0936.jpg - 165kB DSC_9751.jpg - 163kB DSC_9767.jpg - 167kB

ondalud - 10-31-2011 at 04:04 AM

Hello Samir,
as usual ....
great job really great job.
we feel the next.

Ciao

Continuing

sabbassi - 11-18-2011 at 08:31 AM

the braces are also from sruce and 4.7mm thick. for now the hight is 18mm for all of them.

the purfling around the big hole is inserted in the facetop (see picture) just like they do for guitar, this way the combination is strong for holding the shamsa later or even when touching the purfling. for the small ones the purfling is arount the holes.

glueing the braces : I prefere to glue the first 4 at the back to make any adjustement and to have a good view. when its dry I go for the next 3.

When all is cured, I down the braces like this, from back to front

a13mm, b16mm, b13mm, d16mm, e15mm f14mm g13mm

the distance between a an b does not exceed 8.9 cmmm
the distance between f g is about 5cm

all this number can be tweaked depending on the stiffness of the top and braces and the size etc..

IMAG0337.jpg - 101kB IMAG0340.jpg - 81kB IMAG0341.jpg - 91kB IMAG0343.jpg - 93kB

Continuing

sabbassi - 11-18-2011 at 08:33 AM

Mounting the top on to the body require a purfling around the inside of the bowl.
braces alone glued the the body is not enouph. just like they do with custom guitars. and is turn out to be very good for the sound later.

Cocobolo purfling for around the soundboard and some cocobolo inlay at the front.

IMAG0347.jpg - 131kB IMAG0357.jpg - 114kB IMAG0358.jpg - 81kB IMAG0362.jpg - 74kB neck3.jpg - 110kB

Afbeelding 004.jpg - 62kB

ondalud - 11-21-2011 at 05:35 AM

Samir Hello and welcome back.

I am following with interest your work on these three new ouds.

Do you think to give their aesthetic and sound characteristics different?

Good luck and see you soon.:)

bulerias1981 - 11-22-2011 at 09:04 AM

Nice work sabbassi

I see you used linings at the inner edge of the bowl. I tried that also once.

Also, you said you use a computer program to tweak the shape of the ribs. I'd like to do that. Which program do you use?

sabbassi - 11-23-2011 at 01:53 PM

ondalud: In our arabic culture there is something we call al Baraka. dificult to explain but it is close to God gift. I can do my very best and try to make the best oud ever, but I need little Baraka to do it. for this oud also, he will have his own baraka and I'm alsmost sure it will be different from previous ouds in sound but will have same touch and aroma :)

Bulerias, I always use the inner strips, like they do in guitar.
I'm not a photoshop expert but you can use it for many things like lines, and curves, when you draw a line you can make start and end and shape it as you want using the tools.

sabbassi - 11-23-2011 at 01:57 PM

Sorry guys It is cold outside a this moment and it is time consuming to make pictures and post the whole process. I will continue the building process later when it get little warm.

anyway I have posted the most important about braces, soundboard, bowl etc.

I have finished the macassar oud today and I will mount the rosettes tomorrow and make some pictures and a sound file soon

I'm also ready to answer any question in detail.

fernandraynaud - 11-24-2011 at 01:09 AM

Samir, wonderful!

THAT's the word I was looking for, not "spacers" between the ribs: PURFLING!

And what is the Feline Something bag you keep the saws in? What brand are they (the saws)?

sabbassi - 11-24-2011 at 11:38 AM

Hi Fernand,

I keep the hand saws is the original bags. the saws come in plastic holder and you could purchace them here. it is a japanes brand called Dozuki I guess

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/712865/Basic-4-Piece-Saw-Se...

Here are some pictures of the oud

sabbassi - 11-25-2011 at 03:47 AM

specs:

- Pyramid lute strings CGDAFC
- Hand made rosette with lemon wood. thank you Alfaraby for the design
-Brasilian rosewood bridge
- highly figured root wood with black purfling around

The action is very low and smooth, 100% buzz free at firt use.

I will post a sound file later this week.

macassar 11.jpg - 122kB macassar 10.jpg - 150kB macassar 12.jpg - 139kB macassar 13.jpg - 107kB

macassar 3.jpg - 143kB

dkhoury35 - 11-25-2011 at 03:57 AM

this is an amazing our samir u keep getting better and better

sabbassi - 11-25-2011 at 04:44 AM

Thank you danny, it is a nice one indeed

ondalud - 11-25-2011 at 05:22 AM

Samir, is simply spectacular ....
and if it plays at least as it is beautiful ....
Congratulations Samir, now expect to hear the sound....
Have a good weekend.

Best Regards, Achille

Ararat66 - 11-25-2011 at 06:14 AM

Samir

What a beautiful oud - I particularly like the motif on the bottom of the bowl at the root of the ribs

Brilliant

Leon

sabbassi - 11-25-2011 at 06:45 AM

Thanks Achille, Leon

the motif at the back is a taken from old Moroccan doors. I wanted to give this oud an Andalous style.

ExtreamTarab - 11-25-2011 at 09:01 AM

Samir, this is beautiful as usual....The sound is great as well

Great job man, keep up the good work ;)

teslim - 11-25-2011 at 09:11 AM

gorgeous work Samir...beautiful lines and details...thank you for sharing the process with us---its always inspiring...

sabbassi - 11-26-2011 at 12:29 AM

Thanks guys, I will record better file later next week , I have noticed that strings are just not tuned yet.

Faladel - 11-30-2011 at 02:07 AM

Please sound Samir and sendme the price in Email

sabbassi - 11-30-2011 at 06:35 AM

Hello Faladel,

I wish I could, the oud has already an owner. it will go to the US.

I'm working on the other one still.

Thank you for you interests.

Seven course cocobolo

sabbassi - 12-2-2011 at 01:06 AM

The Cocobolo oud will be a seven course oud this time.
the soundboard is master degree german spruce.
the rosettes purfling is made using black and white tiles, using hot glue to join the small pieces.
there is also a paper support under each opening to give an extra support.
when the hot glue is cured, the rosette purfling is very strong and can be sanded down carefully to the soundboard level.

IMG_0061.jpg - 128kB

bulerias1981 - 12-2-2011 at 06:51 PM

Great job Sabbassi. I like very much. Great rosette too by the way.

Sanding, french polishing

sabbassi - 12-7-2011 at 09:27 AM

Thank you Bulerias

The back has been first scraped and then sanded starting from 120, 150, 180, 220, 280, 360, 400, 600, 1000 and 2000 grid.
A pore filler is used as sealer to smooth the oud and give a nice fisnih with the french polish. 2 days of polishing should be enouph every now and then a new coat.

IMG_0072.jpg - 104kB

opening the pegbox/neck join

sabbassi - 12-8-2011 at 11:19 AM

The opening is made carefully using japenese hand saws, the opening is not parallele to the fingerboard. to my opinion it gives a better look as we see later.

IMG_0079.jpg - 120kB

mounting and joining the peg box

sabbassi - 12-8-2011 at 11:25 AM

after some tweaks, the peg box fits nicely, and when applying some pression the glue squeezes from the 4 openings.

IMG_0082.jpg - 140kB

french polishing the top (shellac)

sabbassi - 12-8-2011 at 11:31 AM

The bridge is made ready first and the masking tape takes the shape of the bridge on the soundboard. this can be done by drawing with a fine pencile around the bridge , applying a masking tape, and then cutting around the edges of the pencil on the tape.

IMG_0083.jpg - 97kB IMG_0085.jpg - 98kB

End project

sabbassi - 12-10-2011 at 06:45 AM

HI Guys, the cocobolo oud is finished, I still have to make a nice rosette and mounted later this week.
the strings are on and it is ready to play some tunes. this is by the way my first 7 course oud.
the strings are labella FCGDAFC

Brasilian Rosewood bridge
root wood pickguard
strings lenght 58,5cm

DSC_9801.jpg - 120kB DSC_9806.jpg - 123kB DSC_9819.jpg - 128kB DSC_9825.jpg - 121kB DSC_9828.jpg - 112kB

bulerias1981 - 12-17-2011 at 08:54 PM

Excellent, I love the finish. What do you make of the sound?

teslim - 12-18-2011 at 12:16 AM

another beautiful work of love..thank you Samir..

sabbassi - 12-18-2011 at 05:41 AM

Thank you guys, I appreciate this

I will make a bone rosette for it this days, and probably will sell it if I can get what it is worth.
I have mounted Pyramid lute trings on it instead, I will make a video/sound tomorrow and post it here.
I have also changed the nut to bone nut and lowered the action to 2.5 (neck join) . 7 strings is lot of tension.
the action now is very nice and smooth, buzz free

thanks