Mike's Oud Forums

New member saying hello

Fretless - 3-26-2005 at 02:22 AM

My real name is Rob MacKillop, based in Scotland. One or two of you might dimly recall my name from a few years back when I had my first rush of interest in the oud. I was luckily granted a Churchill Fellowship to travel to Istanbul and study with Necati Celik. When I was there I picked up a beautiful oud by Faruk Turunz. Mainly I played Scottish lute music, but recorded one improvised oud track to a recitation by a poet on a CD. Sadly I then suffered a huge financial crash and all my instruments were sold, including my oud...

On the brighter side, I am now solvent and back playing again. I hope to buy an oud again soon, but it will have to be under 500 euros/dollars (any for sale in UK?).

Before I sold my instruments I performed a new piece written for oud by one of Scotland's leading composers, Eddie McGuire, who has a great interest in world music as seen through Scottish eyes/ears. Luckily there is a video recording of the first performance, which I am now trying to put on disc and will eventually put it on my website: http://www.rmguitar.co.uk

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the wisdom and experience of this forum.

Cheers,
Fretless :wavey:

David Parfitt - 3-28-2005 at 01:03 AM

Hi Rob

It's great to hear that things are going well for you again. Good luck with your future projects.

All the best

David

Fretless - 3-28-2005 at 04:26 AM

Thanks David. Your website was my first port of call on my return to the oud. Great site.:bowdown:
Rob

Mike - 3-28-2005 at 09:21 AM

Hey Rob,

Welcome to the forums. There is an excellent oudmaker in the UK named Michael Moussa. I don't have his contact info, but I will try to get it for you. Check this thread to see one of his ouds.

Good luck,
Mike

Fretless - 3-28-2005 at 10:46 AM

Thanks Mike. That oud looks gorgeous - and expensive. Probably not what I can afford just now. Maybe next year. In the meantime I'm looking for something to help me just get back into things. Great website Mike!

Rob

billkilpatrick - 3-28-2005 at 02:11 PM

dear rob -

pleasure to see you here.

you might try:

http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr/

i've only heard good things about him. his instruments are inexpensive and appear to be of good quality.

- bill

Fretless - 3-28-2005 at 02:19 PM

Hi Bill,

Small world, isn't it!

Rob

Mike - 3-28-2005 at 03:41 PM

Hey Rob,
I was able to get Michael's email.
Best of luck,
Mike

billkilpatrick - 3-28-2005 at 11:56 PM

... small and bowl-backed.