Mike's Oud Forums

'Arabesques' recordings

David Parfitt - 11-16-2003 at 08:45 AM

Hi everyone!

I would like to ask whether any of you has the ‘Arabesques’ series of vinyl recordings (10 LPs) recorded by J-C Chabrier in the 1960s(?). The recordings include four discs of oud music by Jamil and Munir Bashir (Iraq), Omar Naqshbandi (Syria) and Jamil Ghanim (Yemen).

It would be great if someone could transfer these records to MP3 (or CD) format, so that our circle of oud enthusiasts could have access to this wonderful music. Can anyone help?

Best wishes

David

Mike - 11-18-2003 at 07:40 AM

Hi David,

I've never heard of these LPs. I'll check with my oud teacher, and if I can find them, I'll definitely let you know.

Mike

Arabesques LPs

Daniel Donnell - 7-28-2004 at 06:39 PM

Hello, David and Michael: I have several of the Arabesques LPs from the 1970s, including for oud: Munir Bachir, Omar Naqichbendi, and Jamil Ghanim ... and for nai: Selim Kusur and Hayri Tumer. The performances, notes, and recordings are excellent. I also have Salman Shukur's LP on Decca. Despite numerous inquiries over the years to a host of labels and organizations, I have never received a response about CD releases of these, and at one time I even offered to support a re-release in CD format. Soundlabs around here charge $30 to $70 a CD copy of an LP depending upon how much work they need. I live in Portland Oregon. Please respond to my e-mail address at soundpath@hotmail.com if you are really interested. Thank you, and make good music! - Daniel

Source

freya - 7-29-2004 at 12:44 PM

There seem to be some in stock at:

http://www.secondhandrecords.de/instock/index.php?genreid=58

Freya