Mike's Oud Forums

Learn Maqamat on the OUD - VERSION 2

Oud.Proff - 2-5-2008 at 11:13 AM

Hello everyone,

I'd like to pronounce the launching of my CD (actually a DVD, to be played on a PC) "Learn Maqamat on the OUD". Well, I have been hibernating for the past few months putting the final touches on the DVD. The fact of the matter is, I started this whole idea years after I started to accumulate an archive of files for myself actually regarding Maqamat, as I came across several oud teachers from different schools (Egypt, Syria and Iraq).

It has been stated by many musicologists that the Western music has basically 2 scales (Major and Minor) as compared to the Arabic/Eastern music which is strongly believed to contain well beyond 200 Maqams, despite there is an increasing consensus that many different Maqams can be actually unified, ending up with a less number of Maqams eventually. Consider too, that the last international musicology conference regarding Arabic music and it's Maqams was held in Cairo back in 1932 !!, there has been an enormous degree of discrepancies regarding naming of many Maqamat, and description of their scales. Nonetheless, my intense discussions with great Iraqi musicians made me realize that the Iraqi school is one of the most extremely rich and unique school of music Maqams. The same thing of course applies on Arabic music from the Western side of Arabia (e.g. Tunisia & Algeria). So, what I'm trying to say here is ……all in all……there is a BIG number of Arabic music Maqams and that they entail so many details to be explored !

Through the past few years, I've noticed the clear interest from the Western World in Eastern/Arabic music and was often impressed how steeped some Westerner oud players were in Arabic music and the oud in particular. Well…therefore, and to make a long story short, I've decided to make the first announcement about this DVD here at Mike's amongst friends and great oud enthusiasts. I'd also state a simple word of plain truth as well at this point, some people may get a wrong impression regarding my ID name "Oud.Proff". Well, it is a slogan stuck with me by a friend one night and I got stuck with that name ever since ! So it is no more than just an online name for surfing the net and signifying my love and passion to the oud, although I originally played the piano during early childhood but then switched to the oud some 20 years ago.

In this DVD I hope I'll be presenting this vastly versatile type of information about Maqamat in this "compact" form "a Disc". Well, one would probably ask, what would this DVD offer differently from other resources, aside from the fact that it sums up many facts regarding Maqamat in a single package?

Well, what I found more important to tackle at one point during the making of this DVD is not only the presentation of a Maqam's sequence of tones, but rather the exposure of it's "soul and personality". See, a single sequence of tones can be tackled differently to present a certain "Maqam" personality. This is of particular importance especially with theoretically identical "transposes" (i.e., Tasaweer), but of practically and actually different flavor/soul !

Some of the things I've also tackled in this DVD are some subtle advanced issues about Maqamat, in the form of explanatory videos as well as schematics and text. For example, in Western Music, the tone Sol-G bimol is equivalent of the tone Fa-F diez (on the piano or the guitar…..right??). Well on the oud believe it or not….they are not !! Also, the same note (Mi-E half bimol) exists in different scales (Maqams) such as Maqam Rast, Maqam Segah and Maqam Bayyat. Well….again, believe it or not….this note is actually/practically different among the fore-mentioned Maqams !! Also, the concept of what's known as the "Sensible Note" (Hassas) is also tackled. This is all tackled in the CD and exposed in video and schematic formats…..since….."SEEING IS BELIEVING", as well as text format.

One thing that I think is fascinating as well, is that I've constructed what I call: the "Maqam Pocket Book" !! It is basically a very simplified abstract information (in a single PDF file) containing the debriefing of all Maqams included in this DVD, and I actually put this file into my very cell phone and access it whenever I forget something about Maqamat !...I really love that feature, and it is included in the DVD.
Often times I was asked to present educational video clips on my YouTube channel (http://uk.youtube.com/user/OudProff). However, I always found it to be "Mission Impossible" to present 50+ different educational videos about Maqamat without some preliminary/prerequisite content that I now managed to put in the DVD. Therefore, I'm NOW planning on establishing a special series of videos (as follow up to the DVD) aboard YouTube in order to fill necessary type of information as a bonus to DVD owners.

Another feature I found interesting and used in the DVD is the use of a "Fretted Oud" !. Well, the frets are actually liner drawings on the fingerboard and are rather hypothetical and not real separators. But I think this type of presentation rendered a tough job real easy, in most explanatory videos in the DVD.

Here is a list of Maqamat names discussed in the DVD: Ajam, Jiharkah, Shawq Afza, Mazmoom, Ajam Kurdi, Ajam Osheiran, Nawa Athar, Nikriz, Athar Kord, Husar, Segah, Huzam, Iraq, Bastanikar, Rahat Arwah, Musta'ar, Segah Baladi, Frihnak, Maya. Awshar, Bayyat, Shoori, Huseini, Huseini Osheiran Nahaft, Nahawand, Sultani Yagah, Nahawand Kurdi, Dasht, Lawk, Farah Faza, Busalik, Sunbulah, Oshaq Masri, Rast, Suznak, Zaweel, Nairooz, Yagah, Mahoor, Suzdalara, Hijaz, Hijaz Ajami, Hijaz Kar, Shadd Araban, Shahnaz, Suzdal, Turkish Jihar Kah, Zanjaran, Saba, Saba Zamzamah, Saba Busalik, Saba Osheiran, Kord, Hijaz Kar Kord, Tarzanwin, Lami.

I was really hoping that the DVD release time to have been some several months past, but the immense technical, design, and legal issues actually took a lot of time as well as money, and caused me to be that late.

A video clip glimpsing some flashes and some features of the DVD shall be posted soon on my YouTube channel.

Please keep in mind, this DVD is basically a multimedia presentation that requires a PC (no DVD player/Mac).

Reserve your copy directly through email (oud.proff@gmail.com).

Best regards,

charlie oud - 2-5-2008 at 11:23 AM

Congratulations Oudproff !, Will reserve my copy soon & thankyou for your enduring contribution to us all.

nayoud - 2-5-2008 at 03:12 PM

Congrats Oud Proff ..... tell us how to buy it when you finally release it ... thanks

Oud.Proff - 2-6-2008 at 01:15 AM

Thanks a lot charlie and nayoud. I will let you know once the pack in hand. Today I was told by the publisher it's gonna be less than a week. Will post a clip about the DVD on my YouTube channel and pass the link here soon too.

Take care,

zalzal - 2-6-2008 at 01:17 AM

Same as nayoud, congrats and tell us how to buy (europe france) how to pay.
The cover is very nice, aesthetically relaxing.
It will be for sure an excellent ressource.

Melbourne - 2-6-2008 at 01:56 AM

:bounce:

Fantastic. Good stuff Oud.Proff - Looking forward to receiving my copy.

Ararat66 - 2-6-2008 at 10:01 AM

Hi oud prof - count me in too, I'll order one when they are ready.

Best regards

Leon

michoud - 2-6-2008 at 05:09 PM

:applause:

DVD post on YouTube

Oud.Proff - 2-9-2008 at 02:40 AM

Hello everyone :),

Here is a breif video presentation about the DVD:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8381220800689096707

Take care :wavey:,
O.P.

nayoud - 2-9-2008 at 07:46 AM

Oud proff

I sent you an email

DaveH - 2-9-2008 at 11:05 AM

Alf mabrouk Oudproff, this really looks like a superb and very valuable project. Especially for people who can't easily access teachers. Watching the youtube trailer, it's like having a teacher in the room! A teacher who runs informative captions across your field of vision when he modulates!!!

Can I just ask - is the DVD fully bilingual?

And just one suggestion, though I might be wrong about this. I believe the more appropriate English translation for "hassas" might be "sensitive" note, rather than "sensible" - "sensible" = rational (of a person), whereas "sensitive" = adapting to a particular (in this case musical) context. People often get confused it they have learned the french "sensible" = rational. Forgive me if I've misunderstood your intention in translating this word.

Congratulations once again.

Oud.Proff - 2-9-2008 at 03:18 PM

Dear Dave,

Thanks to you a lot.

Yes indeed, the DVD is bilingual.....English/Arabic.

Regarding the "Hassas". I remember I had this discussion with a musicologist (an Iraqi, but a graduate of Eastern Europe) specialized in violin. It rather seems to me that the word "Sensible Note" is more of a term. Here is some net search as well to support this (aside from the French stance; as sensible):
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Sensible+note
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/V_SENSIBLE_NOTE.HTM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensible_note

There also seems to be less consensus with the term "sensitive note", from the net again (actually I haven't seen any).

What the Hassas does is it makes the scale more appealing/acceptable to the normal ear. So in other words, it's the ear that is "sensitive" to this "sensible" note.

By the way, as in published books or other publications in general, mistakes take place all the time. So I'm open more than any other time for feedback and suggestions from everyone.
This is actually much appreciated Dave. Feel free and please let me know if there are proofs/resources supporting your suggestion.

Comments on this issue (Hassas), as well as other stuff from all members of the forum are more than appreciated.

Thanks again buddy :wavey:

O.P.

Marina - 2-10-2008 at 12:20 PM

Oud.Proff - 2-11-2008 at 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marina

:wavey:

DaveH - 2-11-2008 at 09:01 AM

I stand corrected, oudproff! - though I think the french term "note sensible" predates the English one. Anyway, this looks like a really thorough guide at a reasonable price. Good luck with it and I think you'll be getting an order from me soon.

Cheers

David

Oud.Proff - 2-16-2008 at 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveH
I stand corrected, oudproff! - though I think the french term "note sensible" predates the English one. Anyway, this looks like a really thorough guide at a reasonable price. Good luck with it and I think you'll be getting an order from me soon.

Cheers

David

Thanks for the interaction Dave ;)

MatthewW - 2-23-2008 at 09:29 AM

Thanks OP for getting this DVD together! reserve me one as well buddy!

Oud.Proff - 2-24-2008 at 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewW
Thanks OP for getting this DVD together! reserve me one as well buddy!

My dear MatthewW,

It would be my very pleasure to reserve one for you buddy !. Thanks again for the kind encouragement since the early days to this project.

cjmichael - 2-28-2008 at 05:14 PM

You'll be getting an E-mail from me Prof. I had wondered where you've been.

Oud.Proff - 3-1-2008 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cjmichael
You'll be getting an E-mail from me Prof. I had wondered where you've been.

Hey cjmichael ;)

Been around, thought the same thing about you actually !

See you around "more"

Amer - 3-1-2008 at 02:58 PM

Hi OudProff,

I've recieved the DVD and I must say that this is the best comprehensive digital resource of material put together for Maqamat and Oud learning!!! :airguitar:

This is BIG man, Oud players around the world bow in respect and appreciation! :bowdown:

Cyberquills - 3-1-2008 at 03:21 PM

Hi OP

Well Done, WELL DONE INDEED! YOur work will be an invaluable tool for everyone wishing to improve their skills on the oud.

CQ

Oud.Proff - 3-2-2008 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amer
Hi OudProff,

I've recieved the DVD and I must say that this is the best comprehensive digital resource of material put together for Maqamat and Oud learning!!! :airguitar:

This is BIG man, Oud players around the world bow in respect and appreciation! :bowdown:

Dear Amer and Dear CQ,

Thank you very much you guys, I'm humbled. It's very fulfilling to see your satisfaction with this effort on the DVD.
I hope to present more, as I'm already working on some updates and additional material (for version 2 of the DVD?).

My best wishes to all of you,
O.P.

Abusaid - 3-3-2008 at 07:46 AM

:applause: Alf mabruk oud.proff. I've seen the video presentation on youtube, it's really great for oud lerning.

ozeri - 3-4-2008 at 05:14 AM

Just got my DVD yesterday .... superb !
So well done and so jam packed with information.
I have,in just a few hours,vastly increased my skill on the oud
as well as my appreciation for the instrument.
If someone is thinking about getting this DVD from, I totally
recommend that you do.
No better learning tool available period...this is it.
Thank you Oudproff

Oud.Proff - 3-4-2008 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Abusaid
:applause: Alf mabruk oud.proff. I've seen the video presentation on youtube, it's really great for oud lerning.

"Shukran Shukran" Abusaid ;)

Oud.Proff - 3-4-2008 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ozeri
Just got my DVD yesterday .... superb !
So well done and so jam packed with information.
I have,in just a few hours,vastly increased my skill on the oud
as well as my appreciation for the instrument.
If someone is thinking about getting this DVD from, I totally
recommend that you do.
No better learning tool available period...this is it.
Thank you Oudproff

Hi ozeri,
Very pleased to know you received the DVD and enjoying it my dear.

Thanks very much

Mike - 3-4-2008 at 09:43 AM

Hey O.P.

I think I've got mine too! Unfortunately, I wasn't home to receive it and sign for it, so I have to pick it up from the post office. Planning on doing it today. Can't wait to see it.

Many thanks,
Mike

abusin - 3-4-2008 at 02:19 PM

Hi OP,

Great intro one the youtube, I'll be ordering mine soon buddy :D

Salam

Awad

Greg - 3-4-2008 at 03:29 PM

Thanks OP,

My DVD has arrived and I had a quick scan of it yesterday. I am very happy with my purchase, I like the way the information is logically presented and the video content is well done. This multimedia presentation will provide great assistance to many aspiring oud players (me included).

I feel a point of clarification is necessary for intending purchasers (this may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but, if so, I missed it).
The term "DVD" to most people implies "DVD Video." In other words, a DVD disk that can be played on a standalone DVD player and with MPEG-2 video content at a standardised data rate. This presentation is not a "DVD Video." It is a multimedia presentation of about 1 GB that is designed to be played on a computer. At 1 GB, it is too big for the standard 800 MB CD-ROM, hence it is supplied on a 4.7 GB DVD-ROM.

It is an excellent training resource OP, thanks very much.

Regards,

Greg

Oud.Proff - 3-4-2008 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
Thanks OP,

My DVD has arrived and I had a quick scan of it yesterday. I am very happy with my purchase, I like the way the information is logically presented and the video content is well done. This multimedia presentation will provide great assistance to many aspiring oud players (me included).

I feel a point of clarification is necessary for intending purchasers (this may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but, if so, I missed it).
The term "DVD" to most people implies "DVD Video." In other words, a DVD disk that can be played on a standalone DVD player and with MPEG-2 video content at a standardised data rate. This presentation is not a "DVD Video." It is a multimedia presentation of about 1 GB that is designed to be played on a computer. At 1 GB, it is too big for the standard 800 MB CD-ROM, hence it is supplied on a 4.7 GB DVD-ROM.

It is an excellent training resource OP, thanks very much.

Regards,

Greg

Dear Greg,

Thanks for the compliment, and more thanks for the clarification.

During the course of production of this "Multimedia", the plan started actually to present a CD. Then when the content exceeded the capacity of a "CD", we went and shifted gears towards a DVD to hold that larger content.

Well, at that point later on, we started thinking maybe we could present it as a DVD presentation. But the programmers stated it was not possible to include Video files alongside text files (well pdf) and schematics in a regular DVD presentation. Hence, the outcome was this "Multimedia" product, put altogether on a DVD.

Thanks again Greg.

Regards,
O.P.

Oud.Proff - 3-4-2008 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by abusin
Hi OP,

Great intro one the youtube, I'll be ordering mine soon buddy :D

Salam

Awad

Dear Awad,

You be my guest buddy :)

Best wishes,
O.P.

tsugumi - 3-27-2008 at 07:03 AM

Hi Oud proff

I sent you an email.

tsugumi

Oud.Proff - 3-27-2008 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tsugumi
Hi Oud proff

I sent you an email.

tsugumi

Dear tsugumi,

Just replied to your email.

All the best,

tsugumi - 4-3-2008 at 07:48 AM

Hi OP

I received DVD.
Thank you very much.

tsugumi

Oud.Proff - 4-3-2008 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tsugumi
Hi OP

I received DVD.
Thank you very much.

tsugumi

You're very welcomed tsugumi :)

arsene - 4-16-2008 at 03:10 PM

I just ordered my copy! yay!

- Andy

francis - 7-11-2008 at 03:51 PM

Not to late to order a copy, Oud.Proff?
I looked at the youtube presentation, I read the great feedbacks.......so I can't resist longer to order!
Could you send me a mail , please?
A bientôt,
Thanks

Ararat66 - 7-12-2008 at 11:07 AM

Hi oud prof

I'm still into one of these - I contacted you a while ago and life intervened as usual ... will get in touch again soon.

Best wishes

Leon

Oud.Proff - 7-12-2008 at 12:23 PM

Hello all,

I sent you a U2U francis, you be my guest. Thanks.

Sure Leon (Ararat66), anytime man !

My very best wishes,

Marcus - 1-21-2009 at 02:44 AM

Hi Oudproff,:wavey:
This is exactly the thing I`m looking for.:D
I`m searching for a teacher since a few month but it seems impossible to find in the area I live.

But why waisting time with searching if I can have you as my teacher?:bowdown::bowdown:
So, is the DVD still availiable?
How can I order and pay for it?

Congratulations for your great work!!:applause:

All the best

Marcus

Learn Maqamat on the OUD - VERSION 2 !

Oud.Proff - 1-21-2009 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Hi Oudproff,:wavey:
This is exactly the thing I`m looking for.:D
I`m searching for a teacher since a few month but it seems impossible to find in the area I live.

But why waisting time with searching if I can have you as my teacher?:bowdown::bowdown:
So, is the DVD still availiable?
How can I order and pay for it?

Congratulations for your great work!!:applause:

All the best

Marcus

Dear Marcus,

You almost caused a bubble burst here :), I was hardly keeping the surprise for later, but oh well....now I'll have to let the news out: the second version of the Multimedia will be released like VERY soon !
A real leap from the first Version.
I'll write details very soon ;)
Best wishes,

the-e-vid - 1-24-2009 at 02:41 AM

how I can get the first dvd?

mercm525i - 1-24-2009 at 06:43 AM

Oud proff, as you know I've been happily and patiently awaiting the second version for some time now and will be glad to purchase as soon as it is available. Thank you.

Learn Maqamat on the OUD - VERSION 2: Launched !

Oud.Proff - 1-25-2009 at 01:59 AM

Hello mercm525i, the-e-vid and all members,

It’s a pleasure to declare the launching of the educational multimedia "Learn Maqamat on the OUD, Version 2"

Here is a video clip presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijZmTxkYsoE

Right after the release of the first version ~12 months ago, we've been busy expanding, improving, and adding new features to the second version.

Leaps from Version 1, presented in Version 2 (NEW !):
- All new look and entertaining design virtually of the whole content !. Virtually, all aspects/contents have been revised, improved and expanded.
- More than 60 new educational videos presented mostly in a new different style.
- The use of 6-course ouds (with different tunings in different examples/videos!): FF AA DD gg cc ff, D GG AA dd gg cc and C FF AA DD gg cc (and not only the 5-course oud as in Version 1).
- Electronic book (~201 pages) that can be printed out, in addition to ~36 pages new-look electronic booklets. Both can be printed out to make hard copies.
- The "Maqam Identifier" tool !: Previously in Version1, we explored Maqamat through recognizing the action points and notes on the oud neck, and thus the scales. Furthermore, we covered some of those Maqam personalities. Eventually, we listed and described the "tone distance" as you can see in the small table with the numbers in each particular Maqam section. Now, we are going to do this process backwards and see how useful it is to do so, using this new and handy tool the – Maqam Identifier –. Using a numerical classification of Maqamat based upon inter-note spacing for each Maqam's scale, one can now recognize -identify- the Maqam of interest within a piece of music he/she may like !. For the purpose of exemplification, the WHOLE song of "Atlal" (composed by Sunbati, Sang by Om Kulthoum) is analyzed using this tool – the "Maqam Identifier –. Due to total whopping multimedia content size on the DVD (a full DVD; ~4.6 Gb), half of this analysis is included in the DVD, the rest is available for subscribers in my YouTube-DVD2 Club channel. This single project alone (Atlal analysis) took more than 3 months of rigorous exhausting work ! We're glad it has seen the light eventually :)
- Several basic right/left hand techniques (basic to advanced) are also included in this version. This includes action on the fingerboard drills, Risha holding, and Risha plucking (regular and inverted Risha techniques)….ect. The method presented is uniquely simple and very practical to adopt by all levels of oudists. Those basic drills open doors for countless number of drills !
- System Requirements:
o PC system (the Multimedia WON'T work on Mac or a DVD
player).
o MS Media Player.
o MS Office.
o Latest Acrobat Reader.
o DVD drive (capacity of 4.7 Gb or greater).
o Latest JavaScript/Adobe's Flash Player version.
o Latest version of Microsoft .NET Framework.
o System must be clean from all Malware/Virus types that
may impede the functionality of the product.

There will be a 20% discount to owners of Version 1.
The item can be purchased from eBay immediately :)
For those who don't have an eBay account and would like to purchase it directly, please email me for details.

Although it can be sent virtually worldwide, please contact me before purchase due to restrictions to certain locations.

All the best to you all !

Owain-Hawk - 1-25-2009 at 03:55 AM

WOW! 10 minute clip and it hasn't even touched whats in the DVD! :xtreme: I can see this must have taken a lot of hard work. I'm extremely grateful for the fact you are helping us noobies improve. I'm also extremely impressed with the 'Maqam Identifier'! In fact, the whole thing impresses and excites me so much, I'll have to order my copy tonight or I'll explode!!!! :bounce: It's irionic also, because I was just going to try and learn Al Atal...!

Arghh, get to play with Om Kalthoum!!!!!!!!!! :applause:

By the way, can I order with a different Ebay account and still get my discount...? :mad:

Oud.Proff - 1-25-2009 at 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Owain-Hawk
WOW! 10 minute clip and it hasn't even touched whats in the DVD! :xtreme: I can see this must have taken a lot of hard work. I'm extremely grateful for the fact you are helping us noobies improve. I'm also extremely impressed with the 'Maqam Identifier'! In fact, the whole thing impresses and excites me so much, I'll have to order my copy tonight or I'll explode!!!! :bounce: It's irionic also, because I was just going to try and learn Al Atal...!

Arghh, get to play with Om Kalthoum!!!!!!!!!! :applause:

By the way, can I order with a different Ebay account and still get my discount...? :mad:

Dear Owain,
Thanks for the nice words. Yes in fact it did take lot's of work from all parties in the project.

Sure Owain, just let me know that account belongs to you. In our database, we keep all names of buyers of the first version, so no worries ;)

Regards,

FastForward - 1-25-2009 at 11:16 AM

Oud.Proff,

Congratulations and its Good to hear this news, it looks really good.

I had a question, does the dvd include sheet music for the pieces you are performing?

Also, anyone in Los Angeles interested in ordering together and saving some $$.

Oud.Proff - 1-25-2009 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FastForward
Oud.Proff,

Congratulations and its Good to hear this news, it looks really good.

I had a question, does the dvd include sheet music for the pieces you are performing?

Also, anyone in Los Angeles interested in ordering together and saving some $$.

Hi FastForward,

Thanks for the compliments. Tablatures are not a subject in this version yet, we're planning on tackling that and other issues in Version 3 later though (wheels in motion already :)).

Best of luck,

mercm525i - 1-26-2009 at 07:07 PM

Thanks oud proff, just ordered a copy from ebay.

Oud.Proff - 2-3-2009 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mercm525i
Thanks oud proff, just ordered a copy from ebay.

You're very welcome :wavey:

Brian Prunka - 2-22-2009 at 10:18 PM

Any chance version 3 will work on a Mac?

esteso - 4-23-2009 at 11:05 AM

Hmm, no word on Mac yet? Too bad. It looks so good I might have to buy a PC just for that.

Oud.Proff - 4-23-2009 at 12:34 PM

Sorry Brian and Michael for the delay in response to the Mac question. I was hoping to resolve this issue with the programmer, but seems to yet need some more work on that.

So, for now only PC. After all Michael a PC will come in handy for other things too :)

Best wishes,

esteso - 4-24-2009 at 07:17 AM

Hello Oud.Prof

Thanks for the (for me) quick reply. I've pretty much decided I must find a way to study this DVD and I've already got 3 computers so I don't really want another. (but what can you do?)

Which version or versions of MS Office do you need in order to run this? Maybe I can install it in my son's PC. And is there anything else that will trip me up? I know exactly zero about PCs.

Here's another thought......... How about Windows emulation software?

Cheers

Oud.Proff - 5-23-2009 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by esteso  
Hello Oud.Prof

Thanks for the (for me) quick reply. I've pretty much decided I must find a way to study this DVD and I've already got 3 computers so I don't really want another. (but what can you do?)

Which version or versions of MS Office do you need in order to run this? Maybe I can install it in my son's PC. And is there anything else that will trip me up? I know exactly zero about PCs.

Here's another thought......... How about Windows emulation software?

Cheers

Sorry for the delay in my reply to you Michael.

OK, here are the system requirements:

o PC system (the Multimedia WON'T work on Mac or a DVD player).

o MS Media Player.

o MS Office (2003 or later)

o Recent version of Acrobat Reader (available for FREE).

o Latest JavaScript version (can be downloaded here for free: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp).

o Latest version of Microsoft .NET Framework (can be downloaded here for free:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4... ).

o Latest Adobe Flash Player (can be downloaded here for free: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)

o System must be clean from all Malware/Virus types that may impede the functionality of the product.

o Please keep in mind, the Multimedia Disc (DVD) is "fully loaded" and will require a pretty decent up to date DVD drive (for capacity of 4.7 Gb or greater; but not necessarily BluRay !) in order for the multimedia disc to fully function.
--------
With regard to your last question about windows emulation software, I'll have to check on that with the programmer before I give any answer....but I think we still need some time to overcome the Mac issue.

Thanks,

Saba7 - 6-24-2009 at 11:26 PM

Hello Oud Proff, I lived in France and I would like to order the DVD (learn maqamat on oud). D you deliver in Europe?
Thank you

Oud.Proff - 6-25-2009 at 03:10 AM

Thanks sandymiss.

Yes Saba7, it can be shipped to France. You can either purchase it at eBay, or you can email me if you have questions.

Regards,

Saba7 - 6-26-2009 at 06:58 AM

Bonjour Oud.Proff
I just ordered my copy from ebay
Congratulations for ur work, and your great talent !!! :applause:

Greetings from France

Question re: Learn Maqamat DVD

fernandraynaud - 8-24-2009 at 11:42 PM

Does anyone know what modules need Microsoft Office? That seems a little unusual. Is it a matter of needing spreadsheet capability, or what?

Also any sign of when version 3 might come out?

Oud.Proff - 8-25-2009 at 12:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Saba7  
Bonjour Oud.Proff
I just ordered my copy from ebay
Congratulations for ur work, and your great talent !!! :applause:

Greetings from France

You're quite welcome Saba7,
Thanks.

Oud.Proff - 8-25-2009 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Does anyone know what modules need Microsoft Office? That seems a little unusual. Is it a matter of needing spreadsheet capability, or what?

Also any sign of when version 3 might come out?

I can answer that fernandraynaud :) Yes... that is exactly correct, one of the new features in this version - the Maqam Identifier - does need a spreadsheet capability in Excel.

No news with regard to Version 3 as of yet, but we sure are still working on it !

Thanks for your interest.

fernandraynaud - 8-25-2009 at 02:24 AM

As a programmer I can tell you that there are plugins that provide Excel compatible spreadsheet capability without requiring the user to have what is a very expensive program. Windows is one thing, but I sure don't install Office on every PC in the studio!

I have used FarPoint and some other spreadsheet "components" when programming in Delphi, Borland C++ and other languages. They only cost a few hundred dollars for an unlimited use license for the programmer, you insert it into the human interface you are building. They come as ActiveX and .NET so they can be used even in very simple browser-based projects. There are some versions that are so complete they do everything that Excel does, and these are most expensive, but there are also simpler ones where you don't need quite that. You might have your programmer look into it.

Also there are Excel-compatible office suites that are open source and/or free to the end user, so the programmer should make sure that these can be used as well. Open Office comes to mind. Now THAT can be installed on every machine.

http://www.openoffice.org/

My point is that it's enough domination by Microsoft without making Offi$e a requirement to use your marvelous project, when all you need is a spreadsheet!

Sazi - 8-25-2009 at 03:55 AM

I used xlviewer.exe - a small 9.9mb free program from microsoft download page, works fine with the Maqam identifier, don't go for the latest ExcelViewer.exe - it's 74.1mb!!! (3hr download on dial-up!!) I don't know what makes the file so big, but whatever it is you don't need it!

Oud.Proff - 8-25-2009 at 06:40 AM

Thanks a lot fernandraynaud and Sazi. We may have overlooked that issue actually, simply thinking that MS-Office is the predominant Office Suite in most machines, as a "given". But you're absolutely correct fernandraynaud, greatly appreciated.

Regards

FLIPAX - 11-13-2009 at 02:12 PM

Hey OudProff! Its Philip From Dubai:wavey:

I Ordered From U the DVD.........

I already got the DVD from Mail Box!

Thanks MAN!

How Can I access the Membership Videos?

U2U Me If U Read This Message

Thanks Please Reply!!!!

Shoukran,

Philip:airguitar:

fernandraynaud - 11-14-2009 at 02:57 AM

Philip, you need to e-mail him, he hardly ever checks here.

jamie-learn - 3-25-2011 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Oud.Proff  
[
OK, here are the system requirements:

o PC system (the Multimedia WON'T work on Mac or a DVD player).

o MS Media Player.

o MS Office (2003 or later)

o Recent version of Acrobat Reader (available for FREE).

o Latest JavaScript version (can be downloaded here for free: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp).

o Latest version of Microsoft .NET Framework (can be downloaded here for free:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4... ).

o Latest Adobe Flash Player (can be downloaded here for free: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)

o System must be clean from all Malware/Virus types that may impede the functionality of the product.

o Please keep in mind, the Multimedia Disc (DVD) is "fully loaded" and will require a pretty decent up to date DVD drive (for capacity of 4.7 Gb or greater; but not necessarily BluRay !) in order for the multimedia disc to fully function.
--------
With regard to your last question about windows emulation software, I'll have to check on that with the programmer before I give any answer....but I think we still need some time to overcome the Mac issue.

Thanks,

Thanks for providing detailed information

mustanggt209 - 4-7-2011 at 09:57 AM

why it's not available to Egypt MR OUD.PROFF??????
PLz

Oud.Proff - 7-4-2012 at 09:08 AM

Philip, you need to e-mail him, he hardly ever checks here.

Thanks fernandraynaud, I'm here now :)

fernandraynaud - 7-5-2012 at 04:09 AM

I'd like to add a few points for people that don't have a standard PC. The media files that are the actual examples can be played on just about any system. The book can be viewed with any PDF viewer. The spreadsheet can be used with many programs. You might not have all the features, but it's usable regardless. What I'm saying is that having the DVD I've found many ways to use it, not necessarily just using the way it was intended, from the main program. I haven't tried it with PC emulation on a mac, but I think it should also work that way.

Oud.Proff - 7-5-2012 at 08:32 AM

I'd like to add a few points for people that don't have a standard PC. The media files that are the actual examples can be played on just about any system. The book can be viewed with any PDF viewer. The spreadsheet can be used with many programs. You might not have all the features, but it's usable regardless. What I'm saying is that having the DVD I've found many ways to use it, not necessarily just using the way it was intended, from the main program. I haven't tried it with PC emulation on a mac, but I think it should also work that way.

Thanks for the information. Indeed I was told by some Mac users that they - somehow - managed to make the product work, indirectly.

Brian Prunka - 7-6-2012 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Oud.Proff  

Thanks for the information. Indeed I was told by some Mac users that they - somehow - managed to make the product work, indirectly.

Good to know.

oudy allen - 8-31-2012 at 04:14 AM

Hey guys,

like many others I've also ordered the Multimedia DVD. I received it a few days ago and tried to get it to work but unfortunately it did not work on my PC system (Windows Vista). I got in touch with Oudproff regarding this issue and we found out that running this DVD on Windows Vista is apparently not possible. Still, he told me that some guys have managed to get it to work. Is there possibly anybody who has faced the same problem? Any experiences or advices what to do?

fernandraynaud - 8-31-2012 at 07:13 PM

There are several components on this wonderful DVD.

There are the actual tutorial videos, they are numbered .DAT files in the OudProff Multimedia folder. If you copy the whole disk onto your PC/Mac hard drive, you can change their extension from .dat to .mpg, and then you can easily view them with one of the many programs that play video clips.

Then in the Docs folder there are explanation files and booklets in PDF format, those are immediately viewable with Acrobat Viewer.

In the Docs folder there's also the .XLS spreadsheet that is the Maqam Identifier. You can view that with many programs. The way it "works" as a finder is by starting out showing the full list, then filtering the full set by specifying the intervals. In Excel you do this most easily with drop-downs, which is the most convenient, but you can also do it other ways. You need to experiment with what you have, whether it allows you to filter in order to search, but in any case you'll likely be able to see the full spreadsheet.

Then there are those accursed audio files that play as background music whether you want them to or not, they keep "coming back".

Finally there's a Windows executable .exe file that ties it all together so the Maqamat Book's individual chapter loose PDFs are presented in a window with some "navigation" buttons and with the video files triggered by clicking on a button. AND it keeps ignoring your request to not play those bloody background tunes ;-)

I cannot imagine why that EXE would not run in Vista, in fact I have run it under XP, Vista 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. I think on a mac and Linux it would run under Windows emulation, it's really a very simple shell that just displays the PDFs and, when you click on the button, triggers the MPGs to play the video.

The only gotcha might be if it uses DDE to invoke the services of Acrobat and a Media Player. That's an old way of doing things, and it might break under some conditions. In that case just work with the individual files.

If you have the .dat files on your hard drive renamed to .mpg, you can view each one and then rename it to the appropriate Maqam (that it displays clearly as it's playing). There are some that just show the fingering on a given maqam, and there is usually one or more longer examples, so you might name the main one AjamDefinition.mpg, then AjamExample1.mpg and so on. It's actually a good way to survey the Maqamat.

Then in the Docs folder you have the overall book as one big PDF, and as the individual Maqam chapters, so you study it in order, starting say with Ajam, then you play the videos for Ajam., and keep going.

It's only a minor inconvenience to have to do that renaming, and then after that you can quickly find the videos by maqam name.

You end up with the exact same material as when you run the top level EXE to read the Maqamat PDFs and click to play the videos. In reality you tend to use the system one Maqam at a time, study the fingering, read about it, play the examples, practice, meditate, play some more. So it's a minor nuisance, not a catastrophe, to not have that overall shell program.

Frankly, to rebuild that structure to use a web browser so it would be compatible with every computer is not a big broject, and the next version really should be done that way.

The Maqam Finder spreadsheet also could be rebuilt in a web shell.

In any case, I've provided enough information here so you can take advantage of the explanations AND the great video tutorials no matter what operating system you're running. The first step is to copy the entire DVD to your hard drive.

oudy allen - 9-1-2012 at 04:35 AM

Thank you Fernand, but unfortunately it is not possible to view the files, no matter what I do. I tried to copy the entire DVD to my hard drive, as you suggested, but that didn't solve the problem since I still couldn't see the files. All I could see was an empty folder named OudProffMultimedia. Strangely the folder is not really empty as there are definetly files on the disc but unfortunately I don't have access to them. I am using Windows Vista / 32 bit and my system also fulfills all the other system requirements listed by OudProff. This is really annoying. :)

fernandraynaud - 9-2-2012 at 01:18 AM

Something is very wrong that you can probably figure out. You are not being clear as to what takes place. Can you run the main EXE? Can you read the texts from the main program? Can you view the PDFs from the DVD copy on your hard drive? If the media folder is empty after you have copied the Dvd to hard drive, what do you see if you do a DIR from a command prompt? Are files hidden? Try a DIR /ah. What size does the Properties for that directory show? How do know there are files there if you have no access to them? Have you checked permissions?

It's not at all impossible the disk is bad. Sometimes the burner creates the directory structure so you see what looks like files with non-zero length, but it doesn't do the burn all the way, so some or all of the files in a directory are not burned on the disk, they are actually empty shells. In the Windows explorer such files can appear sort of greyed-out. If you drag and drop such a file on a media player you can see that it has no playable length. It can be very confusing. I would ask for a replacement disk. My detailed instructions were intended more for people running MacOS or Linux. Under Windows it should just work, I have used it under 32 bit Vista, I think it will work for you once the disk is replaced. But meanwhile you can try to figure out if there is some other problem.

oudy allen - 9-2-2012 at 03:40 AM

Well, I can't run any files since I don't see them at all. When I insert the DVD and open the DVD drive, all I can see is one folder called OudProffMultimedia - nothing else. The folder itself contains no files. However, the properties of the DVD show that the disc has a size of 4,13 GB. There are strangely no hidden files - I've already checked it. OudProff told me that it was normal that I can't see any files since the system was programmed that way. He said that the disc hasn't been tested under Vista and Vista might be causing problems. I think this is strange since it works on XP and Windows 7. Why shouldn't it work under Vista?

fernandraynaud - 9-2-2012 at 04:24 PM

You have not told us whether a program starts up if you "auto-run" the disk? Please consider the points below.

1) I have not tested it under 64 bit Vista, but it runs fine under Vista 32 Ultimate SP2, see below. It's not correct that it doesn't work on Vista. It also runs fine under 64 bit Windows 7. No idea yet why it fails on your PC.

2) The files DO have the attribute "Hidden" and "Read-only" as you can see below, as an ineffective form of copy protection that just creates problems. You cannot see them until a) you copy the DVD to you hard drive and change the attributes, or b) have your Windows Explorer set to "show hidden files". This latter point could be very important, as the shell program might not be smart enough to see them either. So set your Explorer to show hidden files.

3) To play the files standalone, it is best to copy the whole DVD to your hard drive, clear the "hidden" and "Read-only" attributes, and change the extensions of the .DAT files to .MPG.

4) It could be that you have a virus that tries to hide by specifically messing with your access to "hidden" files.

5) It is a known problem that a disk can get improperly burned and shows up as full, even with valid-looking directories and files, but with no readable data inside. That seems to be due to a mismatch between the burner laser energy and the media, which ends up borderline-heated by the laser. Some such disks can even pass a verify on the original burner drive, and can also sometimes be read OK on some reader drives, not on others.

6) So, if you can't play say the AP110.DAT video file once you've copied it to your hard drive and changed its extension to .MPG or .AVI, please ask for a replacement disk.

MaqamatOnVista2m2.png - 516kB MaqamatOnVista3m.png - 62kB

oudy allen - 9-3-2012 at 05:09 AM

Hello Fernand,

thank you very much for you kind help. Indeed the files on the disc were hidden and read-only. I copied the whole content of the disc to my hard drive and set the explorer options to "show hidden files" as you described and suddenly all the files got visible. :) Strangely the Auto Play does not work on the disc. As you've already stated, maybe the shell program wasn't smart enough to see the files either. Therefore it didn't start. When I click on "OudProff@Maqamat2.exe" the shell starts and I am able to access all the data on the disc. Well, at the end we have solved the problem. :) Still, I think that it is not necessary to hide the files on the disc since it is a) not a effective measure to protect the disc content and b) apparently causing problems.

fernandraynaud - 9-3-2012 at 05:32 AM

Great! What you can do now is undo the "Hidden" attribute from all the files on your hard disk (make sure they aren't also tagged "System"), and burn the whole enchilada back to a DVD, so you have a working Learn Maqamat disk to take with you everywhere, as you wander in this vale of tears.

oudy allen - 9-3-2012 at 07:28 AM

Yes, I've already undone the "Hidden" attribute. Next I'm going to burn the whole content "Unhidden" to a DVD so I have a working disc. By the way, I haven't had enough time yet to study everything in detail but so far the disc seems to contain a lot of helpful and interesting stuff for learning maqamat. Great work by OudProff!

Oud.Proff - 9-3-2012 at 11:11 AM

Dear fernandraynaud and oudy allen,

I sincerely thank you fernandraynaud for sorting that out, and for your invaluable contribution to this forum and to this thread in particular.

oud allen, glad to know things are in motion now. Wishing that you enjoy the contents of the educational material.

Thanks too for the compliments, and wish you the very best,

fernandraynaud - 9-3-2012 at 02:42 PM

Thanks, dear Prof! Your DVD remains the most important way for newcomers to enter this whole new musical world. I think it should be in every new oudy's collection. We eagerly await the next expanded and universally runnable version, on an 8 Gb disk!

oudy allen - 9-4-2012 at 03:43 AM

I am sure I will, OudProff. Thank you!!

Damaged Oud Prof CD

christheoudguy - 11-11-2012 at 01:39 PM

Hey Oud Prof,

Thanks for all your hard work. Content wise this looks amazing. Unfortunately, the technical errors are beyond repair on this disc. I received this as my favorite Christmas gift last year and have only just now had the time to get to it.
I am pretty technical and read and attempted all the forum advice. However, after freezin up numerous times, I copied files and i am getting insane drag and certain of the files are not copyable. I have even tried copying each Dat file individually. For example ap99.dat in my copying app teracopy which is pretty good for pulling troubled files just keeps attempting to read the file. Some of the other Dat files produce CRC errors. The point is it doesn't play. When i run off the disc, it just freezes up. How can i go about getting a replacement program?

Thanks and have a nice day
Chris

Absolutely Wonderful

baseelo - 11-15-2012 at 05:01 PM

Hi OudProff,

I've been watching your clips on youtube. Your playing is absolutely wonderful. I also saw that clip of your DVD and I think it is really great. Thank you for the effort you put in this work. I've just sent you an email to see if there is a way to get the DVD quickly, because when I tried to get it on Ebay it said that it needs 2 weeks to get it (expedited!!) to my address in Michigan, USA.

I really recommend that you put it on Amazon. It is more popular and much faster.

Thank you again.