Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tools & Repairs
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 11:42 AM
Tools & Repairs

I have added some pages for Tools and a neck re-set repair I hope these are helpful to you do-it yourselfers.

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 03:23 PM

Thanks for the tips Doc. Do you set back the neck to compensate for the strings' pull? I haven't noticed much of an effect on my oud when using the Aquila ste which is not low tension.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 10:44 PM

The set back is to get the optimum action of 2-3mm high at the body joint. This can vary according to the height of the bridge string holes and where the string loop is positioned. If the neck is set up aligned straight to the bridge/soundboard corner the action will be 4-5mm. This is okay for some players, but the lower you go the faster it gets. There is a price to pay, and it is volume. A higher action will be a louder oud, but a lower one is easier and faster to play. Of course the fingerboard must be absolutely flat and not bend with the string tension. I must add a stiffener to an old oud I'm restoring because the neck is bending when it's tuned up. The usual cause is the pegbox cut, which weakens the neck considerably if it's cut too deep. In the case of this old oud, the neck may have been shaved down in the past as there is only about 3-4mm of wood above the pegbox cut. Not enough to stay straight, I'm afraid. This condition is why I add a stiffener in the neck of my ouds, and it works. The action will raise by 1/2 - 1mm after the body settles into the tension of the strings, but the neck must remain straight and the fingerboard flat or the 3rd and 4th strings will mute or buzz in the 2nd and/or 3rd position.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 01:01 PM

Maybe I should start a new thread, but I had a question about Elie's comment. Are the Aquilas significantly higher tension? I have a couple of older Turkish ouds, which I tune EABead, one of which has LaBellas, and the other Aquilas. I really love the Aquilas, but if it is significantly higher tension, I might change them. If I tune the oud down a bit (say one whole tone), would that significantly change the tension? I know it would lessen somewhat, but very much? Somebody else on the board had suggested that, and it seems like a good idea. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 05:45 PM

Hi Jonathan,

I used the Arabic Aquila set and did a little experiment. My conclusion is that the action didn't change by any measurable amount and if it did, it would have to be.25 mm or less at the neck / bowl joint.

Check out the threads below on the topic:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1510
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1444
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1471
oudmaker
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 07:02 PM

Gentlemen
If you have a decent oud the action wont change due to tuning. You can even
break the string. Again we are talking about a DECENT oud.
Regards All
Dincer

Go To Top