Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Building my first oud...
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 8-26-2005 at 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bcearthtones
I meant to mention, have you seen Astrid's web site? She uses a clothes inron to bend! Whatever works.
S

Interesting, Could you post a link?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-26-2005 at 07:19 AM

http://www.oudinfo.de/

Jay
Oud Lover

Mood: Feelin' Good

[*] posted on 8-28-2005 at 07:59 PM
Bending a rib

Thanks for the advice, Scott. Looking forward to seeing the progress on your wife's lute and also the lavta.

I finally tried out my bending apparatus today. As the doc pointed out, steel doesn't have good heat transfer characteristics; It takes a while to heat up with the bulb, but eventually it does get hot enough to boil off water. You can tell it's sluggish, and when the wood takes away its heat it needs a moment to respond. Tomorrow I think I'll look around the shop at school and see if there's any copper pipe scraps that I might be able to substitute.

I did end up using the water spritzer before bending.. maybe after I get a few ribs bent without cracking them I'll move on to dry bending as you kindly suggested, Dincer Bey.

At any rate, I was able to get the first rib bent pretty well to form, and I used the MDF/glass surface to joint it.

This rib is just for practice, since I cracked some of the grain while bending. After bending, I also realized that my neck and tail blocks could use a little more shaping to match the form, so I'll need to adjust those before proceeding further.

Well that's all I have for today.. Jameel great job updating your site; the restoration looks incredible!

Jay
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 08:18 AM

I suggest looking for aluminum pipe and a large diameter which will transfer heat faster, and to a larger area of the rib surface. This will reduce the tendency to brack ribs. Its a matter of experience to judge how much pressure to apply and when to back off. Make plenty of extra ribs as they will break now and then. (I still do).

syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 03:25 AM

MR. JAY

I am very impressed by people like you who takes there time to build a OUD , I would follow up all the way till the end .I am ordering DR. OUDs book today just for my general knowledge .I like the Guy he is very helpful and has a lots of knwoledge in many areas. But hey Jay leep it up hope to see a very nice sounding Oud soon. Best Regards , Samir,California:applause::buttrock::xtreme::))
Jay
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 09:00 AM

Hey Samir,

Thanks for your nice comments. I think you'll find that Dr. Oud's book is very interesting, even if you don't plan on building. There's a ton of knowledge in there, including tips on maintaining and caring for your oud too.

I'm glad you all are following my project.. I'll definitely post sound clips as soon as it's done, but at the rate I'm going it may be a while :) (and oh yeah did I mention that I don't know how to play the oud- I'll need help from you guys when this is done ;) )

cheers,

Jay
AusOudlover
Oud Admirer

Mood: Cheerful

[*] posted on 10-31-2005 at 07:18 PM

Hi Jay, like you I'm working on my first oud following Richard's book, but I thought I might suggest 3" copper pipe which you can scrounge from a good plumber. cut one end into strips 1" wide fold these across to close the end (but not airtight. Heat can be safely provided by a heat gun which are available here in Australia for $20.00. This gives no ectrical risk or burn risk as would a gas torch. This has worked well for me on two guitars. Ken
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 10-31-2005 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AusOudlover
Hi Jay, like you I'm working on my first oud following Richard's book, but I thought I might suggest 3" copper pipe which you can scrounge from a good plumber. cut one end into strips 1" wide fold these across to close the end (but not airtight. Heat can be safely provided by a heat gun which are available here in Australia for $20.00. This gives no ectrical risk or burn risk as would a gas torch. This has worked well for me on two guitars. Ken

Welcome to the forums Ken. I have sent you a U2U.

Regards,

Greg
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
... Heat can be safely provided by a heat gun which are available here in Australia for $20.00. This gives no ectrical risk or burn risk as would a gas torch. ... Ken

So what powers your heat gun? Solar? Nucleur? It seems that any heat has a burn risk of some sort associated with it. If it can scorch wood it can surely scorch skin, no?
AusOudlover
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 06:17 PM

I'm sorry not to have explained myself fully. The heat gun is an electrically powered device used generally for things such as paint stripping. If it is positioned in a way that places the nozzle in the copper tube the only hot surface is the tube. it is of course posible to burn oneself if the tube is touched. This heating is managed without any flame which is a far greater risk I believe. I know that many members of the Australian Association of Musical Instrument Makers Association have turned to this style of bender if they can't afford a professional device. Another thing I have found useful for small items such as purfling is a household steam generator of the type sold for cleaning bathrooms etc. this provides heat and moisture in one hit.:)
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 06:35 PM

Does it blow hot air like a hair blowdryer or just heats up?
AusOudlover
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 08:21 PM

It blows hot air but much hotter than a hairdryer. I made the mistake with my first one of completely closing the end of the tube, the air had nowhere to go and came back onto the hater and melted the plastic parts.:(
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AusOudlover
.... Another thing I have found useful for small items such as purfling is a household steam generator of the type sold for cleaning bathrooms etc. this provides heat and moisture in one hit.:)

I use a small cappuccino machine and bent the steam pipe out, put a small heater hose on it and use it for steaming glue joints apart myself. So you use it to soften purfling for bending? hmmm, I'll have to try that. I'm always breaking rosewood edsge bands, they get so brittle when dried out by dry heat. The cappuccino machine is also handy for quickly heating up a cup of water for my hide glue/fondue pot or tea. I was pulling your leg about the heat gun - I use one myself all the time to remove synthetic glues, even epoxys, carefully, of course.

Jay
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 03:07 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys... I've been side-tracked for a while but hopefully I'll have some more pics real soon. The "Oud Projects Forum" is really taking off! I'm learning alot from all of your posts. Glad to watch the Doc's restoration here, and Jameel's final product is outstanding!

It turns out my bending iron works just fine with a little practice, so I'm sticking with it for now... maybe I'll soup it up on my next build. I am now able to bend the ribs dry and without cracking them.

After several attempts at glueing up the first ribs I've yet to be successful... I think I twisted the first rib a little on glue-up so it was hard to fit the second without gaps in the joint. So now I'm starting all over with the first rib and we'll see if I can be more careful this time :).

Cheers,

Jay
syrianoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2005 at 06:37 PM

Good Job jay keep going :cool::cool:;);)
Mazin
Oud Lover

Mood: respect to all

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 11:45 AM

WE ARE WAITING MAN!

good luck

Maz
wissam
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-6-2007 at 09:08 PM

Great Job so far....

Keep going ... we can't wait for the finished product.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top