Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Rookie wallhanger rehab
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 09:48 AM

Nice job Jim, I have found that each oud reacts differently to strings both in gauges and fabrication. I found GHS to be at the bottom of my list. D'Adarrio makes individual strings available for classical guitars (same stuff) that allows you to gauge each course to balance the volume across the range. Thin Man String company sells them. If some strings are stronger or weaker (can happen) you end up compromising with your technique, which is like running a race with a slipper on one foot and a logger's boot on the other. I confess that I've used old Tru-oil even after it's skinned over - I just strain it and add a bit ot turpentine to dry it out, it seems ok to me...

carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 11:18 AM

Thanks, all, for the kind words and help over time. It means a lot to get good opinions, and problems solved. More pictures, eh? The good stuff, or the lapses in judgement? Plenty of both on hand...

In just a couple of days, having the strings up (close) to pitch, it's sounding stronger, the bottom could develop. I poked around sites looking at string brands & gauges; I'll try some different things once it's a little stabilized and played in. Also, I guess that fir top is maybe a bit stiffer than spruce at the same thickness, could stand a stouter string. Maybe. Our tireless R&D Dep't is on the case. (Doug fir is really a flavor of spruce, they tell me, so...)

Anyway, from playing by-ear fiddle for longer than I care to think about, I notice some tunes just happily fall under the fingers. No doubt written by fiddlers; some are obviously button or piano accordion-written, flute, pipes, what have you, and they feel different. (To me.) Oud tunes will probably feel natural on an oud, wouldn't you think? Just a matter of time and whacking at it. (I hope.)

Did a bit more nut fine-tuning, I'm sure that'll be 'just nice' soon. And another tip of the hat to Dr Oud for the clear, simple instructions in the book. You got to toss the kibble over where the slow dogs can get some, and a slow dog thanks you.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 12:27 PM

Dear Carpenter,

Great job on the oud, it looks totally cool. Like Richard sez, experimenting with strings can make quite a difference, and the D'darrio nylon guitar strings are good quality, and allow for lots of experimenting. For now, the strings and oud are still adjusting, and it'll take the strings a few weeks to settle down. Just keep playing it, keep it off the wall !!

Regards...paulO
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 11:43 AM
Despite popular demand

Got a few detail pictures. The pegbox is fairly nice; I'm monkeying around with the string alignment. My theory, and I like to think I've grown as a theorist, is that the straighter shot the string takes from the nut to the peg, the happier the string, and the tone. Next time (okay, I'm thinking there will be another oud built - don't tell the missus, she'd have my head on a pike), I think I'd flatten the pegbox/neck angle a couple of degrees; there is a course that hits the peg when it goes over, and I'd like 'em hanging out in the air. Live and learn...and maybe it's overly fussy, but I've got to press my advantages.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 11:49 AM
The top

Here's the top. About all I can say is that it's easy to look at. I would move the pickguard (don't know the accepted name...) closer to the bridge. Somewhere in my studies, I read that (physics-wise) the ideal place to sound a string is at 7/8 of the length, open or stopped. I dunno. I tend to pick and bow where it sounds good; haven't really looked, being busy playing at the time, but it maybe sounds right.

Outside photos, notice - it's sunny in Oregon! About time.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 12:00 PM
And

A litle detail of the beard (again, I'm sure there's a real name...). Hadn't done any inlay for a while, but it turned out well. Also the results of my pre-glued-edge-binding-sandwich approach - the right side, and the rest, looks good, but (oopsie!) there's a little gaposis on the left. What can I say? It hid under the tape? Too late now, and no excuses. Next time, museum quality!

The beauty of the process, observe and (hopefully) learn. And yeah, I'm getting firmer in thinking there will be "next time." Friend of mine has some Port Orford cedar that would make a nice top...I'd lose money letting it sit there.

That's all, folks.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 12:16 PM

Great pics. Looks very nice. We're still waiting to hear it, fiddle tunes or not. I'd love to hear a fiddle tune. For pegbox layout, check this page http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1048&pa...

Dincer has a great design that prevents any string from touching another. Very clever.

carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 12:39 PM
Aha!

I thought it was a great theory! I'll check it out.

I have to get some kind of recording trip together; by the time that happens, I might actually be able to play something - tho' I'm starting to get the feel. I really have to pay attention to what peg I'm turning, I noticed that right off.

And I just have to include this picture; friend of mine is making Norris panel and smoother planes. Jaw-dropping attention to detail...anyhow, he made me this dandy block plane. (I requested the yew infill out of sentiment, he usually does rosewood or ebony.) Nothing like a sharp plane, I can do it all day; sharp tools and good wood! Shavings like a de-laminated piece of Kleenex! Great toy, and I'll probably never use it to capacity, but I'll try. And I'm now a convert to the sticky-back-adhesive-and-surface-plate school of sharpening - no more bellied-out waterstones to flatten! Quick and easy! (Well, I do keep an 8000 stone for that last little bit, of course.)
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 12:53 PM

Ok, now you've got my attention. Who is your friend? That is an incredible plane. I have a few Lie-Nielsens, but this is in a class by itself. I'd love to have one of those.

carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 01:02 PM
Definitely nice lifetime investment

Um - I guess this isn't really the place for commercial efforts - I'm at artcarp@efn.org - email me, and I'll get you his address. We're slowly working on a website for his efforts, but his provider's currently on the fritz; might have to go the snail-mail route. Let me know, okay?

Here's a nice smoother, jusr for drooling over...
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 03:09 PM

Oh my, that is gorgeous....

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 04:00 PM

There so sexy I would say that these are xxx rated pictures :D
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 04:42 PM