Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Learn Maqamat on the OUD - VERSION 2
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-1-2012 at 04:35 AM

Thank you Fernand, but unfortunately it is not possible to view the files, no matter what I do. I tried to copy the entire DVD to my hard drive, as you suggested, but that didn't solve the problem since I still couldn't see the files. All I could see was an empty folder named OudProffMultimedia. Strangely the folder is not really empty as there are definetly files on the disc but unfortunately I don't have access to them. I am using Windows Vista / 32 bit and my system also fulfills all the other system requirements listed by OudProff. This is really annoying. :)
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 01:18 AM

Something is very wrong that you can probably figure out. You are not being clear as to what takes place. Can you run the main EXE? Can you read the texts from the main program? Can you view the PDFs from the DVD copy on your hard drive? If the media folder is empty after you have copied the Dvd to hard drive, what do you see if you do a DIR from a command prompt? Are files hidden? Try a DIR /ah. What size does the Properties for that directory show? How do know there are files there if you have no access to them? Have you checked permissions?

It's not at all impossible the disk is bad. Sometimes the burner creates the directory structure so you see what looks like files with non-zero length, but it doesn't do the burn all the way, so some or all of the files in a directory are not burned on the disk, they are actually empty shells. In the Windows explorer such files can appear sort of greyed-out. If you drag and drop such a file on a media player you can see that it has no playable length. It can be very confusing. I would ask for a replacement disk. My detailed instructions were intended more for people running MacOS or Linux. Under Windows it should just work, I have used it under 32 bit Vista, I think it will work for you once the disk is replaced. But meanwhile you can try to figure out if there is some other problem.
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 03:40 AM

Well, I can't run any files since I don't see them at all. When I insert the DVD and open the DVD drive, all I can see is one folder called OudProffMultimedia - nothing else. The folder itself contains no files. However, the properties of the DVD show that the disc has a size of 4,13 GB. There are strangely no hidden files - I've already checked it. OudProff told me that it was normal that I can't see any files since the system was programmed that way. He said that the disc hasn't been tested under Vista and Vista might be causing problems. I think this is strange since it works on XP and Windows 7. Why shouldn't it work under Vista?
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 04:24 PM

You have not told us whether a program starts up if you "auto-run" the disk? Please consider the points below.

1) I have not tested it under 64 bit Vista, but it runs fine under Vista 32 Ultimate SP2, see below. It's not correct that it doesn't work on Vista. It also runs fine under 64 bit Windows 7. No idea yet why it fails on your PC.

2) The files DO have the attribute "Hidden" and "Read-only" as you can see below, as an ineffective form of copy protection that just creates problems. You cannot see them until a) you copy the DVD to you hard drive and change the attributes, or b) have your Windows Explorer set to "show hidden files". This latter point could be very important, as the shell program might not be smart enough to see them either. So set your Explorer to show hidden files.

3) To play the files standalone, it is best to copy the whole DVD to your hard drive, clear the "hidden" and "Read-only" attributes, and change the extensions of the .DAT files to .MPG.

4) It could be that you have a virus that tries to hide by specifically messing with your access to "hidden" files.

5) It is a known problem that a disk can get improperly burned and shows up as full, even with valid-looking directories and files, but with no readable data inside. That seems to be due to a mismatch between the burner laser energy and the media, which ends up borderline-heated by the laser. Some such disks can even pass a verify on the original burner drive, and can also sometimes be read OK on some reader drives, not on others.

6) So, if you can't play say the AP110.DAT video file once you've copied it to your hard drive and changed its extension to .MPG or .AVI, please ask for a replacement disk.

MaqamatOnVista2m2.png - 516kB MaqamatOnVista3m.png - 62kB
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 05:09 AM

Hello Fernand,

thank you very much for you kind help. Indeed the files on the disc were hidden and read-only. I copied the whole content of the disc to my hard drive and set the explorer options to "show hidden files" as you described and suddenly all the files got visible. :) Strangely the Auto Play does not work on the disc. As you've already stated, maybe the shell program wasn't smart enough to see the files either. Therefore it didn't start. When I click on "OudProff@Maqamat2.exe" the shell starts and I am able to access all the data on the disc. Well, at the end we have solved the problem. :) Still, I think that it is not necessary to hide the files on the disc since it is a) not a effective measure to protect the disc content and b) apparently causing problems.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 05:32 AM

Great! What you can do now is undo the "Hidden" attribute from all the files on your hard disk (make sure they aren't also tagged "System"), and burn the whole enchilada back to a DVD, so you have a working Learn Maqamat disk to take with you everywhere, as you wander in this vale of tears.

oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 07:28 AM

Yes, I've already undone the "Hidden" attribute. Next I'm going to burn the whole content "Unhidden" to a DVD so I have a working disc. By the way, I haven't had enough time yet to study everything in detail but so far the disc seems to contain a lot of helpful and interesting stuff for learning maqamat. Great work by OudProff!
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

Mood: Sunbati Obsession

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 11:11 AM

Dear fernandraynaud and oudy allen,

I sincerely thank you fernandraynaud for sorting that out, and for your invaluable contribution to this forum and to this thread in particular.

oud allen, glad to know things are in motion now. Wishing that you enjoy the contents of the educational material.

Thanks too for the compliments, and wish you the very best,
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-3-2012 at 02:42 PM

Thanks, dear Prof! Your DVD remains the most important way for newcomers to enter this whole new musical world. I think it should be in every new oudy's collection. We eagerly await the next expanded and universally runnable version, on an 8 Gb disk!
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 03:43 AM

I am sure I will, OudProff. Thank you!!
christheoudguy
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 01:39 PM
Damaged Oud Prof CD

Hey Oud Prof,

Thanks for all your hard work. Content wise this looks amazing. Unfortunately, the technical errors are beyond repair on this disc. I received this as my favorite Christmas gift last year and have only just now had the time to get to it.
I am pretty technical and read and attempted all the forum advice. However, after freezin up numerous times, I copied files and i am getting insane drag and certain of the files are not copyable. I have even tried copying each Dat file individually. For example ap99.dat in my copying app teracopy which is pretty good for pulling troubled files just keeps attempting to read the file. Some of the other Dat files produce CRC errors. The point is it doesn't play. When i run off the disc, it just freezes up. How can i go about getting a replacement program?

Thanks and have a nice day
Chris
baseelo
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 05:01 PM
Absolutely Wonderful

Hi OudProff,

I've been watching your clips on youtube. Your playing is absolutely wonderful. I also saw that clip of your DVD and I think it is really great. Thank you for the effort you put in this work. I've just sent you an email to see if there is a way to get the DVD quickly, because when I tried to get it on Ebay it said that it needs 2 weeks to get it (expedited!!) to my address in Michigan, USA.

I really recommend that you put it on Amazon. It is more popular and much faster.

Thank you again.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top