Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Khalifeh "tourist oud"
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 12:51 AM

Great thread, very informative. Pure comedy as well, but then so are Khalifeh's ouds by the look of things!

Cheers Mike for that brilliant video, I'd never seen it before. Bill, a warped neck on one oud is unlucky, but on two?
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 05:57 AM

spyros -

i live in italy. i lived in s.f. briefly in the '70's.

we're talking about the same instrument. i had a look at the tag inside but couldn't distinguish numbers from letters in the arabic script so i have no idea when it was made. there's a little telephone symbol with - what i imagine is - a telephone number underneath it but it's been crossed-out with a ball point pen. this would indicate that they've changed address so sending 'round some syrians in suits to remonstrate with them forceably for their shoddy workmanship is, alas, no longer an option.

if you were thinking of talking me through a major, wood-working type operation i'm afraid i'll have to say no. i enjoy fiddleing around with little bits like bone nuts and risha but anything that involves a face lift and re-arranging the oud's innards is beyond my capacity, i'm afraid. if it's low-tech and simple to do, i'm your man.

chuck - yes, two warped necks are unfortunate but as they were both gifts, i think i've been blessed.

ever hopeful - bill
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 07:29 AM

Hi Bill,

Could it be that there is too much tension in the strings attached to the farthest away pegs?

Fixing a warpped neck is a major operation. It involves sawing off the neck at the block.

Take care,
Elie
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 01:28 PM

ahhhh...i was afraid of that.

i don't know what tarik is going to do with his khalifeh oud but what i'm going to do is put it back in its bag, put the bag in the closet and then i'm going to close the door.

kind regards - bill
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 5-22-2004 at 08:58 PM
Warped neck

Dammit Bill, and I was going to do the video surgery thing with you man, just like in the movies.

I'll be in Greece this summer, maybe I can stop by in Italy and visit with you and your collection.

Anyway, I'm attaching a little blurb by Dr. Oud (Richard Hankey) on crooked necks and some remedies, but I'm afraid most of them require a medical degree in oud surgery, which, sadly, leaves you out.

Good Luck
Spyros C.
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 09:39 AM
SF?

Spyros,
I live and work in San Fran- Let me know if you want to take a look at my project, I dont know if it is one the "fake" Ali Khalifehs or not- Maybe you could help me out

Tarik
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 5-24-2004 at 03:38 PM
Getting together

Hey brother,

You're in Oakland, I'm in Concord and I go to Hayward 3 times a week. We can meet no problem.

Here's my e-mail, send me your phone # and other details and we can set-up a meeting.

Salamat
Spyros C.
spycamsc@netscape.net
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top