Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  13
Author: Subject: My next oud project
Gabriel
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 07:11 PM

Thanks for your website Jameel, i remember folowing your last project
it was great!!:applause::applause:
it just shows you where patients gets you:)
you improve every time

keep it up
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 02:37 PM
Neck block notch

Thanks Mav and Gabriel! :wavey: You motivate me.

The Doc (Richard Hankey) has a fantastic way of tying the back, neck and pegbox together with a "stringer" of wood that runs through the neck and pegbox. It stiffens the neck and locks the pegbox to the neck with lots of glue area. The only possible weakness, in my opinion, in the whole arrangement is the fit of the stringer in the neck block in the back. On my first oud I made this fit extremely precisely, but I have always thought that if this joint somehow failed over time and wood movement, there would be no mechanical means to hold it together. Now maybe I'm being a bit too tedious, since the entire oud is held together with glue anyway. Nevertheless, this particular joint cannot be clamped, but only slid into place, the fit of the joint being the only means by which a good glue bond is achieved. I had the idea to combine a dovetailed mortise with Richard's stringer. I'll glue wedges at the end of the stringer where it enters the neck block. This doesn't solve the problem of not being able to clamp this joint, it will still have to be slid into place and rely on the fit only for a good bond, but now I'll have some mechanical advantage of the dovetail, which in itself will resist the pull of the neck under string tension much more than a flat stringer, which has no mechanical advantage. The dovetail doesn't strengthen the glue bond, it prevents a weakening of the glue bond by eliminating the potential movement found in the straight stringer method. In effect since I will be adding the wedges to make the stringer a dovetail, I considered that this joint is really no different than the straight stringer. But what makes this different is that I am able to clamp the wedges onto the stringer guaranteeing a much better glue bond than simply sliding the joint together.

I cut the dovetailed mortise with a tilting table saw jig, and cleaned up the bottom with a chisel.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-5-2005 at 09:06 PM

well done Jameel.
Looks like this method is going to provide a lot of resisstance to any type of pull. It seems the end of the neck will lock in there verry nicely.
Great work
Samir
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 04:39 PM
Neck...

The jig is to position the wedges accurately.

I also didn't cut through the pegbox this time, but left some material intact, for extra strength.

Next step is to shape the neck round.

tezza
Oud Addict

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 6-12-2005 at 09:24 PM

Jameel, that inlay on the back of the pegbox looks awesome and the stringer idea looks like it's going to work out fine. Brilliant work once again.
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 02:53 PM

hi
jameel its keeps getting beter
thx
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 06:41 PM
Neck shaping and inlay

Thanks for the compliments. I'm hoping you are all learning as much as I am this time. I've never done inlay to this extent before, and I have to admit it doesn't take as long as I though it would. It's tedious work, but the rewards are amazing.

Here's a couple shots of the neck after final shaping. I inlayed the peices (they were extra thick to allow for the curve of the neck) before shaping the neck so I had a nice flat surface to work on. When I glued the neck together, the sides slipped a little and I had to refit at the neck and pegbox, not much, maybe 1/128", so it went fast. I should have made a jig for holding the neck halves in perfect alignment while gluing. Butting them to the neck block isn't enough, especially when the clamp pressure is applied.....

On to the face.....

samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 6-15-2005 at 07:26 PM

Wow Jameel, I am amazed at your craft. I can't wait to try it myself :airguitar:

Hmm . . Are you sure you don't have any Nahat blood in your genes? :bowdown:
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-16-2005 at 09:22 AM

You continue like this Iam gona be forced to order one!! :))
Keep it up Jameelo
john (beloved) habib
Oud Junkie

Mood: love my new oud

[*] posted on 6-17-2005 at 08:48 AM
Wow Jameel

I am absolutely AMAZED! I can't believe the amazing work you're doing and I am totaly in AWE! Keep up the work!

Maybe you're going to work on building a Kanun some time :) hehe...

Thanks for letting us in on the work you're doing... it's absolutely fantastic.

I wish I could make one! hehe... take care

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-17-2005 at 03:38 PM

Thanks guys! You're too nice! I'm just an amateur. Hey, this thing could end up sounding like a banjo!

I turned a little finial for the cap on the end of the peg box. I used Tagua nut for the cap and the finial. First time turning this material. I shattered two nuts before I got this far, just about gave me a heart attack! This stuff is hard to turn, but it polishes up nicely. Not quite as white as bone, but more creamy than bone.

Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 6-20-2005 at 07:26 PM

Jameel, your work is absolutly BEAUTIFUL and sure that everyone keeping up with your progess beleives the same. I sincerely hope it sounds as beautiful as it looks. We are all waiting patiently for the finished work of art.

http://www.geocities.com/antronig/oud.html
kasos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 12:01 PM

Thank you so much for the time and effort you spent sharing your project with the rest of us. Like so many others, I'm thrilled and inspired by your progress, and stand in awe of your skill and dedication. All the best!

Mark/Kasos
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 6-21-2005 at 07:40 PM

Man Jameel,

I'm just thinking, with a bowl that beautiful, how awesome is the face going to look? I can't wait to see it my friend.

regards,
Adnan
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 06:28 PM
Pegs

Thanks everyone for such nice comments. I really appreciate it. Thanks also to Mike for making the best place on the web for oud. Making this oud would'nt be half as fun if I couldn't share the experience with you all. :airguitar:

I haven't had much time (hey, it's summer) to work on the oud the last few weeks, but I did get the pegs fit in the pegbox. I was thinking of posting a step by step on how to do it, and I will if there is enough interest. These are Indian rosewood (Palisander) pegs with a mother of pearl dot on the end. The MOP really adds a nice sparkle to the pegs. These are really nicely made pegs. I got them from http://www.tonewood.sk a company in Slovakia. They ended up costing a little less than $4 each, so they aren't the cheapest, but I do like them. They'll match the rosewood fingerboard and pickguard I plan to use.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 06:31 PM
Bone slabs for the shamsiyya

I finally found a good source for bone slabs for shamsiyya. I got these from Jantz Supply (http://www.knifemaking.com). They are about $7 a pair, and way bigger than any guitar saddle. Not cheap, but if you've ever cut bone on a bandsaw, you'd be happy to pay this. I'll thin these down and glue them to some plywood for the large and small rosettes.

Gabriel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 08:21 PM

Those pegs sound great jameel i am currently looking for some how much would a set be?
those inlays are great:applause::applause::applause:
i realy fell sorry for those who are blind and cannot see the art of nahats
(but can hear them)
did you put some sort of finish on it seems darker than the first pictures?
i agree with Adnan the face should be a great
:applause::applause:
habeebkum
Oud Maniac

Mood: arab!

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 04:04 AM

brilliant work jameel. it all looks so accurate and clean. please post step by step instructions on how u fitted the pegs.........................:D

habeebkum
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 09:59 AM
is rosewood illegal in the us?

Hey jameel,

I've heard something about rosewood being illegal in the U.S. Is this true? Is it just illegal to sell or own as well?

Adnan
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 01:26 PM

Brazilian rosewood has been on the endagered species list since 1991. It's not illegal to own it or even buy it. It's not imported much anymore though since it's difficult to determine if it's legal or not. Luthiers still have plenty of rosewoods to choose from, like East Indian, Madagasca, Rio, Amazon, among others.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel
Those pegs sound great jameel i am currently looking for some how much would a set be?

I got them here: https://www.tonewood.sk/frames.php

Page 4 under "fittings"

Gabriel
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-7-2005 at 09:48 PM

thank you jameel i did not know how cheap pegs were!!
jameel,next time simon shaheen comes to your house he will be confused with his nahat and the one you are making !!!!!!
by the way what is ebonized??
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 02:53 PM

Hey Jameel,
I would like to add my name to the request of peg fitting tutorial version Jameelo!!:) I just dont find precice enough the way its explained elsewhere.
Thanks
Samir
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-8-2005 at 07:27 PM

I'll post the tutorial it in it's own thread.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-10-2005 at 09:22 AM
Qamriyya/Eyoun

This is the bone pictured above epoxied to 1/8" thick aircraft plywood from the hobby shop. The plywood and bone make for very consistent cutting. I didn't use a jeweler's saw frame, or even a fret saw. I mounted a 2/0 jeweler's blade in my variable speed scroll saw and set it for the slowest setting. Then I could concentrate, using both hands, on following the pattern as accurately as possible. The bone is 2mm thick, and the plywood about 3mm.

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  13

Go To Top